TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Amount of amps my batteries can handle?? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35458)

cal2vin 05-19-2010 09:18 PM

Amount of amps my batteries can handle??

I have an '08 x2 with the stock stereo and battery except I added a 10 inch sub with a 250 watt soundstorm amp (cheap). The stock amps and speakers are two jl tower speakers powered by a JL M2150. Then the in boat speakers and stock 10 inch sub are powered by the stock 6 channel JL amp. Im thinking of switching out my tower speakers and the M2150 powering them for some wetsounds. Would I have to add a battery or upgrade the alternator to accomodate the increased power required to run a set of Wetsounds pro 80's or 2 pair of pro 80's?

Thank you,

Calvin

venetrex 05-20-2010 07:25 AM

Amps

I have a 2007 X2 and with just the jl 6450 and a jl audio mhd750/1, still waiting for the mhd600/4, wordwide backorder :( for 2 months. I will suck my house battery dry if I run all of my accesories while running. i.e. stereo, ballast pumps, heater, heated seats, lights. I'll get a few hours. I ended up needing an additional charger when docked. But then realized my battery combiner was only charging sometimes. So I would reccomend at minimum a second battery. Playing the radio at a low level for 45 min while anchored and then having the boat not start never made my wife happy :(.. Or me for that matter.

timvan 05-20-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venetrex (Post 680410)
Playing the radio at a low level for 45 min while anchored and then having the boat not start never made my wife happy :(.. Or me for that matter.

Just tell her to get out and push, your going to drop the clutch :cool:

Thrall 05-20-2010 09:18 AM

I'd say 3 amps requires 2 GOOD batteries minimum. If you're going to power up 4 Pro 80s, thats another 1000W rms approx on top of the 800W or so you currently have.

JimN 05-20-2010 09:33 AM

And if you're pushing another 1800W, at 100% efficiency, a crude power formula is P=IE, where P(power) can be derived by multiplying I(current) by E(voltage) and if the alternator is charging at maximum voltage of 14.4VDC, 1800W will draw 125A. If you want to use this many amplifiers, you'll also need a higher output alternator and a heavier charging lead.

If you really want to make this system sound good, I would advise against using cheap amplifiers.

cal2vin 05-25-2010 11:26 AM

I forgot to clarify that the boat came stock with 2 batteries. I am using the interstate marine 24m - xhd batteries for both the accessory and cranking battery. For now I was probably thinking of just adding a set of pro 80's and powering them with one of the syn amps from wetsounds that matches that power requirement. As soon as I can get my stock speakers sold anyways. :D Ive heard that the syn amps from wetsounds are pretty efficient tho pricey. How would that set up go with my two batteries described?

JimN 05-25-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal2vin (Post 681651)
I forgot to clarify that the boat came stock with 2 batteries. I am using the interstate marine 24m - xhd batteries for both the accessory and cranking battery. For now I was probably thinking of just adding a set of pro 80's and powering them with one of the syn amps from wetsounds that matches that power requirement. As soon as I can get my stock speakers sold anyways. :D Ive heard that the syn amps from wetsounds are pretty efficient tho pricey. How would that set up go with my two batteries described?

Make sure your alternator can handle the load of charging all of the batteries. If it can't, it won't matter what amplifiers and batteries you have.

cal2vin 05-25-2010 02:22 PM

I dont know much about alternators. Does anyone know the standard size alernator for the 2008 mc x2?

TX.X-30 fan 05-25-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimN (Post 680433)
And if you're pushing another 1800W, at 100% efficiency, a crude power formula is P=IE, where P(power) can be derived by multiplying I(current) by E(voltage) and if the alternator is charging at maximum voltage of 14.4VDC, 1800W will draw 125A. If you want to use this many amplifiers, you'll also need a higher output alternator and a heavier charging lead.

If you really want to make this system sound good, I would advise against using cheap amplifiers.

Ding Ding Ding................... we have a winner.

150 amp Balmar would keep up just fine.

TX.X-30 fan 05-25-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal2vin (Post 681726)
I dont know much about alternators. Does anyone know the standard size alernator for the 2008 mc x2?

90 I believe and older have a 70 like I did before replacement.