TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General / Other (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Turning... Takes off to Right AND Left (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35196)

dringler 05-05-2010 12:17 AM

Turning... Takes off to Right AND Left

I'm new to this forum, but I've searched and read some of it a few times.

Anyway, I've read several posts about turning / "alignment" / and filing the rudder, etc... However, I think my problem may be a little different... My steering wheel feels incredibly loose and if I let go of the wheel while barely turning right or left it takes off and spins in that direction until it is 100% right or left (whichever the case may be). Even if I am going straight, it will slowly turn one way and then take off in that direction.

Im not sure if I'm doing a good job explaining, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!

- Donnie

Kyle 05-05-2010 02:23 AM

Grease your rudder box. Mine used to act that way when it had been a while and needed some grease. If you ride with a really weighted down boat and ballast you may have stretched your cable. Since you have a 08 I would try the grease method.

dringler 05-05-2010 04:56 PM

We greased it earlier this week and it actually made it feel looser... Before I greased it, it would "take off" to the right. After greasing it, it made it feel loose all over and "take off" to the left as well.

I guess I need to check the cable...?

mig 05-05-2010 06:44 PM

Should get it checked out before using it again. If something breaks it would be a tow back to the dock, maybe even a boat ramp bloopers story. Failure at speed could really hurt someone.

Campbell 05-19-2010 11:45 PM

Did you ever find out the solution>

dringler 08-30-2010 07:56 PM

They filed the rudder a little bit and it added some pressure to the steering and I havent had any problems since... Maybe I was just used to having to use two hands to steer my old x9!

vision 09-19-2010 05:24 PM

On a related note...

Hit a sand bar a few weeks back while surfing. Fortunately no prop damage. But, definitely steers differently.

The rudder alignment with the naked eye is normal, and at speed there is no discernible pull to the right or left on the helm. But, take off without holding the rudder and it will, as dringler described, turn aggressively to the left mostly, occasionally to the right. Or even at speed, if slightly turning and you let go of the rudder, it will slow start to turn one way then aggressively turn harder to that direction. It never did this before.

All the linkage is tight. There is slight play in the rudder when you move it back and forth (lateral motion, not turning it) from under the boat, perhaps a 1/4 inch at the rudder tip. I am suspicious that the rudder is simply freer to turn now so it is easier to spin when underway unless you are dead on straight or of course holding onto the helm.

I see no way or tightening the rudder post? In other words, is there a way to increase the friction of the rudder shaft as it goes through the hull? No water is leaking around it.