TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1980 stars & stripes project boat-questions (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33775)

barefootjoe 01-06-2010 11:56 PM

1980 stars & stripes project boat-questions

1 Attachment(s)
This dec I bought a 1980 stars & Stripes project boat with a ford Windsor pcm original eng.
It needs a lot of TLC. I will be posting pictures and questions as I go. Any useful input is appreciated!

Questions

1. What is the WOT and what should I expect in top end speed with a footer behind?

2. What weight of oil for the engine, and Trans?

3. How to I figure out the exact engine model and size for parts ordering?

4. Where can I get the following parts?:
Mechanical fuel pump
Sea water pump
Exhaust lines-hoses
Solenoid
Electronic ignition conversion kit
Propeller (see my propeller thread for input into selection)

5. What is the process to repair gel coat chips myself? Suppliers?

6. Anyone installed their own hot water shower using a mixer valve? Does this create a hot water loop or is there a backflow preventer? (I have tapped hot water exit lines before, but never tried mixing.) steps and parts?

7. The front tracking fin is bent to about 7pm. Can it be bent back or does it need to be replaced? Supplier?

ProStar190Fan 01-07-2010 12:47 AM

my signature contains the link to the manuals posted by mastercraft, oil info and trans info should be in there; as for the prop your local MC dealer or a online source such as overtons, Iboats, or the actual manufacturers site.

thatsmrmastercraft 01-07-2010 01:24 AM

Welcome to Team Talk and congrats on a great looking boat.

A couple quick answers :

You most likely have a 351W, although some came with a 302.

Top speed should be about 44 or 45mph

There have been lots of discussions about which oil to run. Do a search and you will find lots of reading. I use Valvoline 20w/50.

I would replace the tracking fin. Not much flexibility there.

www.skidim.com will become a great source for parts and info. Get a catalog ASAP - it will become your go to book.

Search for gel-coat threads - again lots of reading. Pretty simple to do if you have some patience.

barefootjoe 01-11-2010 10:38 PM

3. How to I figure out the exact engine model and size for parts ordering?

Poked around and found the info on the boat.

Engine Model is PLD WR L10 It has a newer holley 4 bl carb.

Can anyone tell me what size engine this is? and HP?

Trans is a velvet drive model 10-17-001

justinglow 01-11-2010 10:45 PM

Can you post some pics of the engine?

thatsmrmastercraft 01-12-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinglow (Post 653084)
Can you post some pics of the engine?

I agree. BFJ post a couple pics of the engine.

thatsmrmastercraft 01-12-2010 12:54 AM

A 351 intake is about 10" wide at the front bolts. A 302 is about 8" wide.

1redTA 01-12-2010 10:36 AM

nice boat barefoot Joe! I was hoping to find that color to match my pick up and car. I have an 81 that is sand and rootbeer colored.
Top speed of my boat in stock condition was 43 mph on a GPS, but the motor was laying over due to insufficient fuel or the points being out of wack. I am expecting around 46 out of it when I fix the ignition with a new distributor and a carb rebuild.

barefootjoe 01-13-2010 11:46 PM

pics

4 Attachment(s)
OK, here are some pics.
Keep in mind, it is going to get a lot of TLC over the next few months.
I have a growing list:rolleyes:

Let me know what you all would suggest doing to get an undermaintained engine and tranny up and ready for the season.

The intake bolts are 9.5 inches center to center.

thatsmrmastercraft 01-14-2010 12:09 AM

Looks like you have a 351 that would come stock with this boat.

The length of time since it has last been run determines how best to deal with it. If its more than a 6 - 8 months, fresh fluids, filters (don't forget fuel filter) & plugs and you are ready to fire up.

If longer than that, I would pull the spark plugs and pour an ounce of motor oil into each plug hole. Then get a large 1/2" ratchet and the appropriate socket on the crankshaft pulley and manually turn the engine over a few times. Then change fluids and filters and screw in the new plugs.

Make sure you are supplying water to the engine while running, but DO NOT TURN ON THE WATER UNTIL THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. If you turn on the water before you fire her up, you will end up with the water pressure backing up through the exhaust and through partially open exhaust valves and into the oil pan. Getting that oil and water mixed together out of the oil pan is a pain in the a$$.