TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Depth Finder modification (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33053)

Streak 10-17-2009 11:44 PM

Depth Finder modification

Have a 06 PS197 with multi function display window in the RPM gauge. It shows the engine time, water temp, and clock, but does not display the depth. Does anyone know what I need to upgrade to get the depth indication, what needs to be added and where the input plugs in to the gauge.
Thanks

MariStar-Man 10-18-2009 07:02 AM

On my Maristar it has a Somewhat Universal Guage in that it requires a 2 1/8th" hole to install. Mine is the Lowrance 3500 which is now replaced by: LST-3800

My 3500 Also, has a Stock Transducer that blinks quite a bit while I'm underway. (Blinking means it's not giving you depth at that time and Blinks the last recorded depth). I have heard that one can buy a High Speed Transducer that minimizes this issue.

http://mediabase.edbasa.com/erez4/ca...1ef1e6183e.jpg

Go here to read about them>>Lowrance Website<<

Here is the In-Hull Transducer.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/DSC01668.jpg

TMCNo1 10-18-2009 09:12 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about a high speed transducer. 95% of the time, you'll only pay close attention to it when slow cruising and idling in strange waters. With the underwater gear only a couple feet from the transducer, if it does show shallow water @ 25+ mph you will have hit bottom or something long before you can react.

bigmac 10-18-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streak (Post 639802)
Have a 06 PS197 with multi function display window in the RPM gauge. It shows the engine time, water temp, and clock, but does not display the depth. Does anyone know what I need to upgrade to get the depth indication, what needs to be added and where the input plugs in to the gauge.
Thanks

On the '06 models, I'm not sure if they use a separate depth transducer, or if they're using the Airmar paddlewheel that has temp, depth, and speed. In either case, if you want the display in the tach, the input connection will likely be to to the master gauge module under the dash. I suspect you're going to have to get the information, and likely the transducer, from your MasterCraft dealer.

WTRSK1R 10-18-2009 10:00 AM

Call a dealer for necessary parts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streak (Post 639802)
Thanks

I added the depth gauge to my '04 197. There is a depth module that you need, and the transducer. Bought both from Mastercraft of Charlotte and installed myself. The other thing you will gain with this upgrade is air temp indication since the module comes with an additional sensor. The transducer plugs into the depth module, and then the depth module plugs into the boats control module so that it displays on the mulit-function display.

Pretty easy install if you want to do it yourself.

Steve

Witness140 10-18-2009 10:21 AM

The factory setup in my 2006 197 was as follows.

Transducer plugged into the Medallion depth module, which was plugged into the Medallion MMDC. I can followup with some photos of the components later on. To get the depth displayed into the MFD, you will need the Medallion depth module and plug it into the MMDC.

Witness140 10-18-2009 05:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's photos of the transducer in an 06' 197, the depth module from Medallion with an additional shot of the label. This is the factory install. Depth module just floats around behind the kickpanel. In both my 06 and 07 the bird's nest of wiring behind the kickpanel found the depth modules not mounted or tie-wrapped to anything. They just lay around with tons of slack on the wiring.

Witness140 10-18-2009 05:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
First shot gives a better idea where the transducer is mounted in the bilge of the 06' 197.

Second photo shows the kickpanel with the Medallion MMDC mounted. It is the box on the upper right. Location may vary if you have the subwoofer. My 06' did not.

Third shot shows the bird's nest when you flip the kick panel up for access. The depth module will be floating around on the floor back there somewhere. Black single wire with fancy plug goes back to the transducer. I believe that transducer is sourced from Lowrance. The harness that comes out can then be traced into a bundle that leads to the MMDC.

Last photo shows the harnesses going into the MMDC.

Hope all this helps duplicating factory setup.

macattack 10-19-2009 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Witness 140 pretty much covered it. Attached are MC's tech instructions for a 2004/2005 PS 197. This is an easy install...mac

TallRedRider 10-19-2009 07:42 PM

How similar will this be on an X-45? I suspect very close to the same, from the pics.

My water temp has read the same as the air temp since the day I got it (used). The air temp is what I am receiving. (90 degree air and 70 degree water...both say 90). I did not really notice during the first 2 months of operation because both were about the same most of the time.

Then a few months later the depth guage just started reading 'bad'. It has now worked intermittently.