TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First Ski/wakeboard Boat!!! (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32792)

wakesurfer 09-27-2009 11:29 PM

First Ski/wakeboard Boat!!!

Hi everyone and respect to the MC fraternity. Just bought 1995 prostar 190 had a few silly newbie questions need help with:
1. previous owner was not sure how long gas had been in engine supposedly 30 plus days, is there any way to verify if the gas is good or bad before starting the engine and causing probs?
2. oil on dipstick looks black, what type of oil should I use to replace with the best money can buy?
3. the previous owner says that the engine is a chevy engine? the only obvious things I can see are : black engine , with blue text EFI on it can anyone tell me which engine this is original or not, and is there a link to the engine break down and maintenance?
4. the hull is in good condition, just at the bottom of the bow I guess where the boat was beached the gel coat is gone and I can see brown/gold fiberglass looking coat, with what and how should I repair this or is it ok to leave it like that?
5. the prop looks to be original three blade, two blades have tips bent a little, no cracks or tears, is that ok, and if not can it be repaired or not worth it and does the type of prop effect the wake ? since we will be wake surfing and boarding ?
Thanks for your time will post pictures asap appreciate in advance all the help I can get ....

MariStar-Man 09-28-2009 12:58 AM

1. Drain all gas and buy 91+ octane.

2. Best oil is oil with Gold Particles in it. They haven't invented it yet, but that would be the best...

3. Look into the manual, or take lots of BIG pictures and post them here...

4. i would reapair everything and make it lke new... ( Search ) = Gelcoat. Lots of info here...

5. Put a 6 blade prop on her. 3 is good so 6 would be better...

Ps. ignore all but #1 & 3 as it's sunday night and I still feel a little woozy and can't think from 3 days on the lake...:D

JohnE 09-28-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakesurfer (Post 636069)
Hi everyone and respect to the MC fraternity. Just bought 1995 prostar 190 had a few silly newbie questions need help with:
1. previous owner was not sure how long gas had been in engine supposedly 30 plus days, is there any way to verify if the gas is good or bad before starting the engine and causing probs?
2. oil on dipstick looks black, what type of oil should I use to replace with the best money can buy?
3. the previous owner says that the engine is a chevy engine? the only obvious things I can see are : black engine , with blue text EFI on it can anyone tell me which engine this is original or not, and is there a link to the engine break down and maintenance?
4. the hull is in good condition, just at the bottom of the bow I guess where the boat was beached the gel coat is gone and I can see brown/gold fiberglass looking coat, with what and how should I repair this or is it ok to leave it like that?
5. the prop looks to be original three blade, two blades have tips bent a little, no cracks or tears, is that ok, and if not can it be repaired or not worth it and does the type of prop effect the wake ? since we will be wake surfing and boarding ?
Thanks for your time will post pictures asap appreciate in advance all the help I can get ....

1. I'd drain the gas and replace.
2. Newer boats are recommended to use 15W40. I was also told that if I can't find that it is OK to use 10-40. Someone will chime in though for your year. But I imagine it is the same.
3. Post a pic and someone will know.
4. Definitely get the gel repaired otherwise further damage will occur. Post some pics and you will get an idea of how bad the damage is.
5. If it is an OJ prop, you can send it to them for repairs. Typically it costs $70 - $130

thatsmrmastercraft 09-28-2009 09:41 AM

Congrats on the new boat and welcome!

You are getting all the right answers. Simple way to tell a GM from a Ford is the where the distributor is located. The Ford will have the dist in the front of the engine and the GM dist will be at the rear.

Pictures are big on this site. Makes getting accurate answers much easier.

Muttley 09-28-2009 12:57 PM

At the risk of getting chastised...

1: 30 or even 60 days isn't really an issue. If it's 90 days, you may want to drain it. If the boat runs, run it to half a tank, then fill it with fresh. Even if you drain it, you'll still be burning the stuff in the lines anyway. You won't be doing damage by running 2 month old gas, it just might run a bit rough until it gets fresh stuff.

2: Oil is subjective. It's more important to change it with quality stuff (and a quality filter) at 50 hours or once a year than what you use. Some swear by Shell Rotella or Mobil 1, I like Amsoil 20-50 synthetic. Don't forget to change the tranny oil with Dextron 3 or 4.

3: You'd need to post a pic or go by the serial numbers. The hull number would tell you what's supposed to be in the boat, the engine number will tell you what it is. Sounds like a Chevy 350 efi to me which was an option. See your manual or hit the knowledge center on the Mastercraft site.

4: Yes, I would get the gel repaired. Some people don't worry about it, but I would at least roller (thin foam roller) some gel coat or marine enamel on it to keep it sealed.

5: A new prop can be expensive. You can (and should) get your prop repaired. Those bent edges can cause vibration and affect performance. It's $100 well spent. If you really want to replace it, you can go to a 4 blade for a bit more hole shot.

Chicago190 09-28-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariStar-Man (Post 636084)
1. Drain all gas and buy 91+ octane.

2. Best oil is oil with Gold Particles in it. They haven't invented it yet, but that would be the best...

3. Look into the manual, or take lots of BIG pictures and post them here...

4. i would reapair everything and make it lke new... ( Search ) = Gelcoat. Lots of info here...

5. Put a 6 blade prop on her. 3 is good so 6 would be better...

Ps. ignore all but #1 & 3 as it's sunday night and I still feel a little woozy and can't think from 3 days on the lake...:D

Nice of you to answer with such a worthless post to a first time owner, considering you set a record for stupidest questions asked about their boat. You telling someone to do a search is priceless.

scott023 09-28-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago190 (Post 636240)
Nice of you to answer with such a worthless post to a first time owner, considering you set a record for stupidest questions asked about their boat. You telling someone to do a search is priceless.

ROTFLMFAO. Exactly what I was thinking 190. Good thing John came along and made things right.

ttu 09-28-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago190 (Post 636240)

omg, lmao!! that has to be the "post of the month". i am suprised he didn't post some 300 pics of his own boat.:uglyhamme

cmw 09-28-2009 03:17 PM

You guys are taking yourselves to seriously. My first question was how to take care of my teak. It was a pile on, but all in good fun.

wakesurfer 09-28-2009 03:28 PM

thanks for the pun! I can relate, to the fun. Appreciate all the info, ....dont worry more to come have a good week ahead!