TeamTalk (
-   Engine / Drive Train (
-   -   1974 MC Needs a New Carb (

pasmadj 08-24-2009 11:22 AM

1974 MC Needs a New Carb
2 Attachment(s)
I have a 1974 (yes, that's not a typo) MC.

I can start it by dribbling some fuel in the carb. I can keep it running at about 3,000rpm, but below that, it dies. I have not used it for 3 years. I have started it in the driveway, but have not made it to the lake.

With the help of a friend, we have determined that it needs a carb replacement or re-build.

The carb on it now is an automotive Holley 4bbl (no j-tubes).

Even if the carb isn't the whole problem, I know I should put a marine carb on it.

I saw a previous post where TMCNo1 recommended some sources for Holley carbs. I have seen those site also.

My question is: Do I just buy a Holley 4160 (, Holley #80319
600 CFM, Electric Choke), or, are there some variations that I need to know about?

The picture on the National Carburetors website looks very much like my carb. I have attached a photo.

Thanks for any help.

TMCNo1 08-24-2009 11:58 AM

If it is a 302, then it may take a different 4160 shown on the Holley site,

pasmadj 08-24-2009 01:27 PM

Good question. I have always known it to be a 351. How can I find out for sure?

pasmadj 08-25-2009 10:39 AM

I talked to a guy at MasterCraft of Orlando. He was helpful. He told me that the distance between the intake bolts (width of the manifold) indicates if it is a 302 or a 351. 9" = 302, 11" = 351.

I bought a throttle/trans control from him many years ago. Website:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 AM.