TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General / Other (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Rudder play (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32110)

mcskier 08-19-2009 01:09 PM

Rudder play

I was giving my boat the once over the other day and I noticed that there was some slight fore & aft play in my rudder. Is this about normal or there something I can do to snug it up a bit? Maybe re-grease with the grease ports?

Justjoe 08-19-2009 01:36 PM

I have a little wiggle in my 07, and I had a little in my 06. I think it's normalish.

east tx skier 08-19-2009 01:39 PM

If you just have a little wiggle, a little rudder loading could be the answer. Grinding the trailing edge will result in a pull to that side (generally the right on LHR boats like MC). That pull will allow you to lock in your track without constantly having to correct for any steering slop.

mcskier 08-19-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by east tx skier (Post 625458)
If you just have a little wiggle, a little rudder loading could be the answer. Grinding the trailing edge will result in a pull to that side (generally the right on LHR boats like MC). That pull will allow you to lock in your track without constantly having to correct for any steering slop.

Thanks, TX.
I'm actually talking about a fore/aft wiggle in the rudder itself as opposed to the steering wheel. Is that what you were referring to? My rudder is already pretty heavily loaded to the right as I think is normal on TT boats.

east tx skier 08-19-2009 02:35 PM

Sorry. Didn't notice your signature. Never noticed any fore and aft wiggle in any of my boats.

mcmx2 08-20-2009 10:38 AM

I have noticed the same thing on my boat, 05 197TT. This boat ws new to me last fall and my old boat, 89 ps 190, did not have this play in the rudder. Also I can not find a place to grease the rudder shaft. I have taken the floor out of the ski locker and see the top of the rudder port through the square cutout in the fuel tank but do not see a zirk for grease.

mcskier 08-20-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmx2 (Post 625765)
I have noticed the same thing on my boat, 05 197TT. This boat was new to me last fall and my old boat, 89 ps 190, did not have this play in the rudder. Also I can not find a place to grease the rudder shaft. I have taken the floor out of the ski locker and see the top of the rudder port through the square cutout in the fuel tank but do not see a zirk for grease.

I haven't taken the floor out of my locker yet, but I assumed that there would be a grease fitting as described in the owner's manual. Based on the manual and what I know, it's supposed to be re-greased every 50-100 hours. I'll take my floor out and see what I can see. But based on some of the above feedback, it sounds like the minimal amount of play I'm seeing is considered normal. Perhaps someone from one of the shops will see this and opine.

SteveO 08-20-2009 01:00 PM

Have you hit anything?

mcskier 08-20-2009 02:18 PM

nada. there have been no impacts to the rudder.

mcskier 08-21-2009 12:07 AM

Pulled the floor of the ski locker and easily found the grease port. Added a couple squeezes of the gun and it seemed to help.