TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Strut bearings/bushings or cutlass bearing (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=27489)

wpauling 11-09-2008 09:41 AM

Strut bearings/bushings or cutlass bearing

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick post to show wear on a strut/cutlass bearing, shaft wear, and some of the changes MC has made in regards to the replacement bearing. The new one is larger in length and brass material shroud.

Just a reminder to the new owners, have your MC mechanic check your strut for alignment and possible wear per the prescribed maintenance schedule. The pics show the difference between the new and worn part, the third picture depicts the wear on the shaft, and the final pic is an orientation photo for those of us still learning.

JimN 11-09-2008 10:33 AM

When did they change to a plastic bearing? A dealer should know that this should be checked whenever the boat is in for service and it's on the trailer.

Also, there is usually an upper bearing and a lower. The worn one was left in far too long and while I don't want to point fingers, this is one reason boat owners should take their boat in, occasionally. Many boat owners want to do their own service, for a variety of reasons but they don't have access to the same amount of information as a dealer's service department/tech. For this reason, some service steps are not addressed and can lead to failures of the boat's components and systems.

That shaft will be replaced, right?

wpauling 11-09-2008 10:52 AM

Jim,

Not sure when they went from plasic to brass, but the MC mechanic showed me the difference when I had it in for the hourly services.

Watching what they have to do is quite a process. Too may things can certainly can affect other parts of the drive train system. I agree there is many items best left for the MC mechanics!

wpauling 11-09-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimN (Post 555961)

That shaft will be replaced, right?

Yes it was.

TOO-TALL 11-09-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpauling (Post 555949)
Just a quick post to show wear on a strut/cutlass bearing, shaft wear, and some of the changes MC has made in regards to the replacement bearing. The new one is larger in length and brass material shroud.

Just a reminder to the new owners, have your MC mechanic check your strut for alignment and possible wear per the prescribed maintenance schedule. The pics show the difference between the new and worn part, the third picture depicts the wear on the shaft, and the final pic is an orientation photo for those of us still learning.

You have a 08 X-star..correct.
How many hours?

XPC Sealman 11-10-2008 07:22 AM

Bearings

For those of you new to these strut bearings they are called Vesconite Hilube bearings. They are superior to the rubber/brass bearings of old. The traditional bearings needed a shaft diameter to bearing length ratio of 4:1. The Vesconite can handle a much lower ratio (even less than what is used). These bearings are very quiet and they are the premium in marine drive bearings. The photo shows a bearing that is in need of replacement without a doubt. I can tell you if it were a rubber bearing in that same position the shaft would have been shot! This boat had some obvious alignment issues. These bearings last longer, are easy on the shaft wear and are much quicker to service. The coefficient of friction on the rubber bearings is around .36 and this Hilube is around .09 this all relates to less friction and a smoother more quiet drive system. The difference in length is not an issue.

93Prostar190 11-10-2008 07:32 AM

Yep. ..... the newer bearing is what came on my 08 PS214 ... so it looks like the dealer who did this repair opted to go with the more traditional brass and rubber setup. Both work well but both setups require proper shaft alignment to be within spec or unusual and premature wear will result.

wpauling 11-10-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOO-TALL (Post 556039)
You have a 08 X-star..correct.
How many hours?

I had 26-29 hrs on the boat at the time.

JimN 11-10-2008 05:09 PM

"I had 26-29 hrs on the boat at the time."

That tells me the dealer didn't do everything on the pre-delivery setup list. Sorry, but I have a hard time with dealers who avoid such a major step.

TOO-TALL 11-10-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpauling (Post 556230)
I had 26-29 hrs on the boat at the time.

Thats Total B.S. Nothing should just wear out with only 29 Hrs. I would be pissed!!!