TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   More Suburban issues (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20006)

captain planet 10-26-2007 10:28 AM

More Suburban issues

I have a 2000 Suburban that is giving me starting issues. A little more than 2 weeks ago it started starting hard. Starter working fine, but didn't seem like it was getting enough gas because when it starts hard if you hit the gas a little it starts up and runs fine. When starting the lights REALLY were dimming. It was ready for a new battery before this winter anyway so I got a new battery. I have run into where the battery will have enough juice to turn over the car, but not enough to run the fuel pump at the same time, replace battery, fix problem. Well not in this case. I also put in a new fuel filter at the same time as the battery.

It still has the same problem and seems to be getting a little worse. To me it seems like this happens when the truck is already warm. Cold starts don't seem to have this problem, although my wife says it is all the time now. Anyone have this problem?

P-hat_in_Cincy 10-26-2007 11:10 AM

I'm trying to jog my memory banks, but we had something similar. I think it ended up being an EGR wire harness. I can't recall if we had starting issues and/or stalling after driving (warm) at low RPM.
Did you have your fuel pump replaced? Was it under warranty?

captain planet 10-26-2007 11:20 AM

Yea, there was a wiring issue on the sending unit that was recalled so to repair it they had to replace the whole fuel pump/sending unit assembly. That was with approx 60K miles. There are now 85K on the truck.

Once the truck is running there is no issue. It is only when starting.

Jerseydave 10-26-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain planet
Yea, there was a wiring issue on the sending unit that was recalled so to repair it they had to replace the whole fuel pump/sending unit assembly. That was with approx 60K miles. There are now 85K on the truck.

Once the truck is running there is no issue. It is only when starting.

I also have a 2000 suburban, do you have a copy or info on the recall? My truck has not seen a dealer in over 4 years, maybe I should inform them of the recall so I can get my fuel pump replaced. I do have a fuel guage problem once in a great while, where it goes to E and then back up to normal again.

Have you checked for trouble codes on yours? A new battery should have plenty of power to crank the engine and run fuel pump too. Maybe a bad battery cable or connection to ground? Just guessing.

P-hat_in_Cincy 10-26-2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njskier
I do have a fuel guage problem once in a great while, where it goes to E and then back up to normal again.

That is one of the symptoms.

Hopefully this link will get you to the text of the recall. Read the last line of the 'consequences' for your listed item.

CP...see if you have codes. A improperly functioning EGR can cause issues with starting/running conditions. I think they are about $80 and very simple to change. However, like I said, one dealer diagnosed as EGR but another (correctly) diagnosed and fixed as an EGR wire harness.

captain planet 10-26-2007 12:23 PM

I'm not getting any check engine messages. If the computer was getting some reading it didn't like, wouldn't it let me know about it via 'Check Engine'?

P-hat_in_Cincy 10-26-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain planet
I'm not getting any check engine messages. If the computer was getting some reading it didn't like, wouldn't it let me know about it via 'Check Engine'?

Make sure the indicator light lights up upon 'Key On'. If you are by an Auto Zone, or the likes, they typically will scan for free. At least you'd know.

Do a search in this forum and/or join and post.

Automotive Forums...YUKON.

bcampbe7 10-26-2007 02:04 PM

Is it like the starter is dragging?

My in-laws had a Suburban (pre-2002) and when warm the starter would drag. The dealer told them it was because the starter was too close to the header/exhaust and was getting too hot.

Could be your starter going bad...

captain planet 10-26-2007 02:13 PM

Naw, the starter is strong. It sounds like P-hat may have the answer. Hey P-hat, was the wiring harness a pricey fix?

dog paw 10-26-2007 02:18 PM

I have the campaign with the vin breakpoints I'll paste it. More than likely you would be getting notices out the wazoo if yours was involved. If its close to 100k better be thinking about replacing the pump anyway. The fuel gauge thing is caused by the wipers on the level sensor in the tank wearing off. Very common on a lot of GM vehic's

A couple other things that cause that problem are the fuel pressure reg on the ingectors failing and letting fuel bleed off into the intake while the engine is off. Another easy thing to check and clean is the throttle bore. They get "coaked" up with goo and it throws off the minimum air rate causeing hard starts without having to press on the accell Take the snorkle off and spray it down, open the throttle and wipe out the bore. We have seen that fix a few vehicles with that problem. (my luck is never that good though :) )

Bob

Oh, EGR's will not cause a hard start without other driveability issues....... Dont make your problems any worse!

Subject: Product Safety - Fuel Module Reservoir Assembly #05027A - (03/10/2006)

Models: 2000-2001 CHEVROLET 1500 SERIES SUBURBAN

2000-2001 GMC 1500 SERIES YUKON XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE SERVICE PROCEDURE IN THIS BULLETIN HAS BEEN REVISED TO INCLUDE THE USE OF TOOL J 41413-300, EVAP CAP/PLUG KIT. PLEASE REVIEW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE IMMEDIATELY. DISCARD ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 05027 ISSUED OCTOBER 2005.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2000-2001 Chevrolet 1500 Series Suburban and GMC 1500 Series Yukon XL vehicles. Some of these vehicles were built with fuel module reservoir assemblies that contain fuel pump wires and/or connectors that may overheat under certain operating conditions. Fuel pump wires that overheat may become exposed and result in one or more of the following conditions: 1) if the ignition circuit wire is exposed and shorts to ground, the fuel pump fuse will blow, disabling the fuel pump and causing an engine stall or no-start condition; 2) if the ignition circuit or ground wire is exposed and shorts to the fuel level sender card wires, inaccurate fuel level readings may result; 3) if sufficient heat is conducted to the pass-through connector, a hole in the connector may result, which may cause a Service Engine Soon light to be illuminated during the emission system diagnostics routine. Fuel vapor, and in some cases liquid fuel, may leak out of the fuel tank through the hole in the connector body. If a sufficient amount of fuel were to leak out and if an ignition source were present, a vehicle fire could occur.

Correction
Dealers are to remove the fuel tank, remove the fuel module reservoir assembly, and install a new service kit. The service kit includes a new pass-through connector, wiring harness for the fuel pump and fuel sender card.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2000-2001 Chevrolet 1500 Series Suburban and GMC 1500 Series Yukon XL vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Suburban
YG100002
YG229688

YJ100001
YJ211728

Chevrolet
Suburban
1G100015
1G289620

1J100003
1J318221

GMC
Yukon XL
YG100003
YG229685

YJ100017
YJ211810

GMC
Yukon XL
1G100013
1G289614

1J100013
1J318207

Important: Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) prior to beginning recall repairs. [Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.]

For US and Canada