TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Carb to Fuel injection conversion? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10934)

hz900 08-06-2006 01:33 PM

Carb to Fuel injection conversion?

'92 Prostar 205 w/ holley dual feed carb

I've heard there are kits to convert the carbed engines over to fuel injection, is this true. If so where do they sell them. The ones I've heard of are throttle body injection kits, is it possible to install a multi-port injection system?

Also is it worth it? I like fuel injection more than carbs, I know more about how to work on them, and they are typically more reliable and throttle response is better IMO.

Is there anyone on this board that has done it, I'd like to get some first hand experiences on pros/cons.

flipper 08-06-2006 02:39 PM

I put an injected engine in my '91 prostar 190, and love it. I have seen the kits for cars. It is nice not having to pump the throttle, and crank the engine for a while.

jake 08-06-2006 08:40 PM

I was seriously considering the Holley pro-jection marine conversion kit. It's throttle body, seems simple, and isn't too much more expensive than a new carb.

I didn't pull the trigger, because of mixed reviews I read on-line and feedback I got here from JimN and others more knowledgeable in these areas than I, but if you're considering the conversion, you might want to check it out as an option.

erkoehler 08-06-2006 09:32 PM

You can probably sell your 92 and upgrade to an EFI 94 for maybe $2-4,000

hz900 08-07-2006 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erkoehler
You can probably sell your 92 and upgrade to an EFI 94 for maybe $2-4,000

I do all my own work. For $4k I could easily drop a fuel injected crate motor in the boat. I'm thinking more along the lines of $500.

east tx skier 08-07-2006 10:21 AM

I think the Edelbrock MPI kit is over $1K. When I mentioned this to my local ski boat mechanic, the answer I got, and the answer I hear most often, is that it just isn't worth it and if you want a fuel injected boat, sell yours and buy a fuel injected boat. Like Dan, I'm not mechanical. But this has been the consensus from the people I trust most on the subject.

If you're looking to spend $500, spend it on a Holley 4160 single feed marine carb. Greatly improved reliability over the 4010 you have on there now IMO.

hz900 08-07-2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by east tx skier
I think the Edelbrock MPI kit is over $1K. When I mentioned this to my local ski boat mechanic, the answer I got, and the answer I hear most often, is that it just isn't worth it and if you want a fuel injected boat, sell yours and buy a fuel injected boat. Like Dan, I'm not mechanical. But this has been the consensus from the people I trust most on the subject.

If you're looking to spend $500, spend it on a Holley 4160 single feed marine carb. Greatly improved reliability over the 4010 you have on there now IMO.

I'm a Corvette junkie as a hobby and have read several articles on how they used a throttle body injection unit and wiring/computer off of a '88-'94 chevy truck on the older carbed Corvettes and spent less than $500 total cost, including wiring, just curious if this was possible on a boat, since you also have to take into account for water, which presents a problem for a computer out of a vehicle.

I've been told about the 4160 carb, and I am keeping it in mind. The 4010 I've got on it now has not presented much of a problem so far, other than being cold natured, I just personally like fuel injection is why I'm exploring this topic.

Can anyone tell me if the multiport injection systems from either the 5.7 ford trucks or the 5.0 mustangs will fit these indmar engines (ie will it bolt to the heads and the ports line up)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue the points made about not being worth it, I agree, if you don't know how to do it yourself, then it probably isn't worth it.

H20skeefreek 08-07-2006 10:54 PM

If you REALLY wanted to do it, you could get the injection unit for the 5.8L EFI PCM motors. I forget what they called them, but it was basically a rudementary EFI unit from a Mustang. Those motors aren't available anymore, but if you searched you might be able to find one. You could always call PCM, but I don't know if I'd mention that you have an Indmar.

Matt L. 08-10-2006 01:58 PM

4160?

My 4160 blew chunks at the lake this weekend. Secondary bowl fuel valve was hanging and pumped so much gas into the secondaries it was flowing down the back of the engine due to the ramp angle. Rebuilt w/ in 50 hours ago. Just a little pucker factor!!!

Larry at:

http://www.larrysengine.com/

is a nationally recognized marine high perfoemance engine builder. Bussy had his engine built there. Larry told him to expect an annual Holly rebuild due to the poor fuel quality in the Southwest and the newer additives being very carb unfriendly. FI systems are not damaged like carbs by these newer additives.

Found a kit and had the boat running perfectly in 20 min.

I will FI my HO 454 powered 1990 240sc someday!

http://www.larrysengine.com/techarticles.asp With lots of good carb info.

My $0.02,

Matt

Quote:

Originally Posted by east tx skier

rcnjson 08-10-2006 03:40 PM

HZ900,
It is 5.8 liter (that attitional cubic inch puts it over the edge) actually it was probably a marketing thing. Like why would you buy a Chevy with a "wimpy" 5.7 liter when you can get a "mucho macho" 5.8 liter in a Ford? When did the big three go to the metric system? Anyways, the MPI EFI off of an old truck or van would work fine on a boat with the only issue being the intake manifold height, you know would it fit under the motor housing. A 351w in a boat has the same bolt pattern for heads, intake, and exhaust as 351w in a car truck or van. The heads from a 302w also fit a 351w and there is only one head casting, you just flip it around for the other side of the motor. The lower (in an EFI situation) intake manifold is different between the 351w and the 302w as the 351w is actually wider where the intake meets the heads as a function of the taller deck height. The upper intake manifold is the same and used with a specific lower like a stock upper and a stock lower or a gt40 upper and a gt40 lower. There are plenty of aftermarket EFI intakes available for windsor motors both the 351 and the 302. The MPI EFI system itself exists in a couple of different forms from the factory. The older system is called speed density and uses air temp and throttle position to determine its fuel tables. This is a very reliable system, just not performance oriented. The other factory system is mass air which uses the amount of air coming into the system as well as temp and throttle position to determine fuel tables. The mass air system is deffinatly the way I would go with a boat. Here is a short list of what you will need.
EFI manifold upper and lower
Mass air meter (has to match the injectors #/hour)
Throttle body
Injectors (probably 24#'s for a 351)
Fuel system which includes lines, rails and a pump
The brains for the mass air (ECU from car or truck)
Engine wiring harness (for injectors and mass air meter)
Misc. wiring and gaskets
From a junk yard I would say you could pull this all off an F-150 for $500. IF you go the buy it new route, aftermarket manifold, Ford EFI conversion kit, new fuel system... you are looking at an easy $2500 and that can go up from there depending what you want. FYI the fuel system in my mustang was $2500 (tank, pump, lines, rails). The moral of the story is sky is the limit, how fast do you want to go?