TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   First boat for the kids (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=85527)

madcityskier 06-09-2018 03:41 PM

First boat for the kids

3 Attachment(s)
Growing up we spent a lot of time driving a rowboat with a trolling motor and then a 5 hp Johnson. My nephew is 4 and my brother has been thinking about the right boat to start getting him going with. We bounced ideas and suggestions back and forth until we settled on a Tuggy the Tugboat sandbox. A little foam around the outside for stability. Drill a couple holes to attach the battery box and seal those to keep it dry.
Let's see what the rest of you are using.

mustangtexas 06-09-2018 03:55 PM

How did you get in it without flipping over? Awesome that it holds both of you with freeboard to spare.

2RLAKE 06-09-2018 03:57 PM

That is awesome!

madcityskier 06-09-2018 04:26 PM

Stepped right in. He says it's very stable. We 5alked about foam under the entire surface, but felt around the outside would be less tippy.

Cc4me 06-10-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcityskier (Post 1419536)
Growing up we spent a lot of time driving a rowboat with a trolling motor and then a 5 hp Johnson. My nephew is 4 and my brother has been thinking about the right boat to start getting him going with. We bounced ideas and suggestions back and forth until we settled on a Tuggy the Tugboat sandbox. A little foam around the outside for stability. Drill a couple holes to attach the battery box and seal those to keep it dry.
Let's see what the rest of you are using.

That is awesome!

millpondkid 06-11-2018 12:21 AM

Is he up for giving me a pull? I have tomorrow off!

CrashCourse316 06-11-2018 10:25 AM

Have you thought about adding ballast? You'll get a real nice Surf wake. Side note- my boat boat as a kid was our Row boat with the 5hp engine as well. That engine died so we stuck a 8hp on it.....that thing flew back in the day.

madcityskier 06-11-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millpondkid (Post 1419740)
Is he up for giving me a pull? I have tomorrow off!

It seems like a natural "slalom tug". It may be a long drive to Michigan though. He's not as close to me as I'd like.

madcityskier 06-11-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrashCourse316 (Post 1419786)
Have you thought about adding ballast? You'll get a real nice Surf wake. Side note- my boat boat as a kid was our Row boat with the 5hp engine as well. That engine died so we stuck a 8hp on it.....that thing flew back in the day.

My suggestion was to put on our old 18 evenrude and see what it can do. Pretty sure it could pull a boarder up, not so sure what we would mount the rope to? The tower looking thing on the front is definitely not strong enough.

madcityskier 06-17-2018 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What do we do on Father's Day but take the kids tubing? Hope you all enjoy a day on the water.