TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   96 PS 190 PCM ZR6 Conversion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57937)

CantRepeat 10-25-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnE (Post 987771)
Great project Mike, looking forward to seeing it progress.

I agree with John.

I'll add this:

I think you don't see a lot of people asking about repowers or howtos because there just aren't a lot of people doing them. I think the more that do happen and are well documented would increase other people doing the same kind of stuff.

I'm very interested in the conversion/upgrade and especially in the ECM wiring part of it. I assume the mechanical is pretty straight forward.

scott023 10-25-2013 05:52 PM

That looks awesome in there. Why are you doing this changeover? Just for a power increase?

maxpower220 10-25-2013 06:58 PM

Here's my dumb question: Why couldn't you use the original mounts from your Indmar chevy engine on this chevy PCM? I would think your old tranny would mount up and then your shaft and angle issues would be resolved, no???

With the different mounts, position, and tranny, will you be able to get the proper angle on the shaft without binding?

sethro 10-25-2013 08:22 PM

PCM utilizes a different mounting system. The engine sits level, while the transmission has the 9 degree down angle. One of the things I prefer over the Indmar marinization.

I'm assuming he's using a PCM engine/Power Plus transmission package as he said he was selling his entire driveline to help offset the cost.

Bouyhead 10-26-2013 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, this project is a little daunting. Right now the wiring harness seems to be the least of my worries. I got the adapter from DIM, the boat end, (black)is for an older boat, it won't plug into my harness, and the one i need is no longer avilable. So I'll just cut off the boat end and hard wire that as I can just unplug from the motor.
Attachment 102574

Bouyhead 10-26-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantRepeat (Post 987864)
I agree with John.

I'll add this:

I think you don't see a lot of people asking about repowers or howtos because there just aren't a lot of people doing them. I think the more that do happen and are well documented would increase other people doing the same kind of stuff.

I'm very interested in the conversion/upgrade and especially in the ECM wiring part of it. I assume the mechanical is pretty straight forward.

It seems the motor functions/ ECM are all self contained. The adapter appears to be powering the ECM,dash switches, starter, and gauges.

Bouyhead 10-26-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpower220 (Post 987880)
Here's my dumb question: Why couldn't you use the original mounts from your Indmar chevy engine on this chevy PCM? I would think your old tranny would mount up and then your shaft and angle issues would be resolved, no???

With the different mounts, position, and tranny, will you be able to get the proper angle on the shaft without binding?

Being an LS motor the mounting holes on the block are different and the diameter of the trunnions are different as well.

Bouyhead 10-26-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott023 (Post 987868)
That looks awesome in there. Why are you doing this changeover? Just for a power increase?

Thanks, the main reason is for Zero Off speed control, and I got a pretty good deal on this motor as it was a leftover. BTW, that new avatar freaks me out! I can't look at it for more than a few seconds!

Bouyhead 10-26-2013 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a friend who's a pretty good fabricator but hates boats. Made me some spacer blocks to raise the front of the motor and get the proper bell housing clearance. Evidently MC molds a section of metal the entire length of the stringer so drilling and tapping new hole was a breeze.
Attachment 102575

D3skier 10-26-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouyhead (Post 988013)
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, this project is a little daunting. Right now the wiring harness seems to be the least of my worries. I got the adapter from DIM, the boat end, (black)is for an older boat, it won't plug into my harness, and the one i need is no longer avilable. So I'll just cut off the boat end and hard wire that as I can just unplug from the motor.
Attachment 102574

instead of cutting off the harness can you use a small all and push the wires out to be able to connect the wires directly to the new harness that fits the new motor?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 PM.