TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sold a jeep and it never got picked up (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=60913)

clrussell 05-22-2014 11:33 AM

Sold a jeep and it never got picked up

So I sold a willys jeep to a guy back on February 20th this year, 1947 cj-2a. Guy sent me a cashiers check and paid for it. I still have the title, never signed to his name. In fact I don't even know his last name since the cashiers check was in the banks name. I havnt heard from this guy since he paid me. I've tried to get in contact with him a few different times and even posted it back on craigslist in his area, with info that I was looking for him. The phone number I have for him is no good anymore so I have no way of reaching him.

He sent me the check was had planned to come get it by April, well it's the end of May and I havnt heard a peep..

What do I do? Try selling it again? Any legalities of selling it again?

soacj 05-22-2014 11:38 AM

I'll come take it off your hands...Problem solved:D

CantRepeat 05-22-2014 11:42 AM

I'd ask the local LEO and get in touch with the bank that issued the check.

Bottom line is he paid for it so it's his property. I guess you could check with the DMV about abandon vehicles or such.

How could the guy write you a check to buy a vehicle and you not know his last name?

KnoxX2 05-22-2014 11:44 AM

I would check with a lawyer. I believe each state has guidelines about unclaimed property. As long as you follow the steps to attempt to contact and have it documented you should be ok to resell the jeep! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clrussell 05-22-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantRepeat (Post 1046639)
I'd ask the local LEO and get in touch with the bank that issued the check.

Bottom line is he paid for it so it's his property. I guess you could check with the DMV about abandon vehicles or such.

How could the guy write you a check to buy a vehicle and you not know his last name?

He sent me a cashiers check and the bank just had their name on it, I'm going to try and check my bank records to see if I can find where the check came from.

I didn't think about asking the police, will do that.

mwg 05-22-2014 11:46 AM

Notify him that you are going to charge him a daily storage fee.... this will give him some motivation to pick up his property.

clrussell 05-22-2014 11:47 AM

Picture of said willys just for socj

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/vu8atu4a.jpg

clrussell 05-22-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwg (Post 1046645)
Notify him that you are going to charge him a daily storage fee.... this will give him some motivation to pick up his property.

No way of getting ahold of him.. If so I would have sent him his money back already and sold it again.

aquaman 05-22-2014 11:53 AM

Seems to me that if you do not cash the check, the purchase transaction is not final ?

So you would be free to sell the jeep.

Return the check to the bank, they can track it to find out who purchased it.

Roman 05-22-2014 11:57 AM

He may have ended up in the hospital, you never know. Maybe a close family member became very ill, and this isn't high on his priority list? He also could have passed away?

Obviously there are some sort of circumstances here you don't know about. Put yourself in his shoes. If you have the property/room, throw it somewhere where it wont bother you or get in your way and give it a few more weeks.

If you can sell it for more in the meantime, do that and then return the money to him when he comes up. Tell him you couldn't store it and were not going to take a hit on storage fees.

Considering you have the money in your bank account, this isn't a scam. Something in life obviously came up.

That's what I would do. Try to sell it for more in the meantime. If he does come get it in the meantime, I'm sure he will have a good excuse. Most people after they buy something want it in there possession.