TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Tow Vehicles (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   To buy a new to me truck or not.. that is the question (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=28602)

Monte 02-16-2009 12:35 PM

To buy a new to me truck or not.. that is the question

Here is the deal. I have way too many cars. I have a 2002 GMC Envoy, a 2002 Cadi DTS, An 83 GMC Sierra 1500, and a 72 Monte Carlo. My wife has a 2006 Dodge mini-van.
The Envoy has been my tow vehicle since I bought the boat. It does fine, but is creeping up on 100kmiles. The truck will pull the boat fine, but there are not enough seats for my whole family, and it could use a freshenup of paint, belts, and gaskets. The Cadi gets about 26-28 mpg and I am always out taking pictures, getting signatures, and running general office errands. Note the GMC has some sentimental value because it was my grandfather's.

Here are what I consider to be my options.

A) Sell the Cadi, the Envoy, and the GMC. Buy a new to me 04-08 pickup with 4 doors.

B) Sell the Envoy, Keep the Cadi as a daily driver, and keep the GMC as a tow and trash vehicle (freshen the paint and engine)

C) Keep the Cadi, sell the truck and the Envoy, buy an older 2000- 2004 newer to me p/u with four doors.

4) turn the van into a tow vehicle and see how quickly I can blow the motor(kidding)

wakeX2wake 02-16-2009 12:47 PM

A) replace pickup w/ 4-doors to a new Sequoia... that dude will pull the CRAP out of your boat and plenty of room for the fam and has all the creature comforts available

Hollywood 02-16-2009 12:53 PM

Sell the mini-van and the pickup, replace with 4-door pickup. Wife drives Envoy

ttu 02-16-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeX2wake (Post 574446)
A) replace pickup w/ 4-doors to a new Sequoia... that dude will pull the CRAP out of your boat and plenty of room for the fam and has all the creature comforts available

got to agree. love mine.:D

JohnE 02-16-2009 12:55 PM

5) Keep em all and buy the damn X2 already.:D

I'd dump everything including the Monte72 (heresy?) and get a newer 4 door pickup. But you and I would rarely make the same choices.;)

TMCNo1 02-16-2009 12:58 PM

Sounds like a used car lot!:rolleyes::D

Monte 02-16-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMCNo1 (Post 574455)
Sounds like a used car lot!:rolleyes::D

Funny, Leah says it LOOKS like a used car lot:rolleyes:

Monte 02-16-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 574452)
Sell the mini-van and the pickup, replace with 4-door pickup. Wife drives Envoy

The Envoy has GOT to go. 14.7 mpg:confused: 6cyl:confused:.. I wish the minivan could go. I offered her the Cadi, but she wants to hold out for a sportscar when the kids are a little older:rolleyes:

PapaJoe 02-16-2009 01:08 PM

Based on the evaluation crteria for this decision, I determine the following Course of Action:

FACTS:

1. 1983 GMC resale value is low, personal value is high = KEEP IT.
2. Need a tow vehicle
3. Mini Van = lame
4. Treat the wife right.
5. Mini van and GMC Envoy have OK resale value.

Assumptions:
1. Wife likes the Cadi
2. Wife hates the mini van and GMC ENVOY
3. Kids are old enough to move away from min van requirements
4. If wife needs vehilce to move kids, then she takes the extended truck
5. Cadi is in OK condition.
6. Monti has low resale value, possible vehilce for kids (16) or just keep it for 10 more years, it will become a nice classic vehicle.

SELL the GMC ENVOY and the mini van, buy the extended truck, it will also assume duties as your tow vehilce. You get to keep the Cadi, and drive it when you take your wife out to dinner on Saturday Night Date Nights. You get to dump the mini van and the Envoy, they are functional, but just LAME....

1983 GMC sounds like a great restore project.

You get a newer Kick-A$$ truck to pull your MC with....

Promise to buy wife a sports car in 3 to 4 years... (a lot can change in this time you just bought)

Just my two cents worth.

JOE

Monte 02-16-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnE (Post 574454)

I'd dump everything including the Monte72 (heresy?) and get a newer 4 door pickup. But you and I would rarely make the same choices.;)

I have considered that... The market on older cars, especially non-mainstream muscle is in the tank:( I don't want to give it away:o