TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Tow Vehicles (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Tow vehicle getting a new heart (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54482)

prostar205 05-22-2013 12:30 AM

Tow vehicle getting a new heart

I decided to bight the bullet and give my beloved 1999 Expedition a heart transplant. I located a brand new, never installed or fired 2001 Ford 5.4L Supercharged Lightning crate engine to replace my standand 5.4L powerplant. The old engine was leaking at the head gaskets into the valley and on to the exhaust manifolds making a pleasant smell inside the cabin.

The new engine comes standard with 380hp, 430 ft-lb torque. The stock blower has already been sent off for porting and polishing and will also be underdriven to create 15 lbs of boost (stock is 8 lbs.). We are also puttinig a cold air intake, a special tune and equal-length headers, high flow cats and a new stainless performance exhaust. Lastly, the transmission and transfer case are getting beef up to take the added horsehpower and torque.

I should be done in a month and has already been in the shop from a month. Can't wait to get it back. I'll post pictures as the work progresses.

thatsmrmastercraft 05-22-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostar205 (Post 938072)
I decided to bight the bullet and give my beloved 1999 Expedition a heart transplant. I located a brand new, never installed or fired 2001 Ford 5.4L Supercharged crate engine to replace my standand 5.4L powerplant. The old engine was leaked at the head gaskets into the valley and on to the exhaust manifolds making a pleasure smell inside the cabin.

The new engine comes standard with 380hp, 430 ft-lb torque. The stock blower has already been sent off for porting and polishing and will also be underdriven to create 15 lbs of boost (stock is 8 lbs.). We are also puttinig a cold air intake, a special tune and equal-length headers, high flow cats and a new stainless performance exhaust. Lastly, the transmission and transfer case are getting beef up to take the added horsehpower and torque.

I should be done in a month and has already been in the shop from a month. Can't wait to get it back. I'll post pictures as the work progresses.

I really like the sound of this.

mplv 05-24-2013 09:10 AM

Put in a larger fuel tank, that's a 6mpg proposition

willyt 05-24-2013 11:08 AM

curious as to why you went the engine replacement route instead of buying a new truck... ecoboosts almost match those specs and will have to provide alot better gas mileage.

CantRepeat 05-24-2013 11:42 AM

Who's doing the ECM work for you?

TayMC197 05-24-2013 11:47 AM

The mpgs will improve from the horse power alone. That's as long as you baby it. If you floor it everywhere then it won't be as good.

Sounds like you're making the right mods, good luck and hope to see pics and sound clips.

mzimme 05-24-2013 11:49 AM

You will have all your torque immediately with that roots blower. That's going to be fun! You should have ditched the stock eaton blower and gone with something along the lines of whipple or Kenne Bell with even more displacement. :D

JLowder 05-24-2013 11:36 PM

Am I the only person here that thinks this is a complete waste of money? Unless you got the engine for free and are a mechanic, why would you spend that kind of money on a 14 year old vehicle? Maybe I am missing something here. Don't get me wrong, I love horsepower and have a classic car, but just can't understand the justification. Please fill me in.

prostar205 05-25-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantRepeat (Post 939040)
Who's doing the ECM work for you?

Brad's Custom Auto in North Seattle. They do great work.

prostar205 05-25-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzimme (Post 939045)
You will have all your torque immediately with that roots blower. That's going to be fun! You should have ditched the stock eaton blower and gone with something along the lines of whipple or Kenne Bell with even more displacement. :D

Thought about the Whipple or Kenne Bell but would have had to build the bottom end as the rods are still the weak link - even in the SVT Lightning engines. Tha will be round 2.

prostar205 05-25-2013 01:18 AM

For those that are asking and thinking why poor this amount of money into a 14 year old truck, here are reasons:

1) I'm the original owner of the truck, it's paid off and has been for 11 years, NO PAYMENTS.
2) I love the styling of my Expedition and I've already done a lot of things to it that my wife would never let me do to a new truck.
3) It's not my primary vehicle. I only put 2,000 miles on it a year. I'll be driving this one more after the upgrade.
4) After I'm done, I'll have a vehicle that no one else has.
5) What makes more sense: buying a new one for $50 - $60K less my trade of $5K and having payments or keeping my perfectly good truck and spending $12K on upgrades and have a 450hp, 5,500 lb Go Kart? That's a pretty easy choice for me.

I figured some people would disagree with my choice but the nice thing is It's My Choice and I can't wait to get it back.

I'll posting pics for those that are interested.

jafo9 05-25-2013 10:32 AM

did you mention your rear end? are you going to have to make any changes there for the extra HP? sounds like a great project.

cwarndahl 05-25-2013 11:04 AM

Im with you on the no payments, way easier to spend money on new engine then a new truck, bought a new truck last year and hate the payment. And oh only 4 years to go on it. Plus if you do it right it's as reliable then a new truck IMHO. Also done right your spending money you have at your pace then on a banks schedule.

prostar205 05-25-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jafo9 (Post 939280)
did you mention your rear end? are you going to have to make any changes there for the extra HP? sounds like a great project.

Right now the front and rear differentials are staying stock. That will be round 2 with a bigger blower and built bottom end.

jafo9 05-25-2013 12:44 PM

So I guess that means you'll have to take it easy on the burn outs. Well, maybe just a few.

prostar205 05-26-2013 12:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, just a few. I'm sure I won't be able to help myself.

Here are few pictures of the de-construction.

cwarndahl 05-26-2013 04:23 PM

I'm s
A sucker for project photos keep them coming!

prostar205 05-26-2013 04:40 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Ok, more pictures.

prostar205 05-26-2013 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One last picture for now.

Voodoo 05-26-2013 05:34 PM

"Styling" and Expedition in the same sentence...too funny.

prostar205 05-26-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo (Post 939549)
"Styling" and Expedition in the same sentence...too funny.

You know what they say - "Beauty's in the eye of the beholder". Not nice to throw stones - never know when they'll be thrown back.

Yes, I do think my Expedition has great lines.

Voodoo 05-27-2013 09:47 AM

OK then, Mr. Sensitive

gotjag941 05-27-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo (Post 939657)
OK then, Mr. Sensitive

I mean seriously what kind of response did you expect from a guy who is rationalizing a pointless project IMO join the svt forum and show them your excitement just my .2 cents

SJ. 06-25-2013 08:16 PM

How's it coming along, TH? Has the weaker half asked why it sounds so whiney yet when it runs? You should send her the link to this thread, lol.

prostar205 06-25-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ. (Post 950951)
How's it coming along, TH? Has the weaker half asked why it sounds so whiney yet when it runs? You should send her the link to this thread, lol.

Action - The damn thing is still in the shop. Probably another 2 weeks. Just got the new SS headers and SS Y-pipe and exhaust ordered. Can't wait to get her back.

I got your check for the ASU game - thanks my friend. It won't be the same without Willie but we'll have to tip several back in his memory. Hope all is well and you're getting the X-2 out. I had the X-30 out last Saturday with 6 kids and myself only. We all had a great time.

SJ. 06-25-2013 08:57 PM

Agreeed re Willie. We need to keep his seat for the game and leave it open for him.

I traded out the Rubicon for a F150 4x4 Supercrew Ecoboost Platinum last week. That things has some nuts when you step down on it.

Found out my trailer brakes are toast. Need to cut out the Reliable stuff and have all new put in up front. Probably will do the calipers right away as well. It's at the shop now, might have to run without the brakes over the 4th but the 150 should handle it fine.

Took the kids out surfing this morning, perfect glass. Ry is now trying to get kickbacks off the top of the wave. Pretty fun to watch, although he eats it still when he really goes for it. I need to teach him how to drive!!!

prostar205 06-25-2013 08:59 PM

[quote=SJ.;950970]Agreeed re Willie. We need to keep his seat for the game and leave it open for him.

Trav's taking Willie's ticket to ASU.

Found out my trailer brakes are toast. Need to cut out the Reliable stuff and have all new put in up front. Probably will do the calipers right away as well. It's at the shop now, might have to run without the brakes over the 4th but the 150 should handle it fine.

Have your dealer check with Reliable on a factory exchange program. I got 4 new calipers from them for FREE because of a manufacturing defect in my brakes. It's worth a try.

SJ. 06-25-2013 09:57 PM

They are out of business now it appears.

BudmanV24 08-16-2013 09:30 AM

Any pics or news of the completed project?

prostar205 08-16-2013 12:37 PM

Project has been dragging it's feet. The engine, transmission, headers, Y-pipe, exhaust are all in. Now, the shop is finishing the details of the wiring, throttle linkage, bolting the accessories (alt, PS, A/C, etc...) to the new Lightning engine. I will have pictures up soon. I just saw it at the shop and it looks incredible. The guys doing it think we'll hit just over 400hp at the rear wheels.

prostar205 08-28-2013 04:55 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the progress:

prostar205 08-28-2013 04:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the Superchargers Intercooler and Intercooler pump and the dual 255 fuel pumps needed for the Lightning conversion.

scott023 08-28-2013 06:50 PM

Dang, that's a tight fit. Looks good.

thatsmrmastercraft 08-28-2013 06:55 PM

This is a really cool project.

JDC 08-31-2013 10:15 AM

Looks awesome! Did they wiggle that down in there with the headers attached, or was that photo for show?

Is there going to be any problem with heat from those headers since they stick out there quite a bit more than the stock manifolds?

Sorry to hear it's taking so long. Expecting it up and running by July and it's now almost September, kinda sucks.

Wish I could be there the first time it's fired up! :headbang:

prostar205 08-31-2013 11:12 AM

They originally tried installing the engine with the headers but it just wouldn't go in so they took them off an installed them after putting the engine in. There are no fit issues - they fit up in the engine compartment perfectly. Prior to buying the engine it sat in a a shop since 2001 and had never been fired. My shop got it fired up on the first try. They said it runs great. There are still a few loose ends with brackets and the underdrive pulley to get for the supercharger but those items should be here this weekend. I think I'll get it back in a week after it's dyno'd - just ave to find some time on their all wheel drive dyno.

prostar205 09-15-2013 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
She's finally done and ready for delivery.

5 months in the making - this thing is a monster.

Here's a picture of the completed engine compartment. However, almost every part of the truck was touched, even the interior.

scott023 09-15-2013 08:00 PM

That sucker is packed in there. You're going to have to let us know how it performs. Hope it was will worth the wait.

prostar205 09-30-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott023 (Post 978202)
That sucker is packed in there. You're going to have to let us know how it performs. Hope it was will worth the wait.

To all that are interested (I know some think I am nuts) - I've had the truck back for ~10 days and I couldn't be happier. The shop that did the work was unbelieveably detailed. This thing runs better than it ever did when it was new - 14 years ago. I can't explain how satisfied I am and it's just FAST. It has pick up like by buddies 300 SRT8 that has had work done to it.

For 5,500 lbs., it really moves and the gas mileage isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm getting 11.4 mpg and that's while being heavy with my right foot.

All in all, definately worth the wait and $$$$.

MC25 09-30-2013 05:13 PM

need some vids!