TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   For Sale: Boats (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   2006 Mastercraft X-1 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=50627)

mplv 09-03-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossterman (Post 874400)
With as much corrosion on the platform, anti-foulant paint, and the anode on the rudder, it sure looks like it was used in saltwater previously. Might be worth some checking to get a history on it and wher it was originally purchased.
You might also consider having someone remove the paint and restore the gelcoat rather than try and discount it for sale as is. Someone would consider it a big gamble that it can be brought back for a few grand so will probably want quite a bit off the asking price in case they have to have it recoated.

If you are able to get it cleaned up, you should be able to get a good price for it.


Or you could just get a clean boat for 5k more

New06X1 09-03-2012 04:23 PM

Ya I understand and totally agree. I've just invested too much on the interior and motor already. No more money that's why I'm trying as is! It needs a few thousand for someone to sand and buff and wax the gel, then I need to purchase mastercraft decals. Should I polish the ruder and prop?? Also what do u mean painted armrest and engine cover?? I'm new to boats and don't know much. I will Probally start fixing piece by piece in the winter. I got a offer of 20,000 but its a little too low for having rebuilt motor and interior. Its basically cosmetic problems now which should cost $2k - $3k but is hard work and time consuming. Thanks for your input. I'll keep u updated. Hopefully someone's looking for a project of there own for this winter and can take this mastercraft off my hands

New06X1 09-03-2012 04:26 PM

And that's wat I'm afraid of all this work already hasn't paid off. If I put another chunk into it and I just get attacked in spring and get lowballed because all the work I've done. That's why I'm trying to get rid of it now so everyone knows wat there getting into and can do it themselves.

waterlogged882 09-03-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New06X1 (Post 874521)
And that's wat I'm afraid of all this work already hasn't paid off. If I put another chunk into it and I just get attacked in spring and get lowballed because all the work I've done. That's why I'm trying to get rid of it now so everyone knows wat there getting into and can do it themselves.

What I have observed over the years is that a boat in good to great shape will hold a current market value, whatever the market will bear. Anything over and above that you put into a boat will just be a sunken cost. Even the further casting of dollars into an engine and interior (where you want to recover the investment) is not likely to happen. One rarely gets a full return of investment...thus a hobby and not an investment. That said, your boat is not attractive (in my opinion) as a sellable machine due to all of the modifications, and fixes that you or someone else has inflicted on the boat. It is in a half-way, jury-rigged condition that has nothing to offer unless you drop the price significantly. I'd take that $20k and be happy, call it a lesson learned, and move on.

$0.02

.

Tristar Racing 09-04-2012 12:30 AM

I'm in awe that this boat was once described as new condition...

Rossterman 09-04-2012 07:52 AM

$20k is a very good offer considering the condition- as said above, i would take it and move on. These boats haven't changed much over the years and you can find immaculate boats a couple of years older for $20k if you are patient. Considering what you would spend to just get it into "average" condition, I'd be surprised if you got much over $25-$27k. That would be with everything refinished including the trailer. I would think you would be in it another $5k (refinish, trailer parts, misc brackets,etc) so any additional increase in sales price would be eaten up by the expenses. Also you need to consider this boat will never be considered "like new" or pristine so you would be fooling yourself that it would command anything close to what a well taken care of one would. Let me see if I can explain it better to you:

You go to a car dealer and there are two identical cars sitting there. Both look to be new.

The salesman says the first one one was traded in by the original owner, kept in the garage, never wrecked, and had a full service record showing the only thing ever done to it was change the oil/filter. Paint is perfect original finish as well. Car has 25k miles and runs great.

The other car has had 2 or 3 owners, no service history, does have a new motor and was recently repainted outside and has new leather seats. car as the same miles as the other and runs great.

To the buyer, they both look good. Which one would you buy? Would you expect both to command the same price? Would you think both cars will have the same reliability as each other down the road?

Now the dealer may get lucky and someone not too savvy on cars to offer close to the first one (if they didn't know the first one was available or bought into the dealer's BS telling them having the engine rebuilt and car repainted was better) but now consider the buyer is a car (or MC boat in your case) enthusist. Would you likely get the same outcome? Would you pay the same amount for the second car as the first? See my point?

I bought an original owner 2001 205V with all the bells and whistles at the peak of spring for $20k. Didn't need new skins, engine, or anything else. Looks like a new boat inside and out. All the service records, spare prop, etc. These kind of deals are out there. Would I pay even pay $20k for a 5 year newer boat that was beat? No. Another factor working against you is that there is nothing is significantly different (hull, engine, electronics interior) between a 2001 and 2006 so all you would be getting is a newer vin# and a boat that wasn't taken care of. If i were you i'd Take the $20k and run.

Thrall 09-04-2012 12:16 PM

WOw, tough crowd!
This guy took everyone's advice the first time around and cleaned up his add, tons of pictures, professional responses to all of your stupid slams on his boat....................and you're still bustin his chops! If it's worth what he's asking someone will buy it for that much, if not, they won't, period.
Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

And who'd bust his balls about the carpet??? Grungy? Looks new, but needs vaccumed.

Good luck with the sale NEW06X1.

Rossterman 09-04-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrall (Post 874722)
WOw, tough crowd!
This guy took everyone's advice the first time around and cleaned up his add, tons of pictures, professional responses to all of your stupid slams on his boat....................and you're still bustin his chops! If it's worth what he's asking someone will buy it for that much, if not, they won't, period.
Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

And who'd bust his balls about the carpet??? Grungy? Looks new, but needs vaccumed.

Good luck with the sale NEW06X1.

Agree he has a much better written ad and now has good pictures. Not trying to dis him, rather provide some realistic advice on the boat and suggestions on options to get more money out of the sale. Sorry if I came off to you as something else but as others have said, it was advertised as new, is far from that condition, and will take a heap of work to get back in saleable shape. Was also trying to explain that most buyers will see the new engine and upholstry as a negative as it is indicative the boat was poorly maintained. the pics just confirm the rest of the boat isn't pristine either.

If it were me, I would do the cleanup and sell next spring because I like that kind of thing (rebuilding and restoring old cars, etc). If paying someone to do the work, he's probably going to spend what additional sale $ he earns paying to clean it up. There are several similar models on inboards only in the $30K range that will likey sell for $25k-$27k. IF the gel can be brought back and the rest cleaned up, he may conceivably find someone to pay that.

I know the original thread on this site had some pretty negative comments (from both sides) but folks are really here to help. As I said I am new to the mastercraft boat thing and found tons of help from folks on this board. I'm sure the seller would find good advice during the refurbishment if he was asking questions during the clean up process.

Cheers

Rossterman 09-04-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New06X1 (Post 874520)
Ya I understand and totally agree. I've just invested too much on the interior and motor already. No more money that's why I'm trying as is! It needs a few thousand for someone to sand and buff and wax the gel, then I need to purchase mastercraft decals. Should I polish the ruder and prop?? Also what do u mean painted armrest and engine cover?? I'm new to boats and don't know much. I will Probally start fixing piece by piece in the winter. I got a offer of 20,000 but its a little too low for having rebuilt motor and interior. Its basically cosmetic problems now which should cost $2k - $3k but is hard work and time consuming. Thanks for your input. I'll keep u updated. Hopefully someone's looking for a project of there own for this winter and can take this mastercraft off my hands

I would do the winter cleanup as well. As to your questions- Yes would clean the rudder and running gear- maybe wire buff to remove corrosion on it and the strut, prop. Looked like the armrest was painted black but looking at the pics, it looks like the glovebox and dash are the same so maybe they came that color. Mine was grey matching the seat trim so thought it had been sprayed... Might be good to repainted the hatch support where the black paint is coming off as well or possibly just remove the paint?



Good luck

snork 09-04-2012 01:11 PM

Mastercrafts 2004 and newer all sides, dash and trim went black in color


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 AM.


2018