TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ford's Cash Cow (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53870)

zsqure 04-25-2013 11:59 AM

H2o, my '02 and '04 Chevy diesels had new injectors and injector pumps at 60k and 120k. Both $6000 bills covered under warranty. Big bills for big toys.

captain planet 04-25-2013 12:17 PM

I'll jump into this and add what I know. My buddies that are in the marine industry who do a lot of towing all agree that GM is preferred without hesitation. For construction vehicles that don't do a lot of towing the F-250 and up has the edge over GM.

Funny that Dodge isn't in the conversation. Too bad they can keep a tranny together behind that Cummins in their trucks.

As for the overall premise of this thread, something seems skewed. The Focus is the #1 selling car in the world. Ford sold over 1 million units last year across the globe. That has to account for something.

Traxx822 04-25-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain planet (Post 929062)
I'll jump into this and add what I know. My buddies that are in the marine industry who do a lot of towing all agree that GM is preferred without hesitation. For construction vehicles that don't do a lot of towing the F-250 and up has the edge over GM.

Funny that Dodge isn't in the conversation. Too bad they can keep a tranny together behind that Cummins in their trucks.

As for the overall premise of this thread, something seems skewed. The Focus is the #1 selling car in the world. Ford sold over 1 million units last year across the globe. That has to account for something.

I love all the complaining about Ford and GM. When in reality most are drooling over GM equipped boats, they want or already own.

Retoxtony 04-25-2013 01:05 PM

I work as a gasfield operator so me and my coworkers put alot of hard miles on our trucks. Right now there are 3 of us running new Fords. All of us are extremely unhappy with them. Lots of time in the shop, and lots of fighting to get warranty work done. I`ve actually gone back to using my 91 GMC 2500 for a work truck because i have less downtime with it. I find it sad that my old girl with 319,193 KM on it is more reliable than my new truck. I still use my Ford to get to work and back but i don`t trust it as a field truck.

gweaver 04-25-2013 01:13 PM

I don't know much about brand quality for any of the Big 3, but I'd assume that for the most part, they're all about the same. I think for me, if considering the purchase of a new vehicle, I'd have to go with which one moves me. I like the body styles of the Ford and Chevy truck, but I think the Dodge is the only one that offers a crew cab and a full size bed in the 1/2 ton. That 5-5 1/2 foot bed on the other two is a deal breaker for me. Just not enough room for hauling. That, and the apparent decision of Dodge to make the 1500 available with a diesel V6...drool!!!
Does anyone know why you can't get a 1/2 ton with crew cab + 6 1/2' bed? What's so special about that combo that it's only available in 3/4 ton or 1 ton?
G

captain planet 04-25-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gweaver (Post 929081)
I don't know much about brand quality for any of the Big 3, but I'd assume that for the most part, they're all about the same. I think for me, if considering the purchase of a new vehicle, I'd have to go with which one moves me. I like the body styles of the Ford and Chevy truck, but I think the Dodge is the only one that offers a crew cab and a full size bed in the 1/2 ton. That 5-5 1/2 foot bed on the other two is a deal breaker for me. Just not enough room for hauling. That, and the apparent decision of Dodge to make the 1500 available with a diesel V6...drool!!!
Does anyone know why you can't get a 1/2 ton with crew cab + 6 1/2' bed? What's so special about that combo that it's only available in 3/4 ton or 1 ton?
G

I guess that they assume if you are buying a Ford or GM you are actually going to use the bed of the truck and not just pose with it?! :D

aquaman 04-25-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain planet (Post 929062)

Good point.

Ford has some very innovative models this year ......besides the F150.
Ford is not a "1" car company.

Traxx822 04-25-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

G

You can buy a Dodge Crew cab, not the Mega cab with an 8 foot bed in the 1/2 ton and 1 ton and dually. I think it only comes in a lariat trim package though but I could be wrong.

I drove one of those 1 ton duallies for work pulling a lot of concrete equipment. It was an 2008 and had a Jake brake and everything. Cummins Diesel. Thats the only way I would buy a dodge. In that exact set up.

As far as quad cabs and full sized beds. I wasn't aware that wasn't something you couldn't order from GM. I know they did in 2000. But they may have stopped with the offset of the box style around that year with GMC

Retoxtony 04-25-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

G

Pretty sure ford offers a 6.5 foot bed with the crew cab. Mines a 5.5 foot but i do wish it was longer.

gweaver 04-25-2013 01:46 PM

I know when I've played around with the 'Build Your Own' feature on the Ford/Chevy websites, if you want a crew cab, it automatically gives you the 5.5' bed. I don't know, maybe a dealer can do something special and get a standard bed. I've seen what look like crew cab F150s with full size beds driving around, but I've never seen one close up.
G