PDA

View Full Version : Any electrical guys out there

Flatwaterfooter
06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
I have a quick question wiring in a ceiling fan anyone able to help?

ttu
06-30-2006, 09:39 AM
flatwater, what is the ????

I am no electrician but I have installed a few fans.

Flatwaterfooter
06-30-2006, 09:45 AM
I added a ceiling fan to my sons room. There was not a light that existed so I had to run new wires. I want to tie it into the existing light switch that controls an outlet. My goal is to have permanent power to the outlet. The light switch will be changed out with a light/fan control switch Which has three wires. THe only wires in the back box for the current light switch is one black and one white. I have run 4 wires from the fan to the switch (Black,White,Red, Ground).
How do I wire this in to work properly.

I hope this was not to difficult to follow. Thanks

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Whatever you do, dont follow TMC no1's electrical advice. If you do, next time you try to make toast, your microwave will explode and your blender will fly right off the counter. and when you use your George Forman grille, you will end up with two little beef jerky type hamburgers. :D

Flatwaterfooter
06-30-2006, 09:55 AM
I thought I had it figured out yesterday. Pulled the chain on the light on the fan and the radio plugged into the outlet turned on.

MarkP
06-30-2006, 09:57 AM
I thought I had it figured out yesterday. Pulled the chain on the light on the fan and the radio plugged into the outlet turned on.
LOL

At least the toilet didnít flush;)

wesgardner
06-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Flat,

The current switch, as I understand it, is just a switch leg meaning the wires in there are just the "hot" wire being interupted/"switched" by the switch, so you really don't have a neutral there at all.

When you pulled the chain, you just completed the circuit, similar to turning the switch on...

I think you need to do a couple things - get the switch leg off the receptacle so it'll stay "on" all the time like you want. You'll need to pull power up to your fan so you have both hot and neutral, then pull wires over to the switch box location (14/3) and wire up your fan/light control.

For me, sometimes it;s hard to visualize this without drawing a simple wiring diagram, try that...

Flatwaterfooter
06-30-2006, 10:08 AM
If I follow what you are saying, I need to pull the power from the outlet not the switch up to the fan, then from the fan back over to the new switch? Is that right

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-30-2006, 10:09 AM
LOL

At least the toilet didnít flush;)

If HB had wired it, that might happen. :uglyhamme

wesgardner
06-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Flat,

Yup, I think so...sometimes it's hard without being there to see what you've got but yeah, I'd say because you seem to only have a switch leg at the switch location (sometimes it's wired such that there is a hot and a neuatral in the box) - seems both hot and neutral are in your receptacle box with the hot wire being interupted (switched) by the wall switch (sometimes when this is done, the guy wiring it will put a piece of black tape on the WHITE wire in the wall switch box indicating this is just a continuation of the "hot" wire (normally black)...

But, like I said, you need to get both hot and neutral up to the fan (by running them from the receptacle box) and then run wires over to the wall switch box - these will control the fan...

First identify what pair is the "feed" - this will be in the receptacle box - I think, then sort out which is/are the switch leg wires, then proceed with altering it...if you get stumped, you may be safest by calling an electrician...like I said, sometimes when confused, I draw a little wiring diagram to help me sort it out...

OhioProstar
06-30-2006, 10:32 AM
The White will run past the switch directly from your outlet as the neutral. The Black #1 will be interupted at the switch for the fan light. Black #2 will also run past the switch directly to the string switch of the fan.

JimN
06-30-2006, 10:36 AM
You need to twist the feed and outlet wires together, then add a lead (pigtail) to each of the feed wires (hot, neutral and ground). The hot pigtail will go to the light switch input terminal and the switch output will go to the fan. The neutral wires are twisted together and the grounds will be twisted together. If the original feed is BX, the grounds go to the box, via a pigtail.

Flatwaterfooter
06-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. It better work, once this is done I get to go to the lake for the week.

TMCNo1
06-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Whatever you do, dont follow TMC no1's electrical advice. If you do, next time you try to make toast, your microwave will explode and your blender will fly right off the counter. and when you use your George Forman grille, you will end up with two little beef jerky type hamburgers. :D

I got a CHARGE out of that, Sparky!

TMCNo1
06-30-2006, 12:40 PM
I have a quick question wiring in a ceiling fan anyone able to help?

Enquiring minds want to know. right Gene?

OhioProstar
06-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Please note that I am not an electrician...but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

TMCNo1
06-30-2006, 12:51 PM
My kno nossing!

bradlisa
06-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Chances are the wire that was origianl in the switch box the white wire is the hot wire and the black wire would land on the switched recep. You will need to find out for sure where the original wire from the switch to recep. Is the recep splitwired? where one side is hot all the time and say the bottom is switched. If so, Replace the recep with new one take original wires and tie them in color to color in recep box. That way you have a Black hot wire and a white neutral wire at switch box. then tie white to white in switch box and black original to switch line lead and black or red to fan part of switch and either or on light. Hope this can be followed.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-30-2006, 05:28 PM
I added a ceiling fan to my sons room. There was not a light that existed so I had to run new wires. I want to tie it into the existing light switch that controls an outlet. My goal is to have permanent power to the outlet. The light switch will be changed out with a light/fan control switch Which has three wires. THe only wires in the back box for the current light switch is one black and one white. I have run 4 wires from the fan to the switch (Black,White,Red, Ground).
How do I wire this in to work properly.

I hope this was not to difficult to follow. Thanks
White stays with white (neutral), Black use for fan hot(or switched), red use for light switched, did you pull a green because you do not have conduit, or did you think it needed another ground. Is the whole house conduit, or only in sections. This makes a difference whether you need the green(ground). If its all conduit, just ground the fan at the connections to the BOX or the green if you feel the need, but that better be grounded elsewhere then.
This also changes depending on which fans and controls you use. Some 3 or 4 speed fans with dimming fixtures only require two wires all together (ie some Casablanca or the like) depending on the controls.

Need more help, post away.... I hope you know this already, but turn the circuit off first. And watch out for that neutral if there are other appliances on those circuits down the line, you could still get hit.
Lastly....Fiberglass ladder...;)

JDK
07-01-2006, 12:45 AM
The White will run past the switch directly from your outlet as the neutral. The Black #1 will be interupted at the switch for the fan light. Black #2 will also run past the switch directly to the string switch of the fan.

You got it......I would add a second switch (in a new 'reno-type' box) on black #2 so you don't need the sting.