PDA

View Full Version : amount of oil in mcx

TOO-TALL
06-29-2006, 11:02 PM
OK I've been looking in my manual and can't find how many quarts of oil a MCX holds with a filter change.I need to change the oil tommorow before i head to the lake.

Help.................

bigmac
06-30-2006, 01:25 AM
5.5 quarts. Here's a link to Indmar's operator's manual.

http://indmar.com/files/manual/Indmar_Operators_Manual_2003.pdf

Ric
06-30-2006, 07:28 AM
I changed mine in my mcx earlier this week
4 quarts took me to the proper line on the dipstick BEFORE running the motor

I was going to hook up the fake alake yesterday and didnt do it.. I think it is going to be around 5 qts total

any of you guys pre-fill the oil filter prior to installing it? An old fella that rebuilt a motor for me when I was a kid said that you should do this...

djhuff
06-30-2006, 07:30 AM
any of you guys pre-fill the oil filter prior to installing it? An old fella that rebuilt a motor for me when I was a kid said that you should do this...

Always, on all of my vehicles, even if the filter is mounted sideways, I put enough in there to coat the filter fabric. Just seems like a good idea to me. Cuts down on the time it takes to start pumping oil around the engine.

Ric
06-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Always, on all of my vehicles, even if the filter is mounted sideways, I put enough in there to coat the filter fabric. Just seems like a good idea to me. Cuts down on the time it takes to start pumping oil around the engine.
Well I was whistling along and forgot that old rule.... I have not yet run the motor (I think I did the change on Monday)
Ya think oil has run down into the filter naturally by now or does it not work like that?
I will check level when I get home today

TOO-TALL
06-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the replys guys.
This was my first time changing oil in this boat it was a snap I ended up useing 5.5 quarts and the drain hose out the back plug hole is brilleant(sp)
I also used the zip lock bag trick on the filter... awesome idea.For those that don't know about the zip lock bag trick here goes .You take two zip lock bags and put them around your filter while still on the motor then you just unscrew the fliter and any drippings will fall into the zip lock bags.It won't get it all but, it gets the majority. I think I had three drops on my catch rag in the bilge.

TalleyHo
06-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the replys guys.
This was my first time changing oil in this boat it was a snap I ended up useing 5.5 quarts and the drain hose out the back plug hole is brilleant(sp)
I also used the zip lock bag trick on the filter... awesome idea.For those that don't know about the zip lock bag trick here goes .You take two zip lock bags and put them around your filter while still on the motor then you just unscrew the fliter and any drippings will fall into the zip lock bags.It won't get it all but, it gets the majority. I think I had three drops on my catch rag in the bilge.

You can also cut the bottom off of a plastic milk bottle too. I like the ziplock back idea tho...

Hopefully the new MCs will have the remote oil filter setup like some other boats. Its mounted upside down and on top - so even my 3 year old could change it w/o making a mess.

DanC
07-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Too-Tall,
I see you have a 2003 MCX. My 2003 manual absolutely SUCKS. My dealer gave me a 2004 manual for free, it's not super but more info than the 2003.

bdecker
07-06-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm planning to do my MCX oil and filter weekend. No where near 50 hours on it since the last change, but it sat all winter. I'm applying the 3 months/ 3000 miles logic here, but perhaps it's just a waste of time and effort...

Anyway, has anyone been able to find the manufacturers spec motor oil 15W/40 SJ/CH4? I spent about 40 minutes in the local NAPA today, and finally settled on the heavy duty vavoline which according their tech support exceeds this API standard. They claim this is a 1994 standard and has long since been surpassed. Is this true? I'm less concerned about the engine as I am about the Powerslot Transmission that'll use the same stuff...

bigmac
07-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm planning to do my MCX oil and filter weekend. No where near 50 hours on it since the last change, but it sat all winter. I'm applying the 3 months/ 3000 miles logic here, but perhaps it's just a waste of time and effort...

Anyway, has anyone been able to find the manufacturers spec motor oil 15W/40 SJ/CH4? I spent about 40 minutes in the local NAPA today, and finally settled on the heavy duty vavoline which according their tech support exceeds this API standard. They claim this is a 1994 standard and has long since been surpassed. Is this true? I'm less concerned about the engine as I am about the Powerslot Transmission that'll use the same stuff...

The most common mfgrs for 15w40 are Pennzoil and Shell Rotella-T, but they're all basically the same, and there's nothing wrong with Valvoline.

API service class SJ/CH4 is indeed not the current spec, but anything later is perfectly fine - anything further along in the alphabet than "J" and "H". Make sure that the oil you buy meets or exceeds both SJ and CH4

bdecker
07-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks, I've got CI-4 Plus and SL, so I should be in good shape. Bought enough for 2 changes in the engine and one transmission (ie- 1 case). I've always run SAE 40 in my old boat (PCM 351) and it runs perfect at 1100 hours. Anyone looking for a great inexpensive slalom boat?

Ric
07-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks, I've got CI-4 Plus and SL, so I should be in good shape. Bought enough for 2 changes in the engine and one transmission (ie- 1 case). I've always run SAE 40 in my old boat (PCM 351) and it runs perfect at 1100 hours. Anyone looking for a great inexpensive slalom boat?
I learned this same thing that big mac said from the napa guy
I worried that it was BS too but I got so tired of talking about jugs of oil, I took his word on the later letters surpassing the MC requirement