PDA

View Full Version : This Sucks!

jmyers
06-29-2006, 02:59 PM
I was looking up at my kitchen ceiling last night right below my master bedroom shower upstairs, and noticed the paint bubbling! :eek: I got up and started pushing on the sheetrock when my finger went right through! There is a soft spot about 4 inches around that is soft, this is not good! I am calling the insurance to get it looked at! Any great idea's (besides selling the house!) :D

ski_king
06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Leaking shower drain or faucet. A couple of thousand of insurance money plus your deductable and you will be good to go.

PendO
06-29-2006, 03:10 PM
if it is just sheetrock that will not be very expensive ... folks had a simmilar problem ... be glad it is not your floor.

jraben8
06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
I had it happen to us in our bedroom back in March. Had to replace 1/3 of the sheetrock in the room. Carpet was saved. I had to run my dryer 15 hours straight cycling towels that were used to absorb the water as it drained out of the walls so it didn't flow downstairs. Total cost, almost $4K.

Hoff1
06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
My house had similar repairs in the prior to my purchasing it. Or, at least it looks like it. I can see some drywall work on the ceiling with some patching. Don't know exactly what was done though. Could have been a upgrade or a repair.

ttu
06-29-2006, 03:26 PM
do you have a older shower directly above the area.

If so it is probably your shower pan.

Being a insurance agent, (at least not a car salesperson :) most of the time it is covered. The concern with some companies is the length of time it has dripped. If it has been going on for sometime, then it could be denied....

db

PendO
06-29-2006, 03:28 PM
if the drainage/drippage is isolated to sheetrock and not the subfloor it could be relatively simple ... however, you likely want to get on it so that you do not develop a mold issue between your floor joists ... if the insurance guy/gal cannot come over today you may want to use a drill bit or small hole saw and open up the affected area to at least start drying it out and removing the humidity from the cavity.

jmyers
06-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the replies! With all this mold stuff going around I am a bit concerned! I should be able to get an estimate from someone first right?

jraben8
06-29-2006, 03:54 PM
You already have a hole in it and if you haven't already, start a fan, you may be able to save more of it than you think

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Around here, I'd be worried about telling the ins. co. anything. Last thing I need them to find is mold.

jmyers
06-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Around here, I'd be worried about telling the ins. co. anything. Last thing I need them to find is mold.
Just keep that mold out of my boat, and it can have the house! :eek:

jmyers
06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
a company is coming in the morning to survey the damage and let me know how far the water went! They are charging $100 to survey and then either myself or them will remove the sheetrock and a plumber can come in to repair if there is a leak! Then a contractor to repair the hole! :mad:

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Just keep that mold out of my boat, and it can have the house! :eek:

Around here, the ins. cos exclude most water damage anyway.

jmyers
06-29-2006, 05:57 PM
GOOD NEWS!! Finally! A very good friend is a plumber that does this kind of work, he told me what to do to check and will be out to fix it!! :woohoo:

Workin' 4 Toys
06-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Wow, and insurance company is involved for probably $10.00 in parts, and 2 hours labor. Good thing they keep those premiums up...
Most common I've seen is seeping water NEXT TO shower or tub through the little gap between tub or shower.
It's difficult to say without seeing the layout and/or knowing what is directly above the "wet spot".

LakePirate
06-29-2006, 11:14 PM
What type of pipe do you have in the house PVC, Copper or Polybutylene?

Ric
06-30-2006, 08:03 AM
I thought that storm had all passed.

A few years ago it was the rage and they would completely rebuild someone's home and yet now I hear nothing about it...

stop the seepage and be sure you have gotten everything completely dry before buttoning it up. a bleachwater mix in a sprayer is good for killing any mildew or the rare staccyboccis (sp?) mold
let that dry and then do your finish repairs

MarkP
06-30-2006, 08:33 AM
GOOD NEWS!! Finally! A very good friend is a plumber that does this kind of work, he told me what to do to check and will be out to fix it!! :woohoo:
Good to hear! Let us know how it goes..

Usually around here, if I find a wet spot I can be about sure one of the kids is above it, or behind it or responsible for it anyway..

Iím nearly positive that up until a certain age all kids leak. I know my kids do anyway..

Leroy
06-30-2006, 09:06 AM
We have a little spot in the laundry just below my daughters bath tub....... quote "you mean water standing on the floor is a problem"

Hope it works out easily, I know it wouldn't for me!