PDA

View Full Version : Private lakes requirements

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 02:36 PM
I remember an old thread about "what if" you could live in a private development but for the life of me can't find it.....so since I tried without luck, I'll post it again! :)

If you had the opportunity to design your own private ski lake development with a limited # of homes and private water what amenities would you be looking for?

I know some already do so I'd be curious as to what things you wish your area had.

Just curious as to what the consensus really is! Post away!

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 03:03 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Evan Jones
06-29-2006, 03:18 PM
I've been tempted to try it. We've got a perfect piece of land, access to equipment, the boat. It's just that I'm not a strictly 3 event skier. I think I would get a little claustrophobic on a short man made lake. I enjoy the cruising, the changing scenery, etc. I suppose the ideal thing would be a private natural lake out in the boonies somewhere. Buy the place up and have a decent sized lake to play on. Room for a course, a jump, the rest of the lake to wakeboard or play. Sounds expensive.

kdr
06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
I do live on a private lake, although not a ski lake. If it were a perfect world, everyone would have to idle when I was boarding.

Really, the only thing I would want to see changed is to ban the use of sea walls. They are all over the place and make the small (2.5 miles long) lake a wave pool when more than two boats are out. I would like to see either rip-rap or some form of vegitation as the standard shoreline erosion control.

G-man
06-29-2006, 03:22 PM
This may upset some but no wakeboard boats, large wakes are not friendly to small lake shorelines. Nothing wrong with wakeboarders, I have friends that are wakeboarders.

Now the ultimate lake 2300 ft long 250 -300 ft wide, 1-12 slope going from buoys to shore, boatdocks not anywhere in the course or you loose 1-12 slope, community marina, a well to supply water like now in Texas where we can't spell rane because it's been so long. No turn islands, turn island equil more maintenance, multiple lakes going slightly different directions to get better conditions in windy conditions. You need to watch your home to lake ratio, to few owners and expensive dues, to many and not enough time to ski. One of the biggest current expenses is insurance for the POA, about $7000. per year, our previous carrier was over $12000. That should get this thread going.

rodltg2
06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
of course my idea would me more of a dream than a reality, but here goes.......

2 lakes, one small one for slalom course skiing only..one larger one for wakeboarding , barefooting etc.......
they would run parrallel to each other an connected at one end so you can go from one to the other..
the larger lake would have a beach withj swim area and a small club house wiht jacuzzi, games and such....
6 houses , that it. 3 houses on the outside of each lake...
in the middle there would be an air strip, and a taxi way that would enable you to taxi your plane to your house..

thats all... pretty simple...

ski_king
06-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Maybe have at least 2 parallel interconnected lakes. One for slalom and maybe barefooting only and the other for wakeboarding, tubing and other simular activities.

shepherd
06-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Natural stream or creek flowing through the lake to keep the water fresh.
Community boat ramp.
That's all. No covenants/restrictions on the individual properties, but there should be rules on lake usage and dues for lake and ski course upkeep.
Separate wakeboard and slalom lakes, and ideally a third "general watersports" lake. All connected by canals.
No seawalls. Every property should have either vegetation or a gently sloping beach at the water's edge (OK, so maybe a few covenants).

shepherd
06-29-2006, 03:31 PM
of course my idea would me more of a dream than a reality, but here goes.......

2 lakes, one small one for slalom course skiing only..one larger one for wakeboarding , barefooting etc.......
they would run parrallel to each other an connected at one end so you can go from one to the other..
the larger lake would have a beach withj swim area and a small club house wiht jacuzzi, games and such....
6 houses , that it. 3 houses on the outside of each lake...
in the middle there would be an air strip, and a taxi way that would enable you to taxi your plane to your house..

thats all... pretty simple...

Alright Rod. Sounds perfect. I especially like the fly-in community aspect. I'm in, let's build it!

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Keep it comin' ya'll! :toast:

ski_king
06-29-2006, 04:08 PM
in the middle there would be an air strip, and a taxi way that would enable you to taxi your plane to your house.....
It exists near Bettsy's lake.

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 04:10 PM
For me, perfect would be one 2,200' x 300' lake running North/South with a nice tree line all around. One big house and a nice guest house. No other houses. Nice composite boat dock with enclosed lifts and a deck on top. Winning lottery ticket. No job.

Mine, mine, mine!

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 04:10 PM
It exists near Bettsy's lake.

The place where I go to ski school every year has a grass strip and a hanger.

www.dfwski.com

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 04:15 PM
For me, perfect would be one 2,200' x 300' lake running North/South with a nice tree line all around. One big house and a nice guest house. No other houses. Nice composite boat dock with enclosed lifts and a deck on top. Winning lottery ticket. No job.

Mine, mine, mine!

Momma didn't teach you to share did she. tisk tisk tisk

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey, I'd share. But I don't want to run a ski development or be in charge of members. It's just easier to have it to myself. The guest house is for you guys.

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Hey, I'd share. But I don't want to run a ski development or be in charge of members. It's just easier to have it to myself. The guest house is for you guys.

just bustin yer balls East! Its all good. :wavey:

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Oh I know. But it's something to think about. Talk to anyone who owns a private lake about owning one. They spend as much time cutting the grass and dealing with members and insurance carriers as they do skiing the thing.

Ric
06-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Gman, how is gasoline handled at a private residential ski lake? Do yall have a fuel cell on site with restricted access, or does each owner cart his fuel to his boathouse?

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Gman, how is gasoline handled at a private residential ski lake? Do yall have a fuel cell on site with restricted access, or does each owner cart his fuel to his boathouse?

I was curious of this as well.........

Mag_Red
06-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Jeff, it looks like the best senario would be find a piece of land that's big enough to support a lake in the center, a nice gently rolling valley, surrounded by trees. Build your house at one end and then sell off maybe 5 other lots, at $150,000- $250,000 per lot. The other lots should, in theory, should be enought to cover the cost of the land, development, and cost of your residence. :wavey: I would want the trees so I wouldn't have to see the other homes except when I'm out on the lake.

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Jeff, it looks like the best senario would be find a piece of land that's big enough to support a lake in the center, a nice gently rolling valley, surrounded by trees. Build your house at one end and then sell off maybe 5 other lots, at $150,000- $250,000 per lot. The other lots should, in theory, should be enought to cover the cost of the land, development, and cost of your residence. :wavey: I would want the trees so I wouldn't have to see the other homes except when I'm out on the lake.

Bob if your buying lots at that price consider the development built!! :eek:

jraben8
06-29-2006, 04:45 PM

I don't live at the lake that g-man is associated with but I know and ski with a couple of members there. They all cart their own fuel.

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Leroy and HB, here you go!!

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA02836

G-man
06-29-2006, 10:14 PM
We cart our own fuel - there is a development outside of Houston that has a fuel cell for members, it's a sweet set up.

Ric
06-30-2006, 12:18 AM
We cart our own fuel - there is a development outside of Houston that has a fuel cell for members, it's a sweet set up.
cool
which one
lakes of katy?

Leroy
06-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Pretty nice, depending on the "lake".

I've asked for more info.

Leroy and HB, here you go!!

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA02836

LakePirate
06-30-2006, 12:44 AM
Rip-rap is a snake heaven.

Ideally I would have about 100 acres that had about 5000 feet of shore line on a public lake with my own private ski lake. The house would sit in between overlooking both the ski lake and the public lake. A couple of guests houses along the public water. Maybe a stream under Plexiglas running through the main house. A closed bow 197 for the ski lake and maybe one of those big x something or nothers with the picklefork nose for the public water, or better yet the CSX.

Ric
06-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Rip-rap is a snake heaven.

A closed bow 197 for the ski lake and maybe one of those big x something or nothers with the picklefork nose for the public water, or better yet the CSX.
cool, you mean like a 190?

LakePirate
06-30-2006, 07:47 AM
cool, you mean like a 190?

Something like that. It was late and I was tired....still am tired.

Ric
06-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Something like that. It was late and I was tired....still am tired.
I've been tired for thirty years....

djhuff
06-30-2006, 07:58 AM
I think the ideal situation would be to buy all the land around a small cove in a larger lake, put up some kind of barrier at the mouth of the cove and make the cove private, but with access to the main lake for toobin (if you're into that sort of thing) and sightseeing.

Not that this could ever happen, but a man can dream.

G-man
06-30-2006, 09:10 AM
cool
which one
lakes of katy?

Cypress Hills I haven't been to Lakes of Katy yet.

ntidsl
06-30-2006, 09:17 AM
jeff...i think what you have in mind is what walton has...3 really good friends on a lake, 3000-3500 square foot houses, 3 lifts, creek fed lakes, video cameras mounted along lake...and no members...just wait to see it saturday and all your questions will be answered!

BrianM
06-30-2006, 09:42 AM

Mine, mine, mine!

Your's exists too. It runs East/West though which is best for our winds here. The Ski Ranch in Covington, LA. Absolutely the best site I have ever been to. Just one house.

georgea0731
07-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm tired of the public lake. Destroyed our slalom course, so I'm researching getting enough land 25-? acres to build a basic slalom lake.
I just want to get away from the nuts for awhile.
Anyone know of, or seen any good spots to call and check on?
Thanks for listening,
George