PDA

View Full Version : Car Sales

ttu
06-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Okay, First of all I need to state that there really are some good car dealers that are honest before I start my story.

My mother, who lives in Evergreen Co.(I live in Tulsa), who is 64 and single goes to the Lexus Dealership in Golden to have some service work done on her 2000 RX 300 (104,000miles). Well she is walking around in the parking lot looking at used cars, and a salesmen comes to her and ask which on she likes. Well there is a 2004 RX 330 on the lot.

He shows her the vehicle and of course she likes it. They go to his office to try to make a sale. She states that she would like the salemen to call her son (me) to discuss. She hands him my business card and he states that no one is in my office today and she will have to do this herself. (lie.)

Long story short he agrees to sell her the vehicle for $35,500 and only give her $9K for her vehicle. She leave a deposit but says she will not sign any papers till she speaks with me. She gets home and calls me at my office, (imagine that). I pull the car up on their website and guess what. They are asking $31,950.........

I call the salesmen and asked why he is trying to sell her a car for $3500 more that they are asking. He states he did not know that the car was priced at that and since my mother agreed to the $35,500 that was what they were going to sell it to her.

Long story short, I called my mother and had her put a stop payment on the deposit and she called the sales mgr and told him to shove it.

Sorry I am still so pissed off that they would take that much advantage of a older women.

Doug

sanjuan23
06-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Bull... Bull... Bull... Cant stand stuff like that. How does one look in the mirror at themselves in the morning?

tex
06-29-2006, 10:03 AM
That sucks, I try to take advantage of an older woman every day, my wife!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-29-2006, 10:39 AM
this is a perfect example of why I will never be an outstanding car salesman. Its good that car sales only supplement my income, otherwise I would starve to death. I only sell a few cars a month, but I sleep at night. I have alot of repeat business which says alot. I do lose sales to dealerships with smooth talkin BS artists, but If I cant sell a car on without lying and coniving tactics, then I dont want to sell it. The part that REALLY gets me is, there are so many customers out there that actually fall for this ****. :mad: how do you think those car dealerships make so much chang? it aint from frugal, well read shoppers. and the ones that really cook my goose are the customers that you present a darn fair deal to, and they go buy somewhere else and pay MORE just because they need some slick talkin BS artist blowing smoke up their arse with lies and BS just to make the customer feel like they are getting the deal of the century. :noface: I cant stand that. I may be a "stoic" car salesman, I dont get all wound up and animated. I am real simple, this is the car, this is the price.

bcampbe7
06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Sorry to hear this Doug. I hate going to car dealers. As soon as you drive on the lot they are all over you. I understand they need to make money just like everyone else, but lay off a bit. Crooked car dealers are the worst and it is unfortunate that your Mom had to go through this.

...I dont get all wound up and animated...

I call BS! :D

PendO
06-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Because of your mother's age you might consider contacting your state's Attorney General office ... usually there are actually some good laws on the books to help seniors avoid issues like these and actually levy some monetary fines at the dealership ... what state is your mom from?

If the manager does not make it right I would put in a compaint with the BBB and with the AG's office ... and if I was really pissed I would see if a local paper or news show would do a story on it ... they love to do this kind of thing and actually could do one of those hidden camera things.

Okay, First of all I need to state that there really are some good car dealers that are honest before I start my story.

My mother, who lives in Evergreen Co.(I live in Tulsa), who is 64 and single goes to the Lexus Dealership in Golden to have some service work done on her 2000 RX 300 (104,000miles). Well she is walking around in the parking lot looking at used cars, and a salesmen comes to her and ask which on she likes. Well there is a 2004 RX 330 on the lot.

He shows her the vehicle and of course she likes it. They go to his office to try to make a sale. She states that she would like the salemen to call her son (me) to discuss. She hands him my business card and he states that no one is in my office today and she will have to do this herself. (lie.)

Long story short he agrees to sell her the vehicle for $35,500 and only give her $9K for her vehicle. She leave a deposit but says she will not sign any papers till she speaks with me. She gets home and calls me at my office, (imagine that). I pull the car up on their website and guess what. They are asking $31,950.........

I call the salesmen and asked why he is trying to sell her a car for $3500 more that they are asking. He states he did not know that the car was priced at that and since my mother agreed to the $35,500 that was what they were going to sell it to her.

Long story short, I called my mother and had her put a stop payment on the deposit and she called the sales mgr and told him to shove it.

Sorry I am still so pissed off that they would take that much advantage of a older women.

Doug

jraben8
06-29-2006, 10:56 AM
This is the exact (or one of the) reason that I will only go through the Internet person. The last 4 experiences have been fantastic purchasing through these individuals at 3 different dealerships. "This is the car, this is the price, let me know." and they leave you alone.

I'm very sorry that she had to go through that.

PendO
06-29-2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.atg.wa.gov/releases/rel_AandDAuto_081602.html

here is a link to a story from my state ... it is an old article b/c the AG at the time is now our state's Governor ... but I think you will find the AG's office a big help if the stop payment does not work.

06-29-2006, 11:02 AM
I call BS! :D I only get animated and wound up when people are ******* with me on here! :D

SKI*MC
06-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Anyone watch Family Guy. There is a sleezey salesman in there, and this guy just reminded my of him.

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 11:11 AM
And car salesman wonder why the general public consider them the scum of the earth........... :rolleyes: (no offense to UMP or TScott)

AZHAWK
06-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Even if she did sign the docs., I believe the law in most states is 72 hours to recind the contract (cooling off period). It is sad to hear but we all now why salesman get such a bad rap...because of white powder junkies like these clowns. UMP- sounds like you are one of the many legit car salesmen out there that get overshadowed by your stereotypical car sales criminals. Some dealers thrive on this s--t, others try to do biz with more honesty and itegrity. It's funny, you always hear stories like this, but rarely ever hear people talk about their great experiences with car sales or how good of a deal they got etc. :twocents:

ttu- I'm glad you and your mom got everything worked out.

-AZHAWK.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-29-2006, 11:33 AM
goes to the Lexus Dealership
Friggin' Lexus dealers!!!!! :mad: I hate those places.

Glad you were able to get things worked out.

06-29-2006, 11:38 AM
And car salesman wonder why the general public consider them the scum of the earth........... :rolleyes: (no offense to UMP or TScott)
NO offense taken, they have deserved the stereotype they have created for themselves. Most are dishonest and unscroupulous. :(

Workin' 4 Toys
06-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Most are dishonest and unscroupulous. :(
This is probably why test drives are so much fun, when you don't actually have any intentions of buying...

ttu
06-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Guys, Thanks for the support. I am still steaming about this.

Oh and I forgot to add when I was speaking to the used car mgr. about the "real price" he said that he had to add 3K to that price 31,950 for the "certified warranty" and that is how they came up with the pricing. I called bulls$$$$ and stated that the internet stated that it was already certified.

I then called a client of mine who is a sales person at Lexus of Tulsa and discussed this whole thing with him. He was so pissed with this thing stating they were trying to hit a home run on this sale.

Again they have the right to make money, and I understand that, it's just the fact of all the lies.

Doug

ps, hope all have a safe holiday.

parks_jr_55
06-29-2006, 11:44 AM
That should not be happening at a Lexus dealership. With upscale cars they should not be treating customers like that.

boatless
06-29-2006, 11:44 AM
I never have good experiences when buying cars at the dealers ! Some time I just want to go to the dealer and buy the car I want for the price I want to pay and get the hek(*&^ out of that place. Same with buying boats, they sound so friendly before you sign the paper. After you get the boat out of the lot, there would be a big stamp letter (SUCKERS) on your head. :D

milkmania
06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
here's what I found this morning......

think we could all get together and make inquiries about ALL the 04 models?:cool:

ttu
06-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Milk, thanks but the dealer I am having problems is in Golden Colorado.

My client works at that dealership and I have purchased a few Lexus's from him. He said he would give my mother a good deal on one she would just have to drive out here. Hopefully she will.

Doug

Leroy
06-29-2006, 12:40 PM
My mom (84) got taken by a dealer couple of years ago. I told her not to do anything until I could see the deal but she got pushed through and I'm sure taken for at least $5k more than she should have paid.

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Even if she did sign the docs., I believe the law in most states is 72 hours to recind the contract (cooling off period).
ttu- I'm glad you and your mom got everything worked out.

-AZHAWK.

Colorado doesn't have a right to rescind law on auto purchases, they do for real estate. Glad it all worked out ttu, after re-reading the message about the dealer I know of them well. Coming from the auto advertising world in Denver, I knew all of the dealers, dealer owners personally etc... Lets just say the dealer board spends ALOT of time handling disputes there along with one other dealership in Golden........ :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 12:47 PM
That should not be happening at a Lexus dealership. With upscale cars they should not be treating customers like that.

But the guy buying a Chevy should have to deal with it????? Please............. :rolleyes:

billr
06-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I once had a car salesman say " You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin him once" . I bought the car!

Leroy
06-29-2006, 01:01 PM
I blame the buyers, even though it was done to my Mom. She puts more research and thought into buying a box of rice than she did buying a $25k Camry.

Buying a car is a major purchase.

phecksel
06-29-2006, 11:21 PM
I blame the buyers, even though it was done to my Mom. She puts more research and thought into buying a box of rice than she did buying a $25k Camry.

Buying a car is a major purchase.
Count me in as a bad buyer. I will usually research things to death, and find the best deal possible. I was pleased with my dealings with my Mastercraft dealer, IMHO, they were honest in our dealings.

My explorer on the other hand.... I've been paying way too much on the lease for 31 months on a 36 month lease. Guess where I'm buying/leasing my next car...ANYWHERE ELSE. I sat down with the lease paperwork again tonight, trying to figure out where I got screwed, and seriously can't cypher it. Best I can come up with was some interest prepayment, and paying two acquition fees, plus an x-plan fee I should have never paid. My wife bought her car at the same time, paid 30% under sticker for a brand new car. She's buying my next car :)

Workin' 4 Toys
06-29-2006, 11:25 PM
She's buying my next car :)
Can you arrange for her to buy me one too.....:rolleyes:

Maristar210
06-30-2006, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=Upper Michigan Prostar190] Its good that car sales only supplement my income, otherwise I would starve to death.... smooth talkin BS artists, QUOTE]

Who are you ? :uglyhamme

Thrall
06-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Most car dealers are CR@P. One great dealer to mention, and I didn't even buy a car from them is Billion Chysler/Jeep in Souix City, SD. I had a brand new Dodge p/u that crapped out the 2nd rear axle in less than 2k mi. Happened as I was driving thru SD. Dodge dealer wouldn't even talk to me at 3pm on a Fri. Went to Billion and they brought the truck in, stayed late to tear the rear axle apart and ttry to fix and get me back on the road. COuldn't fix it, so Sat morning, the service mgr (a new axle was ordered, but a few days away) found the only vehicle for rent in town that we could cheat a trailer hitch onto to pull my trlr. Rented me the vehicle, pd my motel and meals during the downtime, offered a one way plane ticket back to SD when my truck was fixed, AND Gave me a 100k mi bumper to bumper warranty for the truck for my inconvienence.
The rest have stunk!

ttu
06-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Update,

I am out with my 12 year old son playing golf (yes he beat me) when my cell phone rang and it was my mother. The dealer called her and dropped the sales price $4500 on the vehicle. She said NOOOOO.

She told me that she said to them that they had their chance to sell a vehicle and they blew it.

Heading to Table Rock tomorrow for some fun with the kids....

Thanks everyone for helping me calm down about this.

Doug

06-30-2006, 09:19 PM
I had the week from he11, lets not talk about cars ever again :cry:

stumbledog
06-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Did u sell any Chevy's? Is the 72 hour sale moving any metal?

06-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Did u sell any Chevy's? Is the 72 hour sale moving any metal?
yes, we moved alot of it. too much for me. I am tired. way tired. too tired. I am on vacation all next week and I dont even care.....

stumbledog
06-30-2006, 09:36 PM
That is good news to this GM employee. Enjoy the time off. I am off for 2 weeks!

yes, we moved alot of it. too much for me. I am tired. way tired. too tired. I am on vacation all next week and I dont even care.....

06-30-2006, 10:02 PM
well we did our part Stumbledog. Every dealer we talked to on the phone tyring to swap cars with was extremely busy too, so I anticipate the sale will be very succesful for GM. I am just whipped.

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 10:05 PM
well we did our part Stumbledog. Every dealer we talked to on the phone tyring to swap cars with was extremely busy too, so I anticipate the sale will be very succesful for GM. I am just whipped.
Whats the deal with this sale UMP? I have been out of the loop. Big incentives??

06-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Whats the deal with this sale UMP? I have been out of the loop. Big incentives??
yea, good rebates or 0.0% financing for upto 72 months on select models(most of them).