PDA

View Full Version : opinions on fly high board racks

dwe
10-24-2004, 01:03 AM
Stuffing skis and wakeboards in the walkway behind the driver is a pain, so I wanted to get some feedback from users on whether or not they liked their pole board racks. I have a fly high ss pylon, and I've their rack setup looks nice. A tower would be the ultimate solution, but more than I want to tackle any time soon.
--do the boards get in the way of the path of the rope(how far up can you mount them)?
--will skis store there as well?
--any special features/brands to look for?

Thanks!
David

mitch
10-25-2004, 09:34 AM
They're OK. My bud has them on this Malibu. The rope will be caught, but they have a guide that prevents this (+$65). You'll hit your head a few times, and your passengers will hit their heads. Save your money and put it toward a tower. my .02

DanC
10-25-2004, 12:14 PM
I used an extended pylon (10 foot pole) and racks (don't remember the brand) for several years.

Water will drip off the boards and on to the passengers. Not a problem if you have your bimini up.
The rope will get caught on the boards. Especially the top boards with the bindings up. You will have to play with how high to mount the boards. I changed mine three times to get the right trade off. Higher to not bump your head and lower to not catch the rope.
Like Mitch said the rope guide works well. Cheaper is a kick back tube (some call it a rope protector) and they help but not as much as a rope guide.
The feature I liked on mine, they a single button to push and they slid right off the pylon for transporting.

My :twocents: . The problems with the racks are just nuisances compared to the benefits of getting those boards out of the boat.

dwe
10-27-2004, 10:31 AM
I've been storing my pylon under the bow. Do you think the rack will fit under the bow on the pylon? Or, would I have to take it off the pylon each time? It sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth. We usually have 2 wakeboards, and 2-3 skis. I also use a bimini top 99% of the time, so dripping shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!

JEREMY79
10-28-2004, 11:32 PM
I have two diffrent types of racks for my pole. on one the boards sit at kinda a 45 degree angle and are held in with straps. (ok) the other boards are held level on a padded surface, and are held in with a metal strap on the end(great) just my .02 will try to get you some pics.

ShawnE
11-02-2004, 05:53 PM
I have the fly-high board rack and use the guide to prevent the rope from tangling. both work quite well. I agree with the others about the dripping and bumping your head once in awhile, but keeping the boards out of the boat out weighs the inconvenience.

Waterskis do not fit in the rack very well at all and that's a bummer.

Also, the rack is built very robust....Heavy!