PDA

View Full Version : My amp and sub suckssss !!!

boatless
06-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Well,
Either my amp and sub are cheap one cause after hooking it up, I can't hardly hear it. I can feel that the sub is working but is not loud enough to break window. Maybe I didn't hook it up right. I have a question, on my clarion deck. There are three red plugs and three white plugs. Which one is the hook up for the amp that goes to the sub ? I tried each one of them and two set are working and one pair did not do anything. On a 2005 197 prostar, where do you guy usually put your amp and sub ? Any pictures, please do post. Oh yeah, almost forget. When I just have the radio on, the amp power ligt would stay on and is working. But when I switch to play a cd, the power light on the amp start to dim and the sub is not working. What happen there ?

Thanks,

Boatless,

OhioProstar
06-29-2006, 09:13 AM
You might not have the Sub channel turned on at the deck. Look at your manual and see if you need to set the output and cross over up for the sub.

sanjuan23
06-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Just a stab in the dark about the outputs on the back of your deck. Do you have sub contol levels in the head unit? If so make sure they are turned up or at a level greater than 0.

kalanic
06-29-2006, 09:16 AM
You may wanna try & run your remote on wire to a switch rather than to the deck. You have 1 front, 1 rear, & 1 Aux for MP3 players for RCA Jacks. I would use the rear jack for your sub. If not marked, then use your fader on the deck & fade to the rear then plug your RCA's until you hear sound.

Ric
06-29-2006, 09:17 AM
sub is in the drivers footboard thing on the 197
feel around on that carpeted board above the footrest where Perfect pass and other stuff is mounted... You'll feel a void behind the carpet which you can cut away and mount a free air sub (infinite baffle or something)

Mine has 150 mono to the factory JL sub and I dont think it's enough power. The clarion in my boat has no subwoofer outputs, you have to visit mymc's site to get the procedure to get the clarion to play sub out signal on one of the channels and then run a Y adapter off the other channel to take care of the front and rear full range channels..(you lose fader when you do this)

boatless
06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Wow !!! Now, I am really lost. I didn't think that these thing are that hard to hook up. Give me some time to figure out what you guy are telling me. :D

JimN
06-29-2006, 09:31 AM
IIRC, the sub output needs to be enabled on the head unit. Another thing to look for is the crossover for the sub. If it's on high pass, you won't hear it. Also, make sure the speaker wires are on the right terminals if the amp is bridged, the gain control is set right and the input cable is in the correct jack.

Read the manual.

noose374
06-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Well,
Oh yeah, almost forget. When I just have the radio on, the amp power ligt would stay on and is working. But when I switch to play a cd, the power light on the amp start to dim and the sub is not working. What happen there ?

Thanks,

Boatless,

You have the the power antenna wire connected to the amp's turn on terminal. The radio only deploys a power antenna when in AM/FM mode - this is why the amp goes off when you play a CD. You need to hook the Remote Turn On Wire from your head unit's harness to your amp. It is easy to confuse these two wires because they are both blue. One has a white stripe and one is solid blue.

sberry3827
06-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Noose nailed it. There are two blue wires on the Clarion radio, make sure you have the solid blue one hooked up to the amps, not the blue/white. That will fix your problem.

AZHAWK
06-29-2006, 10:41 AM
What model Clarion headunit is in the '05 197?

boatless
06-29-2006, 10:47 AM
I did have it hook up to the solid blud wire. I'll go home and check again. Thanks for the info.

sberry3827
06-29-2006, 11:01 AM
maybe i have the wires mixed up then, dont have anything in front of me to check, but that sounds like the problem to me. Whichever blue wire it is on, put it on the other one.

OhioProstar
06-29-2006, 11:02 AM
CMD4 Manual
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/509/564/CMD4(Manual),0.pdf

Here is the site for the other manuals. I don't see the XMD3 manual but you it should be similar to the XMD1&2

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/support/product_manuals/index.html

OhioProstar
06-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Blue and White is Antenna
Blue is Amp...always

Ric
06-29-2006, 12:10 PM
What model Clarion headunit is in the '05 197?
xmd3 .

boatless
06-29-2006, 02:06 PM
OhioProstar,

When you said I might need to have the sub channel turn on at the deck, do you mean the CD player ? If it is, how do I turn the sub channel on ?

Ric
06-29-2006, 02:50 PM
boat, there is instructions for this on the mymastercraft.com tech forum

boatless
06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Ric,

Thanks, I'll check into that.

Ric
06-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Mike, www.mymastercraft.com is not responding this AM

OhioProstar
06-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Alright you made me walk down to the garage. On the XMD3 you hold the "T/Adj" button down and once into the menu you use the right left arrows to turn on or off things like the low pass, dimmer, aux input. Use the up/down arrows to adjust the low pass from 50/80/120/Rear. Once you have set that then you can press the "A-M" button and move the sub volume up to +6. "T-Adj" can also allow you to increase the input level of your Aux in jacks for a MP3 player. Hope this helps.

boatless
06-30-2006, 08:53 AM
OhioProstar,
Well thank you very much !!! I'll go home tonight and try it.

Thanks again.

boatless.

Ric
06-30-2006, 08:57 AM
ok I have been wondering who here had the PHd to run the XMD3 and you are it Ohio!

If you adjust the low pass and the sub volume in those settings, do they stay if you then go back and start changing the equalizer settings to things like "Impact" or "excite" etc?
AND, it almost sounds to me that my midrange pairs are getting too much of that bass effect when I change those equalizer settings.... Any thoughts?

JimN
06-30-2006, 09:00 AM
If the mid-bass are getting too much increase when you adjust the bass control(s), go to the amp and raise the high pass frequency, or change the low-pass requency to 80 Hz instead of using 120 Hz, by going into the head unit's setup menu as described before.

Ric
06-30-2006, 09:05 AM
my amps are some old large alpine 4 channel setups, I will have to look & see if they even have adjustable high pass.. back in the day, you bought all those amps and put a huge crossover network control box in between the amps and the headunit which took care of all the frequencies... this is why I tend to think there are no adjustments on my amps.
as far as the headunit adjustments, what I'm asking is, can you make those adjustments stay as you play with the different "equalizer" setttings built into the headunit?

OhioProstar
06-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Ric
If you adjust the low pass and adjust the sub it will not change when you use the EQ settings. A low pass is only for the sub. I set mine at 80 and +3 on the volume. I use Jim's method to adjust the high pass for the mid-range speakers. That channel gets "flat" data to the amp and then I run the volume up all the way and slowing back the distortion out of the mid's from the bass. This way regardless of the EQ setting it stays clear. I do run two amps, a mono for the 12" Kicker and a 4 way for the mid's.

JimN
06-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Ric- go to a good car audio shop and ask if they have passive, line level crossovers. Harrison makes them and IIRC, Stinger sells them, too. They're available for most frequencies and although there is a little insertion loss, that can be made up by raising the input sensitivity control setting.

OhioProstar
06-30-2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISBASS1

boatless
06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
I wish there is a detail graph of how to hook up an amp, sub, more speakers, or what ever audio equipments there are. I am lost with all these terms, I mean what is a kicker and why would one needs it. All this item going to cost a lot of bones, my amp and sub is an old unit which my dad has for years. As another note, I have seen a few people place their amp on the side wall under the dash where the driver sit or the passenger. Don't you guy worries that the screws going to go right through the gel coat on the other side ?

Thanks,

Boatless.

kalanic
06-30-2006, 11:02 AM
I mounted my amp to plexi-glass that is mounted to the inside of the rub rail. I drove screw to the inside rub rail.

Ric
06-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Ric- go to a good car audio shop and ask if they have passive, line level crossovers. Harrison makes them and IIRC, Stinger sells them, too. They're available for most frequencies and although there is a little insertion loss, that can be made up by raising the input sensitivity control setting.
I have always stayed away from those but I may have to do it

I think that my next move will be to get a headunit with 2 sets of preamp outs PLUS a friggin sub out!!!!! Thanks alot Clarion

kalanic
06-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm with ya Ric! I have been lookin at the new Kenwood Marine Deck that has the same dimensions as the huge Clarion deck. The Kenwood has Sub Outs & Still uses Sirius.

Ric
06-30-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm with ya Ric! I have been lookin at the new Kenwood Marine Deck that has the same dimensions as the huge Clarion deck. The Kenwood has Sub Outs & Still uses Sirius.
Tell me more big daddy kalanic!

Then tell MC to start ordering the Kenwood... Is it white?

PendO
06-30-2006, 11:20 AM

I wonder if it will match up with the wiring harness we have in the CMD3 and CMD4?

kalanic
06-30-2006, 11:25 AM
marine CD receiver with built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
conformal-coated chassis for corrosion resistance
waterproof faceplate with backlit, white display
fold-down CD door
full memory backup stores audio settings and presets
plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs burned with MP3 and WMA files
System Q EX Sound Control (7 preset EQ curves with 3-band equalizer)
XM and SIRIUS Satellite Radio-ready (you can add satellite radio for under $100, plus subscription)
HD Radio ready (compatible tuner required)
CD changer controls
optional auxiliary input (adapter required)
front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
direct source selection keys
CR-2 tuner
18 FM/6 AM presets
clock
CD frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
FM sensitivity: 9.3 dBf
warranty: 1 year

boatless
06-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Ooohhh... That is pretty.. :love: