PDA

View Full Version : kids, gals and the web

fletch_n_me
06-29-2006, 02:15 AM
Hey folks, hope everyone is doing well. I have noticed a good trend in some of our posts that involve obscuring the faces of kids in our pictures. This is a very good practice and should continue to be followed.

I am an eMarketing director for two of the largest ski areas in Colorado and we had an issue a few months ago. Our ski school personell were getting calls asking very strange questions like: "what time is Lindsay getting out of ski school?" or "I was told told to pick up Brian but I need to know where."

We got a very sick feeling and did a complete audit of our systems insofar as possible hacks, leaks or unauthorized publishing goes. As it turned out, a partner photography company was taking pictures of these children and posting them along with their FULL names and home towns...way too much information. The idea was that parents would click through and be able to order pictures of their kids in ski school. Unfortunately, predators were finding this page through a network of info sharing and doing some research.

We went into panic mode; the site wasn't ours but we had it hidden anyway as it presented a real threat. We contacted parents, instructors, police and anyone that was in contact with these children to make sure that this wasn't limited to strange phone calls. It turned out OK but it was way too scary. Just to imagine a child being approached with personal info was terrifying and we have since completely adjusted our policies with partners.

And adults? My best friend's wife was stalked because of her membership in a Toyota 4X4 club. Their house was broken into, notes left on the door and emails that stated that this person was following her around; scary stuff and the guy is serving 3 years now.

Sorry for the long post but please, for the love of god, obscure the identities of your significant others and children. We know that they are beautiful and having a great time (they are behind a MC after all). We just need to be mindful that whack-jobs may be looking in as small as the possibility may be. This is a cool online community and we share a lot of things. Just please be safe and mindful that it is not so much who is posting but who may be observing as we talk about where we ski, who we ski with and what we are doing on a regular basis.

If you would like more info, don't hesitate to send me a message with your questions as I am privy certified in the US and Canada.

Hemey5
06-29-2006, 08:00 AM
WOW !!, Not cool.

jimmer2880
06-29-2006, 08:37 PM
That will sure make you think.

Thank you.

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Fletch, thanks for the info. Definitely making me think.

PendO
06-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Fletch, thanks for the info. Definitely making me think.

yeah, just dropped one in the chamber.

RexDog1
06-30-2006, 03:15 PM
yeah, just dropped one in the chamber.

Only one????? :noface:

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Only one????? :noface:

Only room for one in the chamber ;)

Now the magazine.......should be loaded!!

east tx skier
06-30-2006, 03:24 PM

Loaded (and the clip is pre-ban). http://www.castlecops.com/modules/Forums/images/smiles/kill.gif Did a little photohousekeeping this morning with regard to pics of the little one. Love to show him off, but it's just not worth it (have you guys ever looked at the "Who's Online" section and counted the unregistered guests)?

RexDog1
06-30-2006, 03:25 PM

You know….. You are right, hummmm
I like your way

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 03:27 PM
40 members and 48 "guests" right now........... hmmmmmmmm...... :(

Granite_33
06-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I have never wanted to be antisocial on this site, but pics of me, my boat and where I ski is where I cut it........maybe one of the wife if she ever lets me :D I have avoided posting pics of the kids, etc because you never know where the pics could end up... :mad:

As for the predators out there lurking........If I ever catch one of them, I am going to use a cardiac needle to stab them in the chest cavity, fill them up with air, and use their worthless body for a float to set my beer on at the lake............ :shocked:

east tx skier
06-30-2006, 03:38 PM
As for the predators out there lurking........If I ever catch one of them, I am going to use a cardiac needle to stab them in the chest cavity, fill them up with air, and use their worthless body for a float to set my beer on at the lake............ :shocked:

Save the head. We can fill it with margaritas!

Granite_33
06-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Save the head. We can fill it with margaritas!

I'll note that!!! :D

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 03:47 PM
I have never wanted to be antisocial on this site, but pics of me, my boat and where I ski is where I cut it........maybe one of the wife if she ever lets me :D I have avoided posting pics of the kids, etc because you never know where the pics could end up... :mad:

Wow!! Thanks for the graphical display!! :eek:

Granite_33
06-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Wow!! Thanks for the graphical display!! :eek:

JR, Nothing more than a fair warning to anyone driving by in an MC :D , I wouldn't want them ruining thier props if they were to accidentally run over the pasty white lump.

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 03:54 PM
JR, Nothing more than a fair warning to anyone driving by in an MC :D , I wouldn't want them ruining thier props if they were to accidentally run over the pasty white lump.

haha!! Have a good holiday weekend Granite! :wavey:

Granite_33
06-30-2006, 04:29 PM
haha!! Have a good holiday weekend Granite! :wavey:

Cheers, same to you JR!! :toast:

Leroy
06-30-2006, 05:25 PM
For our soccer club we have the same policy, no kids pictures along with names but it it difficult to monitor. Team wins tournament and then picture and names go in paper, or for college recruiting many teams have web sites with pictures, profiles and contact info.

They need to really crack down on these on line creeps.

Farmer Ted
06-30-2006, 05:33 PM
The Shreveport police just did a sting operation posing as 13-15 year old boys and nabbed 6 or 8 dudes including the ClearChannel News man.

I think they used Myspace as their portal, parents really need to take an active role monitory their childrens computer useage.

east tx skier
06-30-2006, 05:35 PM
I've got a friend with two daughters that keeps the computer in the kitchen for this very reason.

Leroy
06-30-2006, 05:36 PM
I signed up for a myspace site and have been amazed at what goes on. If you kids are on there they better know the rules clearly.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-30-2006, 06:03 PM
40 members and 48 "guests" right now........... hmmmmmmmm...... :(
Down to 31 after this was posted.....:confused:

Speaking of which, what was going on October 8th 2004?

PendO
06-30-2006, 08:35 PM

Exactly ...

unfortunately I cleaned up my pics too, actually, my wife had info posted on www.classmates.com and I had her pull it off when I explained how easy it was to get information a few weeks ago ...

east tx skier
07-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Down to 31 after this was posted.....:confused:

Speaking of which, what was going on October 8th 2004?

Probably drones hunting the page for email addresses all at once. Well, drones isn't exactly the right word, but the former TTAdmin explained the "most people online" number that way. I'm guessing that's what you're talking about.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Probably drones hunting the page for email addresses all at once. Well, drones isn't exactly the right word, but the former TTAdmin explained the "most people online" number that way. I'm guessing that's what you're talking about.Yes, 276 of whatever they were. I don't think I've seen it over 100 "combined"....

fletch_n_me
07-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Folks, this is great to see that people are talking about these sad issues because t raises awareness. I agree with all of you and, believe me, there is not a jury outside of Berkley that would convict any of you. We had a case in CO a few years ago where a man shot someone (on the courthouse steps) convicted of raping his 6 year old son and was convicted of unlawful transportation of a weapon and sentenced to time-served (applauded as he left custody).

Man, it is a sad state of affairs that we have to be worried about our kids, siblings, nieces and nephews in this regard. While I wish there were an instant death penalty for this, those stings catch a dozen sick f*@ks at a time and e-crimes are not always easy to prove.

Is it only me that remembers when we all just looked out for each other and each other's kids? Well, I think its long overdue and we need to give each other a hand in this day and age.

I just emplore all of you to just keep tabs on the pics and info that we have up here. You can always email those to folks you have known for a long time and share that way. While its a shame that we have to censor our fun and passions like this, there is not a person among us that would forgive themselves if anything were to happen to a child because of it.

Guys, I hope that I have helped some of you out regarding just how real this threat is. While it's a shame that we have to take such precautions, it's just very important that we look after our own.

Happy 4th everyone, -Jason & Fletch

fletch_n_me
07-04-2006, 01:23 AM
By the way, if you are looking for a great security system...you can't beat these.

erkoehler
07-04-2006, 09:56 AM
backing away slowly.... :eek: