PDA

View Full Version : Water up the nose.....HELP

richardsoncd
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I know there was recently a thread about sinus problems. I took a few really good falls early this season, now everytime I ski I get a horrible sinus infection for 24-48 hours. I have tried nasal sprays, allergy pills, decongestant pills, what can I do to stop this. My next option is shoving nose plugs in.....but I don't need to give anyone any more reason to laugh at me. HELP ME PLEASE..........there has to be a Dr. on this board somewhere.

betsy&david Harrison
06-28-2006, 12:43 PM
I know there was recently a thread about sinus problems. I took a few really good falls early this season, now everytime I ski I get a horrible sinus infection for 24-48 hours. I have tried nasal sprays, allergy pills, decongestant pills, what can I do to stop this. My next option is shoving nose plugs in.....but I don't need to give anyone any more reason to laugh at me. HELP ME PLEASE..........there has to be a Dr. on this board somewhere.
I know some people that put tape across their nasal openings everytime they ski so they don't get sinus douched. The other option is to get some advice on the proper ski technique so that you don't go out the front anymore :) B

bigmac
06-28-2006, 12:47 PM

You probably have a chronic sinus infection. Sounds like a course of antibiotics may be in order.

richardsoncd
06-28-2006, 01:27 PM
I know some people that put tape across their nasal openings everytime they ski so they don't get sinus douched. The other option is to get some advice on the proper ski technique so that you don't go out the front anymore :) B

Ouch.......no falls last three times out, still have the sinus problems, never gonna get any better if I don't push it, if I push it....sometimes I fall. :D , the major falls actually came from messing around with a back roll on a wakeboard. I think I might go see a Doc.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Man, all I can think of is to plug your nose..... :twocents:

gr8smiles
06-28-2006, 02:11 PM
As a hydrofoiler, I tend to fall upside down a lot....I have struggled with this as well. I have used clips like swimmers use, but the unmitigated sh*t that I get from the teens is not worth it.

One of the guys I foil with uses 'clear surgical tape' and places it so that it covers the nostrils.

I am going tp try that this weekend.

06-28-2006, 02:18 PM
As a hydrofoiler, I tend to fall upside down a lot....I have struggled with this as well. I have used clips like swimmers use, but the unmitigated sh*t that I get from the teens is not worth it.

One of the guys I foil with uses 'clear surgical tape' and places it so that it covers the nostrils.

I am going tp try that this weekend.
That sounds like a pretty decent solution to me. probably sticks pretty well too.

ski_king
06-28-2006, 02:28 PM
I used to have that problem when I barefooted. Not sure if it was my technique or my weird sinus. I would have lake/river water draining for days. My sinus has never been right since, but I loved footin, so it was worth it.

Leroy
06-28-2006, 02:36 PM
It could be coming in your ears also.

Naselnex, breathe hot salt water vapors or get antibiotic treatment. I've been doing ok this year with Naselnex.

wakebroad
06-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Y'all are hearin' from the "sinus queen" right here....
I have had so many sinus issues and especially when I first started wakeboarding. We use Eucalyptus at my gym in the steam room so I decided to get my own. I get mine at the grocery store; it's a tiny bottle and lasts a long time. Just put some water in the microwave and put a couple of drops Eucalyptus in. Put your face into the bowl and breathe in through the nose. It always works for me. Clears it right up after doing it a couple of days in a row. Also great for the skin. Tea Tree also works well. I haven't had antibiotics in 2 years since doing this. (sorry this is long)

betsy&david Harrison
06-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Tea Tree oil is great stuff for soooo many things. Last year we had a kid burn the bottom of his feet on the hot pavement and we rubbed his feet with Melaleuca's T-36 oil. Worked like a charm. I take vitamins with the stuff in it.

dapicatti
06-30-2006, 02:31 PM
My wife had chronic sinus infections for years- antibiotics would clear it up and then boom another infection. The only thing that cured it was a mixture of 2 cups warm water, 1/8 tsp of salt and 1/8tsp of baking soda, squirted up the nose and out the mouth daily....its really gross but it works. You have to get a baby nasal aspirator to do the squirting. Her MD recommended this, and after about 3 months she was cured.

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 02:34 PM
sinus douched. B

Haha!!! you said douche'!!!!! :uglyhamme

Granite_33
06-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Admittedly this looks pretty sinister......

Neti Pot......used for cleansing sinus cavities.

atlfootr
06-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Don't know about the above device, but do know that waterproof medicine tape works GREAT!

M-Funf
06-30-2006, 05:40 PM
I've had this happen to me on a few occasions, but it hasn't become chronic like it has for you. I don't take any measures to prevent it from happening...probably just not skiing hard enough :rolleyes:

I think bigmac might be right, antibiotics may be in your future...

06-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Dude, did you see a doctor for your sinuses yet? whats up with them? :confused:

Laurel_Lake_Skier
06-30-2006, 09:43 PM
That sounds like a pretty decent solution to me. probably sticks pretty well too.

The tape has worked wonders for me. I would suffer for days after deepwaters and now have no problems when I use the tape. I've found the 3M brand to be the best but you need to be careful peeling it off.....I've pulled skin off my nose it sticks so well. :eek:

06-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Haha!!! you said douche'!!!!! :uglyhamme
can you say that on the internet? 8p ;) :D

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 10:27 PM
can you say that on the internet? 8p

I already did!!! :eek: :D