PDA

View Full Version : Tower moving on 197 and other questions?

excetara2
06-28-2006, 11:24 AM
The tower moves not usually front to back but has a lot of lateral movement when pulling somebody or when hitting a big wave. The tower will jump back and forth. It did this so we tightened it down and still does it but maybe not as bad. I am assuming this is normal but just wanted to check. Also what do you guys do to pull tubers. We have the two eye rungs on the back. I haven't got a Pylon yet. I was wondering if there is a way I can get an eye in the middle of the back. Or another good way to pull tubers? Thanks a lot.

RobertT
06-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Zero Flex is a, shall we say, marketing term more than a description. Great tower, I love mine, but you will get some lateral flex left to right. It bugged me a little at first, but now I just dont care. It does not affect performance.

As far as pulling tubes, most here will say it should never be done, but we all know it does happen.

I asked my dealer, and other about this. The pylon, I was told, is clearly the strongest pulling point. I was afraid that I may damage my boat if I pulled a giant tube from the tower. I don't really worry about it now, but would like to hear input from those that know. It very well may be frowned on, perhaps because from the high pull point the potential for huge air is higher. Who knows.

The problem with pulling a tube from the tower or pylon is that because its in the center of the boat, its much more difficult to get the "whip" effect. The turns have to be much more exaggerated to make it happen.

The ideal situation is to have a place on the back of the boat to pull from, as high as possible. The two tiedown/lift Ubolts on the stern are great, but too low. The rope gets caught in the water and cannot turn.

The stern grab handle/ski eye would be perfect. You can get them aftermarket, I believe MYMCs shop has them on their site (even with LED lights in them if you want).

I would like to know though, from a structural standpoint is it better to pull a fat chick on a tube from the tower or the aftermarket stern handle/ski eye? Or, are they both so strong it really does not matter? I know, you should never pull a tube at all and exspecially with a fat chick on it....but lets just say "if" you had to whats the best place?

MYMC
06-28-2006, 12:14 PM
The tower moves not usually front to back but has a lot of lateral movement when pulling somebody or when hitting a big wave. The tower will jump back and forth. It did this so we tightened it down and still does it but maybe not as bad. I am assuming this is normal but just wanted to check. Also what do you guys do to pull tubers. We have the two eye rungs on the back. I haven't got a Pylon yet. I was wondering if there is a way I can get an eye in the middle of the back. Or another good way to pull tubers? Thanks a lot.
The engineering team at MasterCraft has taken a close look at this and found that most (if not all) the lateral movement is not the fault of the tower but the fiberglass flexing that it is mounted to. The important direction for resistance to movement or flex is aft since that is where the load is most frequently generated...and the Zero-Flex tower does a great job of resisting that (as does the boat). Remember when you see the top of the tower moving it is multiplied by the length of the leg...so a small amount of gunnel flex leads to a perceived large amount of movement in the tower.

RobertT
06-28-2006, 12:28 PM
That makes sense. I actually wish that it was tower flex, rather than my hull flexing slightly. I would guess that only 1/16th of an inch of flex might be 1" or more at the tow point.

I have zero stress cracks at my tower mounting locations. Is that normal?

MYMC, in your opinion, would you rather see a tube pulled from the tower or the ski eye on the rear grab handle? I ask only because if it is much safer to pull from there I think I will buy one, and will certainly buy my next boat with one.

excetara2
06-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Where can you get this pull eye or grab handle? I would gladly purchase one. Is there any online sites where I could buy one and install the pull eye myself. That is what we used on our old boat for tubers and worked great. Thanks for the help so far. I guess the little movement is normal. Our tower is tightened down super tight. Wouldn't want to tighten anymore.

rodltg2
06-28-2006, 01:39 PM
what do you mean you dont have a pylon yet?

RobertT
06-28-2006, 02:11 PM
what do you mean you dont have a pylon yet?

good question.

http://mymastercraft.com/product_details.cfm?caller=PARTS&item_id=959&product=88520201.05&product_type=EXTERIOR&company=MasterCraft&sub_product=All

There is the LED model, they also have it without the lights for less money obviously.

MYMC
06-28-2006, 06:09 PM
That makes sense. I actually wish that it was tower flex, rather than my hull flexing slightly. I would guess that only 1/16th of an inch of flex might be 1" or more at the tow point.

I have zero stress cracks at my tower mounting locations. Is that normal?

MYMC, in your opinion, would you rather see a tube pulled from the tower or the ski eye on the rear grab handle? I ask only because if it is much safer to pull from there I think I will buy one, and will certainly buy my next boat with one.
I pull my son and his friends from tower (mini-tower on my 197). If a tower can pull multiple barefooters I see no reason why it can't handle a tube. Zero stress cracks is what we shoot for...so I would call is "normal".

rodltg2
06-28-2006, 06:15 PM
i bet if you pull the kite tube from the tower , your in for a ride!

tex
06-28-2006, 06:28 PM
If I feel that a tube is pulling my tower harder than I'm pulling it riding my wakeboard...I'd look at going to a wakeboard school.

MYMC
06-28-2006, 06:35 PM
If I feel that a tube is pulling my tower harder than I'm pulling it riding my wakeboard...I'd look at going to a wakeboard school.
And the challenge is thrown down!

RobertT
06-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Cool, thats good to know.

Still, I have seen more than one tube rope break from stress. Not from my boat, but some wallys tend to turn around to pick up the victim and the tube gets submerged. Basically a huge anchor, and when they take off the rope breaks.

I have never heard nor seen a rope break from pulling a skier, barefooter, or any other "real" behind the boat sport.

I do think that skiing puts more stress laterally when you cut out, but shear force goes to the tube if it gets submerged for any reason...which happens.

See you guys....on my way to Florida!!!!

excetara2
06-29-2006, 11:10 AM
I also believe bigger tubes with multiple people put a lot more stress on the tower. Anyone know how to install a tow eye on a Mastercraft. Can it be any tow eye or would you recommend getting it from them?

tex
06-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I wish I had 5 bucks for every broken rope. I would put a deposit down on one of those new 209's!

PendO
06-29-2006, 11:47 AM
I wish I had 5 bucks for every broken rope. I would put a deposit down on one of those new 209's!

man, I have never seen a rope break pulling a tuber, skier, wakeboarder ... but I have had to use an exacto knife to cut a couple off the shaft;)

erkoehler
06-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Broken ropes are a common experience....especially around show skiers.

MYMC
06-29-2006, 12:29 PM
I also believe bigger tubes with multiple people put a lot more stress on the tower. Anyone know how to install a tow eye on a Mastercraft. Can it be any tow eye or would you recommend getting it from them?
I would reccomend getting the factory tested pieces and I would get them from me (www.mymastercraft.com) :rolleyes: