PDA

View Full Version : fuel issues

madison
06-27-2006, 07:00 PM
ok the boat was doing its surging (acting like its running out of fuel) so I thought i would pull the fuel water seperator .. (its a racor) I turned the bolt on the top and dropped the bowl.. dumped it out and there was some nasty stuff that came out!! I tried to pull the filter out but it wont budge, in fact the top of the filter tore! I also removed the two other bolts on the bottom of the bowl thinking that would release the filter...
question .. should I just rip the old filter out ? or is there some secret method to getting it out?? ( its been in there for years)

351w indmar
recently got it working after sitting for 5 yrs..

thanks

JohnnyB
06-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Are you speaking of the oil filter looking fuel/water separator or the fuel filter at the bottom of the fuel pump?

madison
06-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Are you speaking of the oil filter looking fuel/water separator or the fuel filter at the bottom of the fuel pump?

its before the fuel pump.. its a brass seperator with an element inside of it.. its made by RACOR

its appears to have a paper element inside.. now that I tore the top off of it I guess I should tear the rest out.

thanks

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 10:25 PM
If it's the one with the paper element in it, it should have a little plastic sling secured to the bottom by a screw. Just unscrew the bottom and move the sling to the side. Element slides out. NAPA Part number is in the FAQ thread.

madison
06-27-2006, 10:51 PM
If it's the one with the paper element in it, it should have a little plastic sling secured to the bottom by a screw. Just unscrew the bottom and move the sling to the side. Element slides out. NAPA Part number is in the FAQ thread.

its not the filter under the fuel pump.. its a seperate water/fuel seperator .. its mounted along the rail that the engine mounts are on.. its located below the alternator on the drivers side of the boat..

LakePirate
06-27-2006, 11:29 PM
There is a trick to this, but I can't remember it right now....
Is there a bolt that comes up from the bottom of the element?

This is what it looks like removed (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RACR11T)

This is a top down photo

madison
06-28-2006, 07:57 AM
There is a trick to this, but I can't remember it right now....
Is there a bolt that comes up from the bottom of the element?

This is what it looks like removed (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RACR11T)

This is a top down photo

yes thats the one! I already ordered a new one..just have to figure out how to get the old one out.. there is a bolt at the bottom, actually there are two. I removed both and the filter still wont budge.

east tx skier
06-28-2006, 10:17 AM
its not the filter under the fuel pump.. its a seperate water/fuel seperator .. its mounted along the rail that the engine mounts are on.. its located below the alternator on the drivers side of the boat..

Not familiar with that one. I have two fuel filters---the element style pictured above, and a spin-on fuel water separator. Both are located on the port side of the bilge.

Hoff1
06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
I changed my water separater filter last fall. Hadn't changed it is 2 years and it didn't want to come out. Think I basically had to destroy the old one to get it out. Not a simple process. I've thought about converting to the spin on kind. They sell them at Walmart for about $20. Looks like it would be a simple swap, but I don't know what I don't know.

madison
06-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Good news..I went ahead and ripped the element out with plyers. wasnt so bad.. just waiting on the replacement from skidim