PDA

View Full Version : my buddy did a number on my boat

rodltg2
06-27-2006, 05:35 PM
how it got to this point ill mention later, but the result was a scratch on the hull.
it not too bad since its in the white portion of the boat and low,but enough to bother me. what would be the best process to get this out. its about 18" long.. kind of deep tooo
what products and procedures would help me alot... i suck at waxing so the more help from you guys i get the better..

thanks....

Ric
06-27-2006, 05:40 PM
It's hard to hold back the bu jokes right now but I will refrain.

how deep is kind of deep?
thru the white? into the fiberglass? above or below waterline?

bcampbe7
06-27-2006, 05:46 PM

That was my question...
Deep as in taking on water deep? :eek3:
Or deep as in just through the gel but really pi$$es me off deep? :rant:

rodltg2
06-27-2006, 05:50 PM
its above the water line, somewhat resembles what would happen if it got keyed....

i guess ill share what happened.. we were tieing up the boat to the houseboat to tow back at the end of the day. i was driving the houseboat and he was in the boat.. well the tow line came undone while he was approaching the houseboat and he ran it it over.. so we towed the boat back to the marina , but had no power to dock it. i had to park the houseboat and i made him swim the boat to the dock. he must have doen a poor job... :mad:

Jim@BAWS
06-27-2006, 06:15 PM
I Won't HOLD BACK..."Restaint Young Sky Walker restraint"

Ah what the hell. Use some lake mud. Let it dry. Probably worth more damaged than new :)

It's hard to hold back the bu jokes right now but I will refrain.

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Rod, can you see any color in the scratch other than white? If not, you could probably get it out by wet sanding. My dealer made what I considered a pretty nasty scratch in the red portion of my gelcoat right in front of the decal completely disappear.

Worst case scenario, if that doesn't work, you'll know you need to get it resprayed, which was the case already.

rodltg2
06-27-2006, 06:23 PM
thanks jim , i knew you'd be along shorlty since i saw you were online...

so how.s this wetsand process go? what do i need to buy? do?

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Rod, check out this thread.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8510&highlight=sand

rspiecha
06-27-2006, 06:28 PM
I had some very deep scratches in the front of the boat, along the keel created by the metal sides of the front roller on the trailer. You could even see the red fiberglass weave at the bottom of the scratches. Took it to a fiberglass repair shop, and now you can't tell it every happened. Cost $200, my sense of well being Pricele$$......

Rob

Leroy
06-27-2006, 06:29 PM
ROd;

Don't you do something like this in your granite shop?

Hey I have a question, our dishwasher has two tabs where you would normally screw into the countertop to hold the dishwasher in. WIth granite or quartz (whichever we have) you cannot drill and put in those screws, looks like the people before tried to glue it, but it broke loose.
What do you use to hold dishwashers in place with granite tops?

Thanks!

rodltg2
06-27-2006, 06:39 PM
yes we polish granite with diamond pads starting at a 50grit to a 3000grit..

your granite should have been set onto a 5/8 plywood subdeck that you would screw the dishwasher tabs into.. sometimes if your stone is 3cm thick vs. 2cm, they will set the counter without the subdeck( not smart). in that case glue ora 2part epoxy may work....

so just regular san paper? no special brand or type? this is scary i hope i dont make it worse..

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 06:45 PM
I always figured it was that automotive grade sandpaper. Notice, I said I let me dealer do it. Ran me about $40. They got excited and did some scratches I didn't even know about no charge after they got rid of that one.

Ric
06-27-2006, 06:46 PM
wetordry sandpaper. 3m is fine
keep it wet
use a block
go for it!

rodltg2
06-27-2006, 06:47 PM
i rather let someone else give it a go but, i dont want to wait or be out of a boat since i use it alot...i should just wait till winter but the scratch is pretty ugly to see..

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 06:59 PM
On stuff like this, a dealer or glass guy can usually squeeze you in if you're nice about it. Depending on the size of the scratch, shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.

rodltg2
06-27-2006, 07:03 PM
i think im going to give ity a go on a transom spot under the deck to see if i can handle the chore. it works out i will go for it... otherwise i will try my dealer. i really hate to go back to that servcie center though....

sjk
06-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Rod, you can use my orbital sander anytime, I also have various grade polishing compounds you can use.

mitch
06-27-2006, 07:23 PM
This has got 'off topic' written all over it.

General discussion:
General discussion of MasterCraft boats and anything that relates to them

jmyers
06-27-2006, 07:25 PM
This has got 'off topic' written all over it.

General discussion:
General discussion of MasterCraft boats and anything that relates to them
And a BU friend from Granite Bay? Rod, who did you put up to that? :rolleyes:

Cloaked
06-27-2006, 07:27 PM
...how it got to this point ill mention later, but ... i suck

thanks....rod, a small scratch gives the boat a bit of character. Don't sweat the small stuff and keep a good friend. Don't hurt his feelings over a small thAng...... :twocents: :)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-27-2006, 08:03 PM
rod, a small scratch gives the boat a bit of character. Don't sweat the small stuff and keep a good friend. Don't hurt his feelings over a small thAng......
Wise words Sporty, wise words. :toast: :wavey: I have some friends that have been friends for life. bout 4 of us have stuck together since childhood. we are in our mid 30s now. I value them so much. And they are my main boat drivers/skiers. They respect my boat, are very careful of their surroundings, etc... but they spill beer in it, and leave thier empties all over he11. maybe put a nick or scratch in it here or there. I dont ***** one word. Its not intentional just accidents. but They are ALWAYS there when I need them. Without them, I wouldnt be able to ski like I do. We have so much fun out there on the water that I dont let a spilled beer or some snuff grains get me wound up. Nothing that a little vacuuming and or shampooing cant fix. They help me take the boat out of storage, help me winterize it, rewire the trailer, repacked my wheel bearings, and more things that I cant think of. We have been friends for life, and will be friends for life. When I am old and grey, do you think I will remember how many beers they spilled in my boat? or how many good times we all had? I would rather go through life with a some great friends and some scratches in my boat. :twocents:

I have another friend who is totally anal retentive about his 1979 tank of a boat. I skied by him and sprayed his boat with my ski, and he flipped out and started cleaning the windows with windex and towels IMMEDIATLEY!!! just because there was water on it and it would leave spots. I cant deal with that. thats taking it too far. I cant relax around people like that. I mean you got 27 yr old boat that is far from mint, and your gonna get wacky about WATER sprayed on the windows?? puleeeeeez! :rolleyes: my boating will be limited with him.

LakePirate
06-28-2006, 12:38 AM
They have snuff in the UP?

Leroy
06-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Wise words UMP and Sporty!

sand2snow22
06-28-2006, 04:44 AM
Rod, you got damaged goods. Trade it in. Buy a MC and charge your buddy the difference. IMO I would wait and have the dealer do it if they are too busy right now. I just had a similar experience, except I ended up with 3 nice scratches on the port side and a sweet rub mark from another boat rubbing on the port side. It's a long story, but it was taken care of for $112 at the dealer. My friend paid for it. I've tried wet sanding before and it never comes out as nice as the pros.

Maristar210
06-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Rod,

Jim said he'd fix it for free, right Jim? :firejump:

rodltg2
06-28-2006, 10:06 AM
really jim! thanks !!!!

BrianM
06-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Rod just follow my directions in the thread that Doug linked to. It is really pretty easy. Just keep the paper wet and sand with the 600 until it disappears then finish up with the other paper and compound to remove the light scratches. If you notice a black spot STOP. You have gone through the gel. In that case the scratch was to deep and you will need to have the spot resprayed.

I just sanded out about four really nasty looking scratches on the transom of a bu sportster and it looks perfect so I know my methods work on an inferior product ;) Sorry just had to add the jab for the peanut gallery.

Ric
06-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Rod,

when jim fixes it, Rod will be able to do dips from the windshield

east tx skier
06-28-2006, 11:06 AM
when jim fixes it, Rod will be able to do dips from the windshield

I've said it before, but the unquestionable integrity of the windshield frame must be a more recent feature. I try not to put too much pressure on mine. :o

Jim@BAWS
06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
YES, I will fix it for FREE. You drive it down here, schedule an appointment, I think something is available in Late Dec,wait 2 weeks
for the repair. It won't cost you a single dime or penny or what
ever form of money you guys use. Euros what ever

And when it is done I well fly ERIC down to sell you a boat
and we can all be friends like before.

Isn't boat sales nice ?

Jim@BAWS

Rod,

east tx skier
06-28-2006, 12:31 PM
YES, I will fix it for FREE. You drive it down here, schedule an appointment, I think something is available in Late Dec,wait 2 weeks
for the repair. It won't cost you a single dime or penny or what
ever form of money you guys use. Euros what ever

And when it is done I well fly ERIC down to sell you a boat
and we can all be friends like before.

Isn't boat sales nice ?

Jim@BAWS

Rod, if I were you, I'd be clearing my schedule to make that drive just because. Bring cameras and video.

:popcorn:

stevo137
06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Rod, can you see any color in the scratch other than white? If not, you could probably get it out by wet sanding. My dealer made what I considered a pretty nasty scratch in the red portion of my gelcoat right in front of the decal completely disappear.

That is if the Bu has the same quality and thickness of gelcoat that a MC has. ;)

sjk
06-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Nope, just another MC owner lookin' to help my ski partner out.

rodltg2
06-28-2006, 01:42 PM
maybe i will, december is too chilly to ski here... :)

rodltg2
06-28-2006, 03:38 PM
So is the 3M compound and wax my best bet? or are there other good ones to try ?

BrianM
06-28-2006, 05:16 PM
So is the 3M compound and wax my best bet? or are there other good ones to try ?

I had great results with the 3M so if it were me I would stay with that.

rodltg2
06-28-2006, 05:23 PM
thanks brian, i bought the 3m stuff. can i try it on my car first?

rodltg2
07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
funny thing.............. :o

turns out my buddy didnt put the scratch in my boat after all..
as i was unloading my boat off the trailer, i realized that my trailer guide pole is missing the cap. someone on the dock was watching me unload a said that i almost scracthed my boat on it. ( steep ramp). so after looking at the location of the scratch , i realized i must have did it ....

luckliy i never blamed him for it....

Ric
07-05-2006, 12:49 PM
so all trailers are a let-down....