PDA

View Full Version : Trading in a boat

richardsoncd
06-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Do boat dealers take boats in on trade for used boats or just new, if at all? Has anyone ever done this, if so....was the trade a fair deal? I was recently contacted by the local BU dealer, who I know personally and he obvously wants me to switch companies, but it made me think will MC give me a good deal on a trade the way he will to get into a newer model, better performing boat?

Thank yall.

86Craft
06-27-2006, 01:09 PM
MC will not do a thing. They would hope their dealers would work something out with you. Your question my be loaded a little. A "friend" will almost always beat anybody.

richardsoncd
06-27-2006, 01:13 PM
MC will not do a thing. They would hope their dealers would work something out with you. Your question my be loaded a little. A "friend" will almost always beat anybody.

I may have mislead my intentions: the question is not directed directly at Mastercraft, I am going to stay with Mastercraft...just curious if MC dealers take trades on used boats or if my buddy is making an acception. The last dealer I worked with said they would sell it for me but that was it. I would never play the leverage card......the real question is about the trade. My bad.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Consignment as I have heard.

G-man
06-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Do business with the dealer that will provide the best after the sale service. The best built boat, whatever one you think this is, isn't worth a thing if you can't get it serviced.

PendO
06-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Do boat dealers take boats in on trade for used boats or just new, if at all? Has anyone ever done this, if so....was the trade a fair deal? I was recently contacted by the local BU dealer, who I know personally and he obvously wants me to switch companies, but it made me think will MC give me a good deal on a trade the way he will to get into a newer model, better performing boat?

Thank yall.

we once traded a used 87 in on a used 98 ... probably depends on the dealer ... consignment can be a bit safer for the dealer, but can also hold up a sale if you need/want the boat sold b4 you get a new one.

86Craft
06-27-2006, 01:26 PM
My bad.

NO, NO...My wife :love: has told me many times that it is always my fault!

erkoehler
06-27-2006, 01:27 PM
We will take a trade-in on a used boat.

WTRSK1R
06-27-2006, 01:31 PM
I traded my 1992 205 in on my new 197. Basically got NADA value. The boat was in awesome shape, and I could probably have sold it for about $4K more then the trade in value. :(

But..... the deal was simple, and when you trade in a boat, you only pay sales tax on the new boat price minus the trade in, so I saved about $500 on sales tax. :)

More importantly, my wife did not want to own 2 boats so it would have been a deal breaker if I had to do consignment or I would have been boatless while I tried to find the right replacement. I decided it was easier to just do the trade in. :rolleyes:

I talked to other dealers, and was told that they will only do a trade in with a boat that was less then 5 years old. However, I think if they really want to sell a new boat, that may have some flexibility too.

ntidsl
06-27-2006, 01:34 PM
exactly...trade ins are quicker and easier but if you have a few weeks try listing it first and see if you get any offers...if not trade it in and save tax money...

have fun...

if you are looking for a new boat though i have a 197 tt 2005 with 140 hours...perfect shape...ready to go...

kycat2007
06-27-2006, 01:37 PM
I think that the trade values that the dealers give are usually pretty far down on the wholesale pricing. You will make more money if you sell it yourself. The dealers have to make a profit on used boats. They do not know what it may cost to get the used one sold. On a older boat like in the 80's usually they will give you like 2-3 thousand and we know the boats will sell for around 7-12 thousand. If you do consignment you will pay them maybe $500-1000 and you will be able to apply the extra money to the newer boat.

SKI*MC
06-27-2006, 01:42 PM
A couple years ago, my dad almost traded the 83 for an X-7. They were going to give us 8 for the boat, which isn't bad at all, considering that the boat was about 14 new.

ntidsl
06-27-2006, 01:44 PM
damn...that was a deal...but what a cool boat to have though...i would have kept the 83...well maybe not...the 197 and x7 hull is awesome...

but the 83 on the other hand...easy to work on, no computers...hmmm...

SKI*MC
06-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Yeah is was really desent, and that was still before i was friends with everyone at the MC dealer.

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 01:54 PM

Thank yall.

I traded a 92 Ski Deck deckboat for my 93 PS 205. Got a lot more than I expected to get for the deckboat. So yes. Some MC dealers will take trade ins if you're buying a used boat.

BrianM
06-27-2006, 02:12 PM
I traded my '88 Prostar in on my '97. My dealer (BAWS) really stepped up to the pump on the trade and the new (to me) boat. I guess your answer is that it depends on the dealer.

Danimal
06-27-2006, 04:19 PM

Hey Erk - You might want to have Chicago MasterCraft update the used boat inventory - My friend bought this boat 3 weeks ago

http://www.chicagomastercraft.com/inventory_detail.asp?formname=new&from=search&currdiid=544017&tab=&site_type=template&navigate=true&searchtype=AN&isIFRAME=false&reqStyle=&Site_cid=&Lead_source=

erkoehler
06-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Hey Erk - You might want to have Chicago MasterCraft update the used boat inventory - My friend bought this boat 3 weeks ago

http://www.chicagomastercraft.com/inventory_detail.asp?formname=new&from=search&currdiid=544017&tab=&site_type=template&navigate=true&searchtype=AN&isIFRAME=false&reqStyle=&Site_cid=&Lead_source=

I am updating the whole site tomorrow morning....how's the boat running for him?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Look who crawled out of the woodwork :D Mr. wannabuyaboat 8p

Danimal
06-27-2006, 05:08 PM
I am updating the whole site tomorrow morning....how's the boat running for him?

Running good I guess - I was wakeboarding (trying to wakeboard) with Jeremy and Jennifer a couple weeks ago and blew out my cartlige again. Went to the doctor and she said there is nothing left to fix after my last injury. Ahhhhh - the joys of getting old!! :cool: