PDA

View Full Version : What glue works on fiberglass?

DanC
06-27-2006, 11:27 AM
What glue do you use to mount things to the inside fiberglass (no gelcoat).

I'm not talking about mounting LEDs or the like. I'm talking about something that can take a little load. For instance, you want to clean up some wiring and want to glue a cable tie mount under the dash. Or you want to attach some velco to the fiberglass.

I have tried silicone, caulk, epoxies.....

So far the Gorilla glue lasted the longest.

Anybody with a secret to share?

Workin' 4 Toys
06-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Polyester Resin. 2 part mix. Check with a local hobby shop for availability.

DanC
06-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Anybody with a secret to share?

I guess it will remain top secret (except for WFT) :rolleyes: .

It is a sad indictment of this site when personal/public jousting here outposts the teenage laden wakeboard site and I get more help at the wakeboard site on a technical question. :cool:

Hey JimN, any suggestions? :wavey:

jraben8
06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Have you tried the 3M stuff called 5200?

Workin' 4 Toys
06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
I guess it will remain top secret (except for WFT) :rolleyes: .

It is a sad indictment of this site when personal/public jousting here outposts the teenage laden wakeboard site and I get more help at the wakeboard site on a technical question. :cool:

Hey JimN, any suggestions? :wavey:
You haven't tried the resin have you? Is this perhaps the reason for the low number of responses. Because there is nothing better?
Try it. If you need immediate stick, use superglue with a kicker for immediate hold.

Hoff1
06-28-2006, 10:32 AM
I've used JB Weld with some success. Better make sure you want it there for a while though. Clean up the surface by sanding it if needed and wiped with acetone prior to apply the goop.

DanC
06-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Tried 5200, holds pretty well to finished vertical surfaces, didn't work to well on upside down horizontal unfinished fiberglass surfaces.
Super glue is worthless
WFT, I don't have a hobby store near by. Does it go by any other name?
I got some good answers from another site. Liquid nails seemed to be a winner but only for the old formula. No ideas on where to get the old formula though.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Resin kit (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFFC1&P=7)
This is just one of dozens of brands.

DanC
06-28-2006, 10:49 AM
I've used JB Weld with some success. Better make sure you want it there for a while though. Clean up the surface by sanding it if needed and wiped with acetone prior to apply the goop.

Thanks Hoff, I like JB Weld, tried it and it lasted for a while before it gave away. I didn't prep with acetone. Maybe I should try that. Kind of tough to get at some of the spots though.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Cyanoacrylate kicker (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCX61&P=7)

Cyanoacrylate Glue (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPT40&P=7)

Workin' 4 Toys
06-28-2006, 10:55 AM
I should note, I have no idea what weight you are talking about. But if it is a significant amount, you will need to use a fiberglass matting with the resin.
Do you have a picture of what you are trying to attach, and to what?

Hoff1
06-28-2006, 10:58 AM
I forgot that I went to a training class last year held by Loctite, something like Advanced Adhesive Technology. I asked their application engineer what was the best thing to hold to fiberglass in a marine environment. If I remember (probably not), I believe he told me to use a two-part acrylic.

I believe theyíll field your questions at www.loctite.com or call their number 1-800-loctite. They seemed eager to answer questions and tackle problems if theyíll make a buck or two. The application manuals I still have donít specifically reference bonding to fiberglass, but Iím sure somebody knows something. Iíve attached a page out of their adhesive sourcebook.

Hoff1
06-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Resolution on that image isn't too good, here's another.

DanC
06-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Resin kit (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFFC1&P=7)
This is just one of dozens of brands.

Found it at West Marine. I didn't realize it was the same resin used for fiberglass lamination. Makes sense if that is what I am trying to bond to. I was unfamiliar with "polyester" and figured if you quoted a hobby store it was unique. Available all over the place. Thanks.

Now back to daytime soap "Rod's Place" :popcorn:

Workin' 4 Toys
06-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Hobby stores just sell it in very small quantities, thats why I sent you there. They also have thin fiberglass matting.
You now have the knowledge, use it wisely.....;)

DanC
06-28-2006, 11:09 AM
WFT and Hoff
Thanks for the additional info. That is great stuff.

WFT. Typically stereo or electrical wiring, cleaning up wire bundles under the dash.

bigmac
06-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Many hardware stores and almost all auto stores sell fiberglass matting and polyester resin in pint cans, including the MEK catalyst.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Another tip for cleaning up wires. We call it crinkle tube. Some call it split tube. Available at truck supply shops in large quanities for cheap (or any parts store in colors) Attach that to the fiberglass (under your new coat of polyester resin) to run your wires through.