PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Install

EFiles
06-27-2006, 12:14 PM
My fuel pump needs to be replaced (gas in the sight tube). Time to put the time I spend lurking on this site to good use by installing it myself. Just ordered a new one from skidim. From what I've read in other threads it seems like a pretty straightforward swap. Here's my question:

Will I need to take the fittings for the gas lines off the old pump and put them on the new one?

If so, will I need to put any type of tape or dressing on the threads to prevent leaks?

Are there any other tips/tricks/issues I need to be aware of?

BrianS
06-27-2006, 07:20 PM
I just replaced mine on my '93 with the 351W.

Yes, you will need to take the fittings off the old pump and put them on the new one.

The old threads had some kind of pipe dope on there. I cleaned the threads and installed without anything. To get the fittings to line up properly I wasn't able to get them as tight as I would have liked. The fitting on the input to the pump is dripping very slightly. I'm going to get some lock-tite thread sealant for fuel lines and apply it.

The input and output on the replacement are in slightly different places than the original. The output of the pump to the carb is not a problem. However, the soft line from the fuel water seperator would not reach the input to the new pump. The fuel water seperator has an input and an output on each side. I was able to move the output of the fuel water seperator to the other side and trim the line to get it to reach.

In this picture the arrow points to where the line used to output from the filter. You can see where I moved it to.

Everything else was pretty simple.

http://bshowalter.no-ip.com/images/mastercraft/fuel_pump/IMG_1645_cap.jpg

EFiles
06-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the reply and the pic. I'll make a followup post with any useful info I get from the process.

Davo
06-30-2006, 12:15 PM
I would think using teflon tape on the threads would be a good plan, but I'm just speculating....

Free bump to the top.

johny_Utah
07-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Can this pump be bought at Napa?

EFiles
07-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Got it installed and back on the water! This really was something that a guy with average skills can do. Took me about 2 hours, which is less time than hauling it back and forth to the mechanic. Now that I've done it once I could probably do it again in half that time.

The most time consuming part was getting the metal line from the pump to the carb to line up properly at the pump end. I had to use a PCM pump because Skidim is having trouble getting the Indmar OEM style with the filter on the bottom. The solution they are suggesting is to use the PCM pump and change the metal fuel line to the PCM style. After attaching and tightening it at the carb end it seemed too short and angled in toward the pump too much. It took some adjusting and tweaking but I was able to get it all back together with no leaks.

I also spent too much time trying to get a wrench around behind the oil pressure sender when unbolting the pump from the block. Once I figured out I could twist it over out of the way and get a socket extension in there it was easy.

Richard at Skidim said they generally don't put anything on the fitting threads unless you have a situation like BrianS did where you can't get enough turns to tighten the fittings without misaligning them. I didn't have any trouble with that. The metal fuel line has compression fittings so it shouldn't be necessary to put anything there. However, I did have to really tighten down on the one at the pump end because it was weeping very slightly. Richard suggested picking up a 5/8" flare wrench to use for this and I'm glad I listened to him. It helped crank down on it without rounding the nut off. I had picked up some thread sealant at an auto parts store. I couldn't find Loc-tite brand but found some by Permatex that said it could be used on fuel lines. Ended up not needing it.

Seems like I read in another post that fuel pumps are one of those marine specific parts. Even if this weren't the case, buying it from skidim is the way to go. They took the time to call me to say "hey, the pump you ordered online is back ordered but this will work and we can still get it to you in time for the weekend and by the way, here's what you need to know to install it." You don't find that kind of service many places these days. Thanks to them I was able to drag my 5 year old around on her tube this weekend. The smile on her face was worth all the sweat, expense, and greasy fingernails. :)