PDA

View Full Version : spare tire help (other spare tire)

mitch
06-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Saw that thread under general and it made me laugh, I thought how timely! As I roar into my 40's, I need some exercise suggestions to reduce my spare tire, esp love handles. Any good suggestions. 5'11" 190lbs, which I've been for a while, just seems stuff is sliding south in the last couple of years, as some of us for sure understand. How bout the ab lounger? Thanks for any ideas! I don't think there's any doubt Gene would hate this thread. ""How can you share that suff, that's personal"" :mad: :D

Mag_Red
06-27-2006, 08:16 AM
:twocents: Mitch, I would say it's more in your diet. Cut out breads and any junk food. Eat healthier. Do lots of crunches..........mix em up

Mag_Red
06-27-2006, 08:17 AM
HB might disagree.........cut back on your beer consumption :D

Cloaked
06-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Talk to Gene!!! :uglyhamme

Time in the gym, Brother. Either you do or you don't. :twocents:

mitch
06-27-2006, 09:25 AM
HB might disagree.........cut back on your beer consumption :D

That's alarming! Looking for the easy button! Bread and beer and 2 of my favorite things.

Thanks!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-27-2006, 10:49 AM
I just read an article in a health newletter I get. As we get older we can lost upto 5-7 lbs of muscle mass a year according to that letter, so if we stay the same weight, we are replacing muscle with fat. so we need to excercise more and just keep a good diet. low on fat, keep good carbs, and protein for muscle retention. If you want to burn that spare tire, I can think of NOTHING more effective and inexpensive as pilates. I did them and it really tightens up your abs and burns the mid section fat. also, cutting bad carbs will help you lose it. Cut out beer, white bread, white rice, potato chips, etc.. stick to whole grain foods, better for you all around. SImple cardio excercise will burn the fat too. ride a bike, get your heart rate up. Try this, push mow your lawn at a very brisk pace, this will get your chores done faster, plus provide a work out. thats what I do. People with think I am stupid for this, but when I clean my house, I do all 3 floors bathroom at first. clean the sink in the basement, run upstairs and do the main floor, run upstaird do the sink up there. run back down stairs, repeat with cleaning the toilets, rugs, vacumming, etc.... sounds dumb, but I am sweating my arse off when I get done. Good workout IMO, and gets stuff done.

Just my 2 cents.

theDano
06-27-2006, 07:04 PM
eat 6 meals a day.....smaller portions for brkfst, lunch, and dinner and snacks between meals like fruits and veggies. Don't kill yourself with the stupid diets....they don't work cause people can never stick to them because they starv ya!!!

You will be amazed if you eat what you would eat normally in given day (caloriewise) and spread that out (calories) over 6 meals.

And drink lots of water to keep the tank full ;)

:twocents:

NatesGr8
06-28-2006, 08:07 AM
i've recently had the same issues with the spare tire. i began jogging 5 days a week about a month and a half ago and have lost a little over 20 lbs through today. i should also mention that i go to the gym 5 days a week and my workouts there last about two hours while my jogging ranges from an additional 35 minutes to an hour, depending on how far i run. i'm probably averaging about 4 miles a day. as far as eating, i pretty much eat whatever i want, but i try not to eat after 6 pm and nothing in excess, no matter how delicious it is.

bigmac
06-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Accumulation of abdominal fat is a function of weight gain (more general body fat) and redistribution of fat as testosterone/estrogen levels change. As males age, testosterone levels decrease enough to change the relationship between estrogen and testosterone, and that relative increase in estrogen results in that fat redistribution and loss of muscle mass. The body weight may be the same, but muscle mass decreases, fat increases and tends to be distributed to the abdomen around the waist.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about that other than liposuction, where that spare tire fat is actually removed. "Ab-Rollers", crunch machines, pilates etc will increase tone in the abdominal muscles, which is a good thing, but won't do anything at all for the love-handles / spare tire. There is no way to target specific areas of the body for fat loss, despite what all the late-night infomercials would have you believe. General weight loss with concomitant decrease in ALL body fat is the only thing that can be done to minimize that accumulation.

Not to discourage anyone from improving their abdominal muscles - that's really good for the back - but it won't do a thing for the 'ol spare tire.