PDA

View Full Version : Oil in Bilge - Where did it come from?

MarkL
06-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Lost oil pressure the other day. Shut the engine down immediately. Bilge full of oil. No catastrophic failure like throwing a rod, etc. Engine and oil filter are clean. Drain plug is in oil pan. Cleaned up the oil, replaced it and ran the boat in the driveway with fake-a-lake. Boat ran fine. No drips of oil, good pressure, temp 155. Where could oil have come from? How did it all escape from the engine with no sign of damage? :confused: Thanks for the help.

Hoosier Bob
06-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Nothing from around the filter? Kinked filter seal? Mine has actually spun backwords to the point where I draw a line on it to track it's position. Check your filter. ;) Lost oil pressure the other day. Shut the engine down immediately. Bilge full of oil. No catastrophic failure like throwing a rod, etc. Engine and oil filter are clean. Drain plug is in oil pan. Cleaned up the oil, replaced it and ran the boat in the driveway with fake-a-lake. Boat ran fine. No drips of oil, good pressure, temp 155. Where could oil have come from? How did it all escape from the engine with no sign of damage? :confused: Thanks for the help.

bigmac
06-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Oil filter would be my first thought with a one-time oil dump into the bilge with subsequent normal performance. Loose, cross-threaded, failure to remove old gasket, installing it without the gasket, wrong size...

MarkL
06-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the quick response guys. I'll check the filter. I've been running the boat quite a bit this year with no problems. What about the rear main seal? It's almost like someone drained the oil and replaced the plug. Before you ask...I'm not paranoid, people really don't like me. ;)

greeneng
06-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Take a look at my post: "Low oil pressure and oil in the bilge" for other possibilities. The post is still on this board, at the bottom.

Jim

MarkL
06-28-2006, 11:00 PM
I replaced the filter and the oil. Ran the boat in the lake for about 30 min tonight. From cruise to WOT. Oil pressure normal, temp normal. No oil leaking from engine. Still don't know what caused the problem. Thanks for your help.

wesgardner
06-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey MarkL,

Great broach shot in your Avatar...can't be of much help with the mystery oil purge...good luck

My guess would have been oil filter as well....I'm sure you'll agree, rear main seals don't normally just heal themselves.

MarkL
06-29-2006, 11:05 PM
When not on the Mastercraft I enjoy the calm and predictable relaxation that sailboat racing offers.

TMCNo1
06-30-2006, 11:57 AM
I replaced the filter and the oil. Ran the boat in the lake for about 30 min tonight. From cruise to WOT. Oil pressure normal, temp normal. No oil leaking from engine. Still don't know what caused the problem. Thanks for your help.

Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion, Upset Stomach, Diarrhea, is usually taken care of by the "Pink Stuff".
Maybe it just had a upset stomach! Be glad the oil wasn't coming out the exhaust pipes!