PDA

View Full Version : 05 X ballast pumps vs 06

c640947
06-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Buddy of mine bought an 05 X Star and his ballast pumps suck. Well yes they are supposed to I guess but they are not very fast. Dealer said something about new impellers in the 06s or something. Mine fill fast and when emptying make the X2 look like a fire brigade boat they shoot out so far. He can only run one pump at a time or they short out (trip fuse). His stereo shorts out too if you turn it too high. His batteries are run directly together, no isolator or perko switch or anything.

So theres the background. Is there anything you can do to the 05 pumps to make them faster? Can he swap out the impellers? Does he just need all new pumps? Are the 06 pumps totally different and have a higher speed? Does his electrical system to the pumps just need beefing up (bigger wires)? I can run all three of mine at the same time (with engine running above 900 rpm). I know the battery setup is jacked up - he needs an isolator or something.

We are gonna start testing out different scenarios, but I figured if I could get some advance help, that would be greatly appreciated. He is willing to buy new impellers, but all new pumps would be expensive..... unless anyone knows what brand they are (the 06s) and we could try to find them cheap online somewhere.....

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Andrew

douglas larsen
06-21-2007, 02:25 PM
I have an '04 Xstar and have the same problems your friend has.I had the impellers replaced and performance is slightly better but they occasionally stick and won't reverse. I play with it for awhile and they eventually start up. Wish I had an answer but i don't. I question why the engine has to be running to operate thr pumps? My manual says 1500 rpms. Anybody know why?

BoulderX45
06-21-2007, 09:21 PM
I have a early 06 X45 and had some pump issues. The dealer had a concern that I might have some 05 impellars. He confirmed I had the yellow 06 impellars. What he found was some loose wires at the switch. So, make sure your impellars are yellow. The other color (I think black) seems to bind up the pump and could draw too many amps that will cause the fuse to blow. I would confirm your alternator is working properly and that the belt is tight.

BoulderX45

douglas larsen
06-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info. Any idea why they say to have the engine running when the ballast is on.

Jerseydave
06-21-2007, 10:07 PM
The alternator will produce more than 12 volts with engine running, therefore your pumps will run faster and pump quicker.

My '05 X-star pumps work great, but I will be changing to the yellow impellers if they start to give me trouble. If the yellow ones don't solve your reversing problem, your pump (s) may be bad. My dealer said some of the pumps have failed early.

NeilM
06-22-2007, 09:54 AM
I have an '02 - went to the yellow impellers - made a big difference in reliablility - being able to fill and to empty - but I don't think it did much for the speed of fill / empty.

I think the new boats no longer share a single inlet - one inlet per pump now - I assume that'll allow you to run more than one pump at a time...

wesgardner
06-22-2007, 12:27 PM
The Jabsco style pumps are notorious for drawing lots of current and sticking thus blowing fuses/tripping breakers. The solutions seem to be the newer impellers as well as yearly greasing/lubing with teflon-style grease. The wiring ++MIGHT++ be undersized - these pumps DO draw some current - that might be why it's suggested to run your motor...the Jabscos DO have the ability to reverse thus allowing half the amount of pumps...

You may want to consider a second (or third depending on audio requirements) battery with isolator and/or Perko switch.

My system (as well as alotta others) uses AERATOR style pumps. These don't reverse and are NOT self priming. They DO however pump quickly with very little current draw and are completely quiet. I take on about 3000 lbs in 2 1/2 minutes (quicker than you can get your board on) I also kept most of my plumbing at 1" ID with some 1 1/4".

In summary - speed requires GPM - so you can install more pumps or maybe go with a manifold (or both) and/or increase the hose/plumbing size (PITA). The newer impellers will help in that they won't stick as much and won't make the pump motor work as hard (so maybe you won't trip breakers). You may need to increase the gauge of the wire but I'd try the impeller/grease scenario first.

BoulderX45
06-22-2007, 11:07 PM
The dealer also told me to fire up all the pumps even if I was just going to fill one bag. All pumps go into one manifold and to get a good prime I need to start all the pumps and then turn off the ones I do not want to use/fill.

BoulderX45

WESSTAR
06-27-2007, 10:31 PM
My center ballast pump just stopped working yesterday. It won't fill or empty. Where are the pumps located at on an 06 X-Star?

douglas larsen
06-28-2007, 05:21 PM
In my 04 Xstar you remove the panel behind the engine and the three pumps are mounted low on the back of the boat.

WESSTAR
06-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks I was able to find it and found out that the impeller is in pieces so I got a new one and I am going to put it in tomorrow.