PDA

View Full Version : My ACL is Torn

wakebroad
06-26-2006, 06:40 PM
:mad:
I'm a little confused right now. The dr. said the MRI shows my ACL is torn but I should go back to living my life as normal. If it starts giving me problems then I will have to have surgery. So I'm not real happy needless to say.
I know things could be so much worse....why can't I make myself feel better??? :(

bradamerry
06-26-2006, 06:46 PM
:mad:
I'm a little confused right now. The dr. said the MRI shows my ACL is torn but I should go back to living my life as normal. If it starts giving me problems then I will have to have surgery. So I'm not real happy needless to say.
I know things could be so much worse....why can't I make myself feel better??? :(
sorry hear this........hope all goes well for you.............

SkiDog
06-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Maybe a little 'Off Color' will do the trick! Just kiddin'! Hope you feel better!

wakebroad
06-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I could use some of that right about now. Don't wanna get booted though, right? ;)

barefoot
06-26-2006, 07:41 PM
ACL tears are never a good thingÖIíve had two ACL surgeryís on the right knee. I tore both fairly young so it made sense to do the surgery. Iím sure the doc will go through the pros/cons of each, but if youíre active, you might want to consider getting it taken care of.

mitch
06-26-2006, 09:29 PM
That a bummer, how'd you do it?

JohnnyB
06-26-2006, 09:35 PM
I would agree that if you're young and active, get it taken care of. I'm no doctor and don't have ACL experience myself, but I would question the structural integrity of your knee and risk to further injury by being active (wakeboarding, etc) and not having it repaired.....

Hopefully, the voice of experience will chime in here.....consider it a free bump from me.....you may want to get a 2nd opinion or at least more greatly scrutinize/explore the opinion your Dr. offered. Was this a Dr. or an Orthopedic Dr/Surgeon?

LakePirate
06-26-2006, 09:40 PM
With you only being 22 years old I would recommend the surgery....

bigmac
06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Interestingly, women are substantially more prone to ACL injuries than men, especially in jumping and cutting sports like wakeboarding. Something to do with the angle at the knee and relatively less muscle mass.

If it's a partial tear, it's not unreasonable to leave it alone and let it heal. If it's completely torn, the decision to replace it (it can't be "repaired") is made based on the stability of the knee, the quality of the surrounding muscles and the person's activities. The problem I see with the recommendations given to Wakebroad is that lack of an ACL makes other structures in the knee, such as the menisci or collateral ligaments, more prone to injuries in cutting and jumping sports like wakeboarding. It seems to me that that recommendation to leave it alone would be mostly appropriate for 40 year-old men, less so for a 22 year old wakeboarder. I'd be inclined to get a second opinion too.

disclaimer: I'm not an orthopedist, but I ski with one every Thursday morning. :D

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Interestingly, women are substantially more prone to ACL injuries than men, especially in jumping and cutting sports like wakeboarding. Something to do with the angle at the knee and relatively less muscle mass.

If it's a partial tear, it's not unreasonable to leave it alone and let it heal. If it's completely torn, the decision to replace it (it can't be "repaired") is made based on the stability of the knee, the quality of the surrounding muscles and the person's activities. The problem I see with the recommendations given to Wakebroad is that lack of an ACL makes other structures in the knee, such as the menisci or collateral ligaments, more prone to injuries in cutting and jumping sports like wakeboarding. It seems to me that that recommendation to leave it alone would be mostly appropriate for 40 year-old men, less so for a 22 year old wakeboarder. I'd be inclined to get a second opinion too.

disclaimer: I'm not an orthopedist, but I ski with one every Thursday morning. :D

I think she's a fine 39??????

or are you schmoozing?

Hoosier Bob
06-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Oh yeah! I think you are in! Her other half drives a gremlin and she ain't that fast! ;)

bigmac
06-26-2006, 10:10 PM

or are you schmoozing?

OK, I'm definitely not going to take you with me next time I go out cruising the bars.

LakePirate
06-26-2006, 10:11 PM

According to the article I read several years ago about female athletes and knee injuries it is due to the wider hips of the fairer sex and the angle that it places the femur at the knee.

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 10:12 PM

or are you schmoozing?

Actually, according to her profile, .... You're right, Farmer...39. :wavey:

bigmac
06-26-2006, 10:13 PM
According to the article I read several years ago about female athletes and knee injuries it is due to the wider hips of the fairer sex and the angle that it places the femur at the knee.In the Synthetic Oil Business, we call that the "Q-angle".

Hoosier Bob
06-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Wouldn't that help? I wish my hips were wider! 8p According to the article I read several years ago about female athletes and knee injuries it is due to the wider hips of the fairer sex and the angle that it places the femur at the knee.

bigmac
06-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Oh yeah! I think you are in! Her other half drives a gremlin and she ain't that fast! ;)

What color Gremlin?

Hoosier Bob
06-26-2006, 10:15 PM
I think it was a Grabber! :D Mustard?What color Gremlin?

LakePirate
06-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't that help? I wish my hips were wider! 8p

Keep drinkin and taking midol

tex
06-26-2006, 10:52 PM
LB, Sorry to hear about the ACL. This used to be the severe injury to the athlete. The good news is that the doctors have gotten so good at fixing them. They can do it in 45 minutes. Get a second opinion from a good sports medicine doc. Keep the spirits up and if you need someone to b and moan to...pm me!

wakebroad
06-27-2006, 08:37 AM
That a bummer, how'd you do it?

I hurt my knee wakeboarding. And thanks, I would love to be 22 again, however I will be 41 on Thursday (the 29th).

The Dr. I went to is an orthopedic surgeon. I believe I will get a second opinion and if it is really a complete tear then I want to get it fixed but I would rather do it after the summer. :eek3:

I'm trying to be positive but it's hard. :rant:

Mag_Red
06-27-2006, 09:14 AM
That sucks about the knee...........me......I've been having shoulder problems all year :( Wakebroad, you still going to try and come to Mag Mania II????

wakebroad
06-27-2006, 09:26 AM
That sucks about the knee...........me......I've been having shoulder problems all year :( Wakebroad, you still going to try and come to Mag Mania II????

Where is it? Ohio? I don't know what it is....is that like Comic Con?

sanjuan23
06-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Completely *** about the knee I guess you were hoping for much better news.

LakePirate
06-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Where is it? Ohio? I don't know what it is....is that like Comic Con?

It is, we are expecting Johnny Drama to be there.

sanjuan23
06-27-2006, 09:33 AM
wierd you can spell sucks, as is but spell it s-u-x and it gets astrisks (sp?)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-27-2006, 10:02 AM
I wish my sheep were wider! 8p
Oh puleeeez HB! this is not the time, nor the place for your wishes and dreams! :rant:

tex
06-27-2006, 10:05 AM
I hurt my knee wakeboarding. And thanks, I would love to be 22 again, however I will be 41 on Thursday (the 29th).

The Dr. I went to is an orthopedic surgeon. I believe I will get a second opinion and if it is really a complete tear then I want to get it fixed but I would rather do it after the summer. :eek3:

It's all good at 41! I didn't have a MC at 22.

pilot02
06-27-2006, 04:25 PM

Sorry to hear about the knee.
Happy early B-day as well... seems we share that one...

wakebroad
06-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Sorry to hear about the knee.
Happy early B-day as well... seems we share that one...

Thanks and Happy B-day to you too.
:cool:

erkoehler
06-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Mag Mania is in Somerset, KY....you should definetly come, it is a BLAST!

bcampbe7
06-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Have you informed your doctor that you are pretty active and like to do watersports and such?

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I believe you can participate in sports with a torn ACL but your leg will feel weaker.

If you are not going to have the surgery you may want to look into getting a knee brace just for safe measure.

h20winn
06-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Wakebroad,

I did the same thing about two years ago and I ended up getting the surgery done. My friends were goofing around hoping that I was going to get a donor from a superstar sport person but I do not think that was the case since I still suck in riding. (HAHA) You can use a tendon out of yourself which usually comes from the back of the leg or use a donor ligament. The donor is less painful. It is a long recovery process but well worth it. Just do it when you feel it is good for you and right. It is a pretty simple process. I was fortunate to have someone that was the Orthopedic surgeron for the Oakland Radiders do mine.

Hoosier Bob
06-27-2006, 05:06 PM
I have always gone surgery but a brace may work as well! 41 is awesome fellow 65'er. Torn ligs are a setback but my Dr. here typically repairs through surgery. He has pinned me back together more than once and I come back better than before. Many Dr.s hold off surgery because they do not see the need at our age. The "we don't do anything anyway mentality." Just because we are 41 some Dr.'s think we are less active and the opposite holds true. With what medicine is doing today to prolong sports careers I don't see any reason why we should not capitalize! Everyone in my family excelled after 40! This is a good age to take it serious and start kicking some arse! All in good fun of course! :D

pq2
06-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your knee, swiming had helped me with my knee problems. Take that second opinion.

lsupcar
06-28-2006, 12:27 PM
My 41 y/o wife had her ACL repaired in March 2006 following a snow skiing accident. She is nearly back to normal. As you are obviously not a couch potato, if medically able, I would definatly recommend having it repaired. There may be an optimium window for repair, so I would get a second opinion asap, and follow their advice regarding the timing of the repair. Waiting until after summer may be too late. Good luck. Bill Z

bigmac
06-28-2006, 12:35 PM
My 41 y/o wife had her ACL repaired in March 2006 following a snow skiing accident. She is nearly back to normal. As you are obviously not a couch potato, if medically able, I would definatly recommend having it repaired. There may be an optimium window for repair, so I would get a second opinion asap, and follow their advice regarding the timing of the repair. Waiting until after summer may be too late. Good luck. Bill Z

Best not to repair those right away. Results are quite a bit better by waiting longer. 2-4 weeks post-injury is typical - no penalty for waiting longer, although the longer one waits, the greater the chance of that unstable knee injuring something else, like cartilage.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I have always gone surgery but a brace may work as well! 41 is awesome fellow 65'er. Torn ligs are a setback but my Dr. here typically repairs through surgery. He has pinned me back together more than once and I come back better than before. Many Dr.s hold off surgery because they do not see the need at our age. The "we don't do anything anyway mentality." Just because we are 41 some Dr.'s think we are less active and the opposite holds true. With what medicine is doing today to prolong sports careers I don't see any reason why we should not capitalize! Everyone in my family excelled after 40! This is a good age to take it serious and start kicking some arse! All in good fun of course! :D
Sounds like its time to ask for the "on the fly" replacement pins huh? Maybe titaniums with zerk fittings...;) Squirt in some Amsoil grease and go another few months..

bigmac
06-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Sounds like its time to ask for the "on the fly" replacement pins huh? Maybe titaniums with zerk fittings...;) Squirt in some Amsoil grease and go another few months..

Amsoil would be a waste of money. Better off using standard motor oil and change it according to manufacturer's recommendations.

tommcat
06-28-2006, 01:20 PM
sounds like doc isnt familiar with your activities. most people would be perfectly fine living life without an ACL. if you are into sports however you should absolutely have the surgery.
and i'd suggest using the patellar tendon as it's the strongest of all the options. longer recovery time but worth it.

feel free to ask if you have any questions about my surgeries and the results

tom

#47of100TeamMC
06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
2 years ago this 4th weekend, I twisted my knee wakeboarding. It was never swollen at all. Then the next time I jumped back on the wakeboard was last 4th of July Same thing... Twisted it again. I vowed never to ride the board again. Still wasn't swollen. THen this spring playing softball I planted my left leg and POP. it gave out on me... So thought I should go get it checked out. Sure enough. Completely Torn ACL and cartilage. But the funny thing is the Dr. (Sports medicine Dr. for the UofM) was puzzled as to why it has never been swollen. after it gives out. It hurts for about 10 minutes. then i can walk and jog on it just fine. running is a little uneasy. So I opted for the surgery this fall. in the meantime I got a brace for it and can play softball still. But Skiing doens't hurt or feel uneasy even a little bit. I guess I'm lucky there. But sounds like my best option is using the tendon from a cadaveur(sp?) So as soon as I winterize the boat this year... I'm going under the knife. I was told 6months recovery time. So I should be ready to go come late April early May when the ice melts off the frozen tundra...

bigmac
06-28-2006, 01:53 PM
i'd suggest using the patellar tendon as it's the strongest of all the options. longer recovery time but worth it.

Not to mention the potential for life-threatening infections that have occured and been widely reported in association with using unknowingly-contaminated cadaver-donor grafts.

Before signing up for surgery, however, I would indeed see how you get along over these next few weeks using a brace.

tommcat
06-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Not to mention the potential for life-threatening infections that have occured and been widely reported in association with using unknowingly-contaminated cadaver-donor grafts.

Before signing up for surgery, however, I would indeed see how you get along over these next few weeks using a brace.
one other option is a piece of your muscle, from your thigh i believe. if i tear mine again i have to go that route since i already used up my patellar tendon :rolleyes:

tex
06-28-2006, 03:29 PM
hamstring.

wakebroad
06-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm going for a second opinion on Monday. I did tell the other dr. that I wakeboard every single weekend, I lift weights, never sit still, etc. He did tell me to wear the brace (which I have been). It has felt alot better today but a little sore now from chasing around the little brats I work with. :rolleyes:

I'm interested to see what the other guy says.

Davo
06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
:( Sorry to hear this....it's easier said than done, but try to stay positive and have fun out on the water anyway!

I'm afraid to find out what an MRI would reveal with my knee.

MLD004
06-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Had the ACL repaired and it wasn't too bad. I tore in August and was snow skiing by december. My MCL healed on it own. Good luck!!