PDA

View Full Version : carburator (maybe) ??

brady1022
06-26-2006, 05:09 PM
I've got a 88 prostar 190 with the 351. Everything's stock on this boat. I got it from a guy who very obviously did absolutely no maintenence so i've been catching up on 16 or so years of maintenence. It starts fine, and will run fine at speed, but when I put it into gear it knocks a bit and will sputter out and die. I'm a bit perplexed seeing as it runs great when you get past the idle speed, other than it dying at low rpm's the thing's perfect. I've put carb cleaner through and it didn't seem to make a difference. Anyone have any suggestions?

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Bump for you Brady. Sounds similar to some carb issues I've had (but with a different carb than you're running). Rebuild kits are around $50 if you decide to go that way.

Hoff1
06-27-2006, 09:21 AM
I've got a 88 prostar 190 with the 351. Everything's stock on this boat. I got it from a guy who very obviously did absolutely no maintenence so i've been catching up on 16 or so years of maintenence. It starts fine, and will run fine at speed, but when I put it into gear it knocks a bit and will sputter out and die. I'm a bit perplexed seeing as it runs great when you get past the idle speed, other than it dying at low rpm's the thing's perfect. I've put carb cleaner through and it didn't seem to make a difference. Anyone have any suggestions?

What is your idle speed. Does it die as soon as you put it into gear or when you throttle up from idling?

brady1022
06-27-2006, 02:55 PM
It will idle just fine, as soon as it goes into gear it knocks a bit then dies out. Sometimes it'll knock for 30 seconds or so then die, other times it's only a couple seconds...that noise freaks me out so I don't ever let it last that long, as soon as I give it some gas though it works fine. I'm not sure of my idle speed or rpm, so I'll check that out and post it. oh...and that rebuild kit? are we talkin from skidim or something?

theDano
06-27-2006, 03:27 PM
when was the last time new plugs, plug wires, distributer cap, fuel filter, and timing set on engine?

brady1022
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I did plugs at the beginning of the season, wires and caps last year and the timing I'm not sure of....

92 190 PS
06-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Have been trying to get my new to me 92 running well at idle for a couple months now and I think I've finally go it figured out. For me it was just a matter of patience and working with adjusting the idle mixture screws on the carb. For me the best recommended position on the screws was to turn them all the way in and then back out 1 and 1/2 revolutions. Then just a slight adjustment on the idle screw as needed. Runs like a champ now...Good luck.

rektek
06-29-2006, 11:33 AM
it sure sound like your engine is a little lean at idle and possibly to low of a idle speed setting. turn the idle mixture screws out a 1/2 turn each and see if the idle speed increases.

:steering:
Jeff

83MC
06-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I had a similar problem with my 1983 S&S Power Slot. Use a dwell meter to check for correct RPM of the engine and compare to your tachometer. My tach was giving me an incorrect reading. I was getting, not a nock, but drive train chatter at low speeds. I corrected the problem with a new tach and set the engine idle to 650-700rpm in neutral.