PDA

View Full Version : Portable Course Recommendations

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 11:50 AM
We are considering buying a portable course. We may have a deal that pans out locally, but assuming we buy new, does anyone who's gone through this purchase already care to share some insight as to why you bought from the manufacturer you did.

I've visited the sites for EZ-Slalom, Accufloat, and Instaslalom.

I know instaslalom doesn't charge tax if you ship outside of Texas, which I would find a way to do. Not sure about the others as you apparently have to call to order.

bradamerry
06-26-2006, 11:54 AM
We are considering buying a portable course. We may have a deal that pans out locally, but assuming we buy new, does anyone who's gone through this purchase already care to share some insight as to why you bought from the manufacturer you did.

I've visited the sites for EZ-Slalom, Accufloat, and Instaslalom.

I know instaslalom doesn't charge tax if you ship outside of Texas, which I would find a way to do. Not sure about the others as you apparently have to call to order.
ship it to me Eastie..

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Brad. I may be giving you a call if I go with that manufacturer.

bradamerry
06-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks, Brad. I may be giving you a call if I go with that manufacturer.
I could meet in Longview for lunch one day!!!!!

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Brad, PM at ya.

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 12:39 PM
....bump....

6ballsisall
06-26-2006, 12:45 PM
We have an Instaslalom and really like it. We didn't buy it new so can't give you any reasons why we specifically bought it over other brands. After setting it up a few times we have just this past weekend set a new record setup time of 25 minutes. First couple times were more like 45 minutes or longer. It seems to be very well built and if set in the right water depth it holds awesome!

Bruce Carr
06-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Be sure and check out the EZ Slalom. I believe they are made a good bit better than the Insta-Slalom and the are not located in Texas so there would not be any sales tax shipped to Texas.

kpickett
06-26-2006, 01:56 PM
I've got the EZ Slalom. It's great. I'd say this, too. Ed, the owner of EZ Slalom, is really accessible. You can call him any time with questions. In fact, while you're considering, I'd suggest calling him up and asking him any questions you have. You might not think that you'd need any customer service on a slalom course, but I had a few questions, and he was great to work with.

I added novice buoys to my course, and this year I added magnets. I love it. One word of advice - get the river anchors from BassPro that Ed suggests. One of my friends has a portable course with standard anchors, and mine holds its tension much better with the river anchors.

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've spoken to Ed twice at this point. I'm waiting a few more hours for a call back on a possible used course locally, but the good news is (1) no sales tax from EZ slalom as I'm out of state, and (2) my local dealer is holding two used 30 lb river anchors for me for half price. I was really hoping not to have to spend an extra $100 on anchors. I've already got the buoys and the magnets, so I'm going to go for the compact basic course that will have the mainline, the arms (compact to 80") and the buoy lines/clips.

LakePirate
06-26-2006, 10:44 PM
When I was looking a month or so back they crowd convinced me on E-Z-Slalom. Still don't have the slalom course fund built up yet, but working on it.

JohnnyB
06-26-2006, 10:48 PM
if set in the right water depth it holds awesome!

Can you clarify this a bit????? Interested in instaslalom and may have found one here locally....

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
As it comes from the manufacturer, they recommend at least 5 feet of water. The mainline and arms need to float a little when under tension. Ed says you can shorten the buoy lines a little bit, but obviously you don't want to shorten them too much since you don't want the boat to chop up the mainline.

east tx skier
06-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. Ordered a course from EZ-Slalom yesterday. Ed was extremely helpful as described.

rodltg2
06-28-2006, 02:34 PM
i thought you already had a portbale course. what have you been using?

east tx skier
06-28-2006, 02:46 PM
We have an individually anchored course in front of my father-in-law's place. It works fine, but can be time consuming to set up/swim out, requires regular removal of acquatic vegetation, and has been previously unuseable in late summer due to low water levels.

That combined with the fact that our extended family's annual ski weekend is going to be on another lake this year contributed to this purchase. Portability being the key ingredient.