PDA

View Full Version : More fun with the Tahoe

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Coming back from the lake my wife calls me and tells me she's broke down

truck just died and won't start

-the 20 AMP "ECM B" fuse was the only one blown

-replaced it and started the truck, was running rough, would not idle above 500 RPM, turned it off and restarted it and all seemed good.

Idled fine, wife drove off and got about 7 miles down the road and the truck died again.

I replaced the fuse and drove the truck into town and got it parked.

Any suggestions?

The one thing I noticed was the fuel pump was not making any noise and it's usually easy to hear it whining in the background.

Could a a dead fuel pump cause the ECM B fuse to blow?

bradamerry
06-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Call the local Tracker dealer.....

Sorry just kidding dude..... Hope all goes well.

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Call the local Tracker dealer.....

Sorry just kidding dude..... Hope all goes well.

Ya cut me deep Shrek!

kick a brutha when he's down....(actually, kick a sista when she's down, the 150 is gettin it done!)

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 09:37 AM
bump..........

bradamerry
06-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Ya cut me deep Shrek!

kick a brutha when he's down....(actually, kick a sista when she's down, the 150 is gettin it done!)
Sorry Nicki.................................. :(

Ric
06-26-2006, 10:11 AM
at least you got home!

I had a hotrod programmer completely kill my ecm in mine and there was no fuse that was gonna help me!!!!

Have you done any recent mods to the truck that might point toward the ecm problem? Driven in any high water? Check the multipin connections at the ECM?

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 02:35 PM
at least you got home!

I had a hotrod programmer completely kill my ecm in mine and there was no fuse that was gonna help me!!!!

Have you done any recent mods to the truck that might point toward the ecm problem? Driven in any high water? Check the multipin connections at the ECM?

From what I've read....

ECM B supplies power to the Fuel Pump Relay which powers the fuel pump sender unit (fuel pump & tank sender)

I'm going up this afternoon to pick up the truck and do more trouble shooting but the Chevy dealer wants $468 for the part, I can get it from GMpartsdirect.com for $248

grrrr....

Diesel
06-26-2006, 03:11 PM
I would say fuel pump as well. Get a gauge on the fuel system and check your pressures.

shepherd
06-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Tahoes :cool:
What year is it? My '99 has a weird problem that I believe is ECM-related(?). Every once in a while - I mean once a year - it just won't start for me. It will crank and run for 1/2 a second before dying immediately on me. When it happens, it will happen 2 or 3 times during the week, and then go away - not a problem anymore. Of course, when it happens and I take it to the shop -- it starts just fine :mad: so they can't find any problem. Already had one dealer rip me off for a $700 fuel pump install which was unnecessary. Otherwise, it's a great vehicle. I was just wondering if you had the same engine as mine or if you got the newer model in case I start thinking about a new Tahoe.

Diesel
06-26-2006, 05:38 PM
What year is it? My '99 has a weird problem that I believe is ECM-related(?). Every once in a while - I mean once a year - it just won't start for me. It will crank and run for 1/2 a second before dying immediately on me. When it happens, it will happen 2 or 3 times during the week, and then go away - not a problem anymore. Of course, when it happens and I take it to the shop -- it starts just fine :mad: so they can't find any problem. Already had one dealer rip me off for a $700 fuel pump install which was unnecessary. Otherwise, it's a great vehicle. I was just wondering if you had the same engine as mine or if you got the newer model in case I start thinking about a new Tahoe.

It sounds like a leaky injector popet. There is a TSB out for this. CARB made GM reengineer the injector design to fix the problem. I have a 97' burban and just made the upgrade and it's like a new truck. Pleanty of ways to diagnose for a competent mechanic........

shepherd
06-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Pleanty of ways to diagnose for a competent mechanic........

Yeah, kinda what I figured :rolleyes:

Diesel
06-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Easiest way to determine if it is a poppet is check fuel pressure when it will not start. Pressure will bleed off the system as fuel leaks through the open poppet and into the manifold. The extreme rich situation is what causes the hard start and often times rough idle. Give it a little gas and it should clear up quickly. Usually you can read the plugs to determine which poppet is sticking. Also if you remove the upper intake manifold you can usualy see tell tale signs of a sticky poppet. All common knowledge on the 5.7 vortecs...

Good luck.

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 06:31 PM

It's a 2000 with the new body style
5.3L Vortec

The engine just stopped (while my wife was driving 65 on the highway)
The ECM B fuse was blown
Replaced the fuse and started the truck, it ran but did not want to idle unless you gave it gas
Turned it off and restarted it, ran fine
Drove about 7 miles and the engine just died again, ECM B fuse blown again.

I was going to go get it but am having trouble finding a trailer to put it on, the base has three I can rent but they're all out.

Plus I think the 5000 pound Tahoe and 2000 pound trailer would push the limits of my V-6 F-150.

Going to have one of my father-in-laws farm hands tow it to Daddy's house so I can go up and trouble shoot it.

I was able to find a pump from GMpartsdirect.com for $248 and ABC auto here in town has one for $260 so once I verify that the pump is bad I'll get a new one.

Other than that it's been running fine

Diesel
06-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Farmer,

How long has it been since the fuel filter was changed??

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Farmer,

How long has it been since the fuel filter was changed??

I can't say, probably never.

If that got clogged so bad would the pump not run or burn out?

The pump is definately not making that noise, so I assume it's not running....

bradamerry
06-26-2006, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Farmer Ted]
Plus I think the 5000 pound Tahoe and 2000 pound trailer would push the limits of my V-6 F-150. [QUOTE]

you need my F-150.....................................

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Farmer Ted]
Plus I think the 5000 pound Tahoe and 2000 pound trailer would push the limits of my V-6 F-150. [QUOTE]

you need my F-150.....................................

might have to get daddy's 250 King Ranch

bradamerry
06-26-2006, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=bradamerry][QUOTE=Farmer Ted]
Plus I think the 5000 pound Tahoe and 2000 pound trailer would push the limits of my V-6 F-150.

might have to get daddy's 250 King Ranch
you will need a FORD to pull that Chevy for sure..

SOrry Nicki................

Workin' 4 Toys
06-27-2006, 10:00 AM

Yes, it could get clogged that bad.

Diesel
06-27-2006, 12:15 PM

I think we just found your problem. A clogged filter will burn up a pump in no time. Stay on top of it. I do my wife's filter every year (about 25K). Also try to keep at least 1/4 tank of fuel to help prolong the life of pump. The gas keeps it cool and happy.

Still you need to get a gauge on the system to verify it is fuel pump issue. The pump could have survived so you might just want to start with a filter change and see what happens. Even if the pump did survive it's days are numbered having to work that hard which was probably causing the fuse to pop.

Don't feel bad I had to do my wife's fuel pump on her 03 Yukon at 50k. She loves to run it all the way down to the low fuel light despite my warnings. :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
06-27-2006, 12:59 PM
On that note, '04 and newer are filterless.........:confused:

Farmer Ted
06-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Deisel and W4T,

Thanks for the info, I have a new fuel filter in hand and am on my way to swap that out and get the truck home one way or another (rented a the trailer.....)

I appreciate the help!

FT

bcampbe7
06-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Deisel and W4T,

Thanks for the info, I have a new fuel filter in hand and am on my way to swap that out and get the truck home one way or another (rented a the trailer.....)

I appreciate the help!

FT

Good thing Gene didn't get his way, huh? :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ric
06-27-2006, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=Farmer Ted][QUOTE=bradamerry]
you will need a FORD to pull that Chevy for sure..

SOrry Nicki................
Don't you do it Farmer! :rant: NO NO NO

Farmer Ted
06-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Good thing Gene didn't get his way, huh? :cool: :cool: :cool:

who's Gene?

bcampbe7
06-27-2006, 03:11 PM
who's Gene?

GeneDobies, the guy that left because TMC was too much about our personal lives and issues and not just MC talk.

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm glad that's the way the circumstances leading up to his departure are remembered. :rolleyes:

Farmer, start around post #18 or so. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9422&page=1&pp=40)

bcampbe7
06-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm glad that's the way the circumstances leading up to his departure are remembered. :rolleyes:

The cliff notes version... ;)

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, it's linked now. Why do I do it?

jmyers
06-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Well, it's linked now. Why do I do it?
How did I miss that one!! Now I get the Gene reference you gave me last week Doug! :D And wait a minute that *** wasen't refering to me about China was he!! :mad: Why I otta! Sorry I got angry! :o

Sorry for the complete threadjack!! :D I couldn't help myself!

dog paw
06-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Ted I took a quick glance at the schematics for your Tahoe. The ECM B fuse does power the fuel pump relay. Also goes to the PCM @ BCM and prolly a few other goodies you cant trace unless they fail :eek:

If you want I could email it to you..... This board won't take HTML docs for some reason

Ric
06-27-2006, 04:56 PM
;) no room for html here since we are all posting about garage door openers, toasters, vacations and child rearing

dog paw
06-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Thats cool ! It makes me feel a bit more "normal" to see others with similar problems :D (and lucky not to have the problems some do !)

I figure there's a way to change the file type but hacking it from the GM site is a chore in itself for a computer dummy :uglyhamme

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 06:13 PM
How did I miss that one!! Now I get the Gene reference you gave me last week Doug! :D And wait a minute that *** wasen't refering to me about China was he!! :mad: Why I otta! Sorry I got angry! :o

Sorry for the complete threadjack!! :D I couldn't help myself!

Yeah, that's what I thought initially. I'd forgotten that he said that. As if that trip wasn't bad enough for you. Of course, he was probalby busting on me for posting that picture of me and Sizzler, but said China to make it vague.

Ric
06-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Dammit Gene, we miss ya! :wavey:

you just know gene is checking in on us losers from time to time

Farmer Ted
06-28-2006, 12:20 AM

Farmer, start around post #18 or so. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9422&page=1&pp=40)

Can he fix a Tahoe or BBQ a brisket?

Farmer Ted
06-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Ted I took a quick glance at the schematics for your Tahoe. The ECM B fuse does power the fuel pump relay. Also goes to the PCM @ BCM and prolly a few other goodies you cant trace unless they fail :eek:

If you want I could email it to you..... This board won't take HTML docs for some reason

Thanks for the offer Dog Paw,

it's in the mechanics hands now, should know more in the morning after he does some troubleshooting.

jakethebt
06-28-2006, 08:09 AM
If you can replace the fuse and the thing starts up, I would not think that it is a bad fuel pump. If the fuel pump is dead, it will not start at all. Also, I am not sure that a bad poppet would cause a blown fuse.

As for the rough idle, keep in mind that the system wants to re-set it self after an electrical interruption, such as a fuse. GM says that the truck has to learn your driving habits; etc before it can adjusts its calibrations. I think that it is a cover for bad GM software. Bottom line is that it may run rough for a few min after you start it up, so don't worry too much.

As for the Ford vs Chevy comments... lay off the Chevy’s. Now that my brother-in-law moved out and took his '91 1500 Silverado with him I never get to use my new tool box any more!
:D

Ric
06-28-2006, 09:29 AM
I wish I had my little 91 GMC half ton back..... Those were the days :steering:

Farmer, what's the word from the mech?

Farmer Ted
06-28-2006, 02:51 PM
I wish I had my little 91 GMC half ton back..... Those were the days :steering:

Farmer, what's the word from the mech?

no word yet......

Farmer Ted
06-29-2006, 12:24 AM
clogged fuel filter toasted the pump

Workin' 4 Toys
06-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Fuel filter = every 5th oil change

Farmer Ted
06-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Fuel filter = every 5th oil change

the way we drive that would be every 5 months?

every 15,000 miles or once a year?

Workin' 4 Toys
06-29-2006, 10:44 PM
the way we drive that would be every 5 months?

every 15,000 miles or once a year?
YUP......15,000......

Farmer Ted
06-29-2006, 10:51 PM
YUP......15,000......

It shall be done!

3 or 4 bucks every 5 months beats the hell out of a fuel pump every 5 years.....

ted shred
06-29-2006, 11:01 PM
My friend who is the parts guy at the gmc garage says they have seen new trucks with less than 5000 miles have fuel filters that were totally clogged from bad gas.He told me never go beyond 15k when I change it. He told me that more resrticted it becomes, the sooner your fuel pump will croak.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-30-2006, 12:15 AM
My friend who is the parts guy at the gmc garage says they have seen new trucks with less than 5000 miles have fuel filters that were totally clogged from bad gas.He told me never go beyond 15k when I change it. He told me that more resrticted it becomes, the sooner your fuel pump will croak.
The new ones don't have "replacable" fuel filters.....:confused:

Farmer Ted
06-30-2006, 12:55 AM
The new ones don't have "replacable" fuel filters.....:confused:

Job security?

Workin' 4 Toys
06-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Job security?
It's an interesting concept. The fuel pump quits because of a clogged filter right? In order for the "stuff" to get into the filter, it was already pumped through the pump. What else could get clogged, the injectors? Perhaps.....
I also run Chevron with techron Fuel treatment every other oil change. Same stuff and the same bottle as the GM stuff, with a different label and 1/2 the price.....