PDA

View Full Version : Blowout mutilated my fender - need new one

AHUNTER
06-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Got caught on the interstate in a construction area - hit a metal plate in the road, had a blowout, nothing but cars going 70 and retaining walls for two miles. Needless to say, by the time I did find an exit ramp my trailer fender was destroyed - but the boat & family were ok (not necessarily in order of importance). Where can I get a new fender for a '91 trailer?

endl
06-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Same thing happen to me two weeks ago and I was able to stop fairly quickly. Blew out the back of my fender. I was planning on writing a post on this subject. Why in the world does Mastercraft use Fiberglass fenders on there boat trailers? My guess is that when you blow a tire you have to call Mastercraft and buy a new fender! My fenders are in pretty bad shape due to previous blowouts from the owner before. I plan to build some out of steel this fall and replace the Fibergalss. Seems to me Mastercraft builds a great boat but places them on horrible trailers after reading some of the other post on general trailer problems.

Bruce Carr
06-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Shoot a picture of the fender. I know where there are a couple of fenders but I don't know what year they are. Also, the shipping may be a little expensive on something like this. I'm in Texas, where do you live?

AHUNTER
07-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I am in Dallas area.

Bruce Carr
07-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm in Ft Worth, shoot a picture so I can compare.

JimN
07-10-2006, 01:17 PM
MC is hardly the only company using a non-metallic fender and saying that it's a terrible trailer when it's 12 years old is a little strange. I've never seen a fiberglass part rust or bend and more trailers have rusted and bent fenders. OTOH, fiberglass is repaired pretty easily unless it's really bad. I would start looking on ebay or call around for a marine salvage company. Maybe a dealer down south has an old trailer sitting around after the hurricanes.

atlfootr
07-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I helped a guy on this last year find one ... old post below. :)

I have a single axle trailer ( 1993) where I can get a replacement fender?
I have access to both a rt and lft side '93 fender, what side do you need and what color?
Include phone number ... atlfootr

Maybe, if your Dallas contact can't help ya - I can.
Sorry about your blowout, thank goodness no one was hurt :)

east tx skier
07-10-2006, 01:44 PM
MC is hardly the only company using a non-metallic fender and saying that it's a terrible trailer when it's 12 years old is a little strange. I've never seen a fiberglass part rust or bend and more trailers have rusted and bent fenders. OTOH, fiberglass is repaired pretty easily unless it's really bad. I would start looking on ebay or call around for a marine salvage company. Maybe a dealer down south has an old trailer sitting around after the hurricanes.

Hey Jim, a little off topic, but for me, what else is new.

My OEM fenders are showing some small spider cracks at the joint where the fender rises over the tire. Seems pretty common on a couple of older MC trailers I've seen and I presume that it's from people stepping on the lower part of the fender to get into the boat. To repair, would you suggest some bondo and repaint?

Tom023
07-10-2006, 02:06 PM
For what it's worth, the fact it's fiberglass, not metal probably doesn't matter too much. A tire flapping around inside a steel or aluminum fender will bend it up to the point where replacement would be necessary. At least my steel one did.

jake
07-10-2006, 04:50 PM
I helped a guy on this last year find one ... old post below. :)

Maybe, if your Dallas contact can't help ya - I can.
Sorry about your blowout, thank goodness no one was hurt :)

I need a left side fender for my '93 trailer, would prefer white, but I'm planning on paint the trailer anyway so color doesn't matter too much.

I had a wheel off last summer, messed up the fender. Actually could have fixed it (only a couple cracks) but then my wife backed into it in the driveway, now it's completely f'd.

Let me know what you might have. I'm in Minnesota, but will pay the shipping if the deal is right.

endl
07-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Guys there is no way you can convince me that if they built these fenders out of a good heavy guage steel and made nice heay front and rear stepplates that it would not be a huge improvement over the current trailer fender program. I realize fiberglass can be repaired, but trying to re-form blown out pieces and patch cracks ect is for the birds. Trying to track down salvage pieces ect. is too costly as well as having to call MC and buy a fender which is "why they build them out of fiberglass"! If they were a decent heavy guage steel they would hold up over time much better.

east tx skier
07-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Looking at my fender carpet's tendancy to come unglued and remain unnoticed for a while, I'll just throw out a guess that one reason for the fiberglass fenders is so when the boat rubs them or strikes them when you're loading or launching, it's a scratch that can be buffed out rather than a gouge that will require some expensive glass work. That's just a guess though.

/Edit. There's a MC fender on ebay right now.

endl
07-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Sounds reasonable. Never thought of that........may be the reason. I have a Maristar on a Tandem, it never gets close to the fenders the way the trailer is set up. I am just frustrated trying to repair something that is never going to be solid again.

AHUNTER
07-18-2006, 12:01 PM
The fender I am looking to replace is actually metal. It did not react well at all when confronted with a blow out. Now, on the bright side, since it is metal, my retired father has spent the last week banging on it with a rubber mallet and 2x4 and he assures me it looks good, but his "looking good" and my "looking good" are two separate things. I will try to post a photo when I am back at the lake and get a shot of it. Of course, then I will have to learn how to post a photo here which I have never been able to do.
Thanks for your responses!