PDA

View Full Version : Repair shop left drain plug in - boat flooded due to rain!

AHUNTER
06-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Took the '91 Tristar in to the shop to have carb rebuilt & some alignment work done. They left the drain plug in the boat &, of course it rained, filled the boat up with water & set there for two weeks. I pick up the boat, take it to our place at the lake, pull the cover off & go ballistic - the water level in the boat is still above the flooring (yes this boat is made of wood). The repair shop has assured me they will "make everything right", but here are my questions:
1. I have the cover off of the boat & am letting it dry out. Also ran a wet dry vac over the carpet and wiped as much gunk off of the upholestry as possible. What else should I do?
2. What would "make everything right" mean to you? What is everything? What all could screw up, rot, etc. because of this? After cleaning & drying we put it in the water and everything seemed to work except for the motor idling @ 1500 rpm & the guages being fogged up. I am concerned about what long term issues that might arise because of this.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

BriEOD
06-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Wow! I would be infuriated. Shoot for the moon I say. Anything that was underwater have them replace. Carpet, starter, etc. That is BS.

JimN
06-25-2006, 03:56 PM
They should have at least made sure the bilge pump was in the AUTO setting. If it doesn't have that, the plug should definitely be left out. The center floor panel needs to be removed, the fuel tank should come out so anything below it can dry, anything on the carpet, anything below the floor and it should be left open with air moving across it until it is dry and/or doesn't smell like it's wet. Any wet electrical connections should be re-made, any electrical devices that were under water should be checked (at the minimum) or replaced. If not replaced, a time window should be offered so that if they fail from water damage, they'll be replaced at their expense.

They should do all of this because A) they screwed up, B) it should be covered by their insurance (it was accidental, not workmanship) and, C) it's a good faith gesture.

PendO
06-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, the shop should have insurace ... I'd ask for a few grand ... perhaps several grand ... or else I would let them consider their insurance policy and have them contact their adjuster ...

Tom023
06-26-2006, 08:29 AM
This may be a stupid question but why is it the repair shop's responsibility to make sure the plug is removed? In the few instances I've taken my boat to the dealer I know it may sit in the yard for a while and always have pulled the plug ahead of time. Jim or Mike, do you guys walk your lots looking for left in plugs?

AHUNTER
06-26-2006, 11:28 AM
When I dropped the boat off, they ran a quick inspection of the boat which included was the plug in or out - which it was out. When they water tested it, they put the plug in, but never removed it.

Tom023
06-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Gotch ya, I was wondering if they had some sort of check in process. I would be on them too to make it right too.

jrcarte78
06-29-2006, 03:39 PM
I thought all MCs after like 83 or 84 were pretty much all fiberglass--atleast stringers and decking??

:confused:

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
I thought all MCs after like 83 or 84 were pretty much all fiberglass--atleast stringers and decking??

:confused:

Sort of. no wood stringers or decking. My 86' did have wood as apart of the construction for the seats though.

jrcarte78
06-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Sort of. no wood stringers or decking. My 86' did have wood as apart of the construction for the seats though.

That's the way my 89 is as well.