PDA

View Full Version : more problems

madison
06-24-2006, 07:07 PM
after so much work getting the boat back in shape, she let me down today!

had planned on having some ppl over today for some skiing and fun, so I took the boat out this am to warm her up and make sure all was well

all the sudden at about 30mph it starts missing and surging... not drastic, but enough you could feel it in the seat of your pants.. It idles fine..and runs at full speed fine.

I adjusted the carb mixture screws on each side.. turned in until the motor started to bog then turned out a .25 turn..

so im wondering ..does this sound more like an electrical thing or carb??

thanks

TMCNo1
06-25-2006, 08:43 AM
The adjustment screws are for idle only and will not effect the carb above idle. Is it still doing it or was this just a random happening, could have been some trash or water in the fuel line.

rektek
06-25-2006, 08:55 AM
the mixture screws you're turning are for the idle circuit, have no effect on your problem as you say it idles fine. look elsewhere

ignition misfires generally get worse with increased engine load, if your ok at high rpm I'd probably think about carburetion. [worn needles] or power valve

post more details :
which engine, history, type of carb, recent repairs etc.
you say surging and missing, that's 2 symptoms is it surging or misfiring or both ?

we are here to help
[ Frank & Buster]

Cloaked
06-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Madison, because I am lazy and prefer not to search for your last few posts (the search feature here is a wonderful thing too), have you converted over to the electronic ignition, and if so, did you replace the weights and springs in the bottom of the distributor?

X-45
06-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Sounds like points to me.
:twocents:

madison
06-25-2006, 08:59 PM
the mixture screws you're turning are for the idle circuit, have no effect on your problem as you say it idles fine. look elsewhere

ignition misfires generally get worse with increased engine load, if your ok at high rpm I'd probably think about carburetion. [worn needles] or power valve

post more details :
which engine, history, type of carb, recent repairs etc.
you say surging and missing, that's 2 symptoms is it surging or misfiring or both ?

we are here to help
[ Frank & Buster]

its a 351 indmar.. the carb I dont know..its a holley, I looked all over it for a id number but couldnt find one...it was put on by a boat mechanic years ago.. its the fishbowl type if I remember correctly...to get to the bowls you take the screws out of the top and the top plate lifts off..( I hope that makes sense)

I did notice this afternoon that it has a tiny drip coming from the rear of the carb..as in a tiny drip every minute or so.. I know thats not a good thing!

im trying to describe what it does at mid speed.. it basically feels like its loosing power.. but if you add throttle it goes away

this also happened after I refueled.. I will also re gap the points tommorow and try that

thanks