PDA

View Full Version : Reality TV

MarkP
10-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Anyone heard of it??

I caught about half of “the big loser” and “trading housewives” Or whatever the shows names are. Kind of funny??

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 06:26 PM
I try to avoid it if at all possible. If I want reality, I'll pinch myself. That being said, check out "Family Bonds" on HBO. Beats all.

Knoxes
10-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Ugh. Hate it.

Just that there's no reality about it at all.

Now you want real life TV? Check out the Farmer's Wife series that ran on PBS about 10 years ago. That, my friends, was reality TV.

Mag_Red
10-21-2004, 07:07 PM
:rant: You want reality????? Follow my life!

Mag's a big stupid idot! :worthy:

MarkP
10-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Wadya do now mag:confused:

I don’t see much tv but that big fat lady show, you know the one, they put everyone on a diet. NOW, next week I think they (all of the dieters) have to bake cookies or something.

I may have to see at least part of that:eek:

Mag_Red
10-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Wadya do now mag:confused:

What makes you think I did anything :huh:

lakes Rick
10-21-2004, 08:01 PM
My experience in life has led me to believe that most "soap operas" and shows like "manipulative housewives" are all based on true life experiences... A sad day in America surely.....

MarkP
10-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Mag

It was an assumption I made after reading your last post. Sorry

dmac
10-21-2004, 09:55 PM
The only one worth watching is Fear Factor. Got to see just how disgusting people will be. Otherwise, it sucks. :twocents:

Having a family who is a struggling actor in LA, waiting tables like most of them, means every reality show is a potential timeslot he doesn't have a shot at.

BriEOD
10-21-2004, 11:02 PM
We watch the Apprentice. The one with Donald Trump. It is pretty entertaining.

Ron Grover
10-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Interesting timing on this thread. On Wednesday evening I just completed a Neilson Diary for the TV ratings people. Got a call about 3 weeks ago asking if I would do the neilson thing. and I agreed.

During this last week I purposely never watched any of those insane reality shows. If this is the best that the networks can come up with then TV really has gone to the dumps.

Personally I wrote down a whole lot of stuff from The Discovery channel, The Learning Channel, History Channel and PBS. But that is what I watched.

Seems like if I have a choice between normal TV and their offerings and Mega Machines, American Chopper, This Old House and New Yankee Workshop they might as well take everything else off. Of course I'm not ruling our weekend stuff, football and can't wait for NCAA Basketball!!! Go Jayhawks!

Knoxes
10-22-2004, 10:45 AM
can't wait for NCAA Basketball!!! Go Jayhawks!

A big 1 (binary code for agree) on this one.

An interesting note on reality TV - Its reminiscent of the the interactive TV in Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451". Creepy.

east tx skier
10-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Ron, keep up the good work. A friend of mine who's a writer in L.A. was telling me seven years ago that reality TV was going to be the next big thing. I still don't believe him.

HBO and Comedy Central (and, of course, the History Channel) are where it's at. The only thing I watch on network anymore is Fox's animated shows, i.e., Simpsons, King of the Hill, and soon, the first show ever to be uncancelled, The Family Guy.

captkidd
10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Knoxes, I read Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" and "A Clockwork Orange" in high school, but it's been so long ago that I can't remember much about them, other than that I really liked them at the time.

NeilM
10-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Reality TV sucks. When I get home, the last thing I want to see is who's voting whom off the island, out of the running for the bachelor, or whatever. All crap IMO.

I don't want reality... I want to escape it. I want entertainment. A good complex plot sometimes or mindless entertainment others.

MarkP
10-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Neil

Will you tell us how you really feel :uglyhamme

Knoxes
10-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Knoxes, I read Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" and "A Clockwork Orange" in high school, but it's been so long ago that I can't remember much about them, other than that I really liked them at the time.

The main character's wife is addicted to this interactive role-playing wall of screens - to the extent that she can't communicate with him. Not that far removed from the blank stare I get from lil K when the Rugrats are on.

NeilM
10-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Neil

Will you tell us how you really feel :uglyhamme

Sure.. just let me finish this dippy egg first...:dance:

MarkP
10-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Yokie Dokie:)

lakes Rick
10-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Since I refuse to send the cable company's any more money than I have to ( I pay $13.70 monthly) my options on tv are very limited.. Thank goodness I get Discovery or I would go nuts..

I was channel surfing the other night and got the "return of the swan" or something like that... SCARED the heck out of me.. You never know what your getting anymore....

BE really really careful out there .....

captkidd
10-27-2004, 02:51 PM
I don't want reality... I want to escape it. I want entertainment. A good complex plot sometimes or mindless entertainment others.
That's what I always found so funny about "Seinfeld". They were so good at intertwining a bunch of seemingly unrelated things that somehow became related by the end of the show. Then the final show tied all of those other things together.