PDA

View Full Version : Some smoke coming from under manifolds

airwear
06-24-2006, 01:03 PM
I finally got the boat in the water for the first time this year. Everything seems to be working fine, however, when I run at 1,500 RPMs or greater and I open the engine cover, I see some smoke coming from under the manifolds, on both sides. The manifolds don't feel overly hot, engine temperature is fine, oil pressure is fine. After the first 10 minutes of running, I checked the oil and it was alittle too high, so I sucked some out and it is fine now. I sprayed the engine down pretty good with WD-40 when I winterized the boat, don't know if this is still burning off?!?!?

Any ideas what to check or what might be causing the smoke? Should I be concerned?

bigmac
06-24-2006, 01:17 PM
I finally got the boat in the water for the first time this year. Everything seems to be working fine, however, when I run at 1,500 RPMs or greater and I open the engine cover, I see some smoke coming from under the manifolds, on both sides. The manifolds don't feel overly hot, engine temperature is fine, oil pressure is fine. After the first 10 minutes of running, I checked the oil and it was alittle too high, so I sucked some out and it is fine now. I sprayed the engine down pretty good with WD-40 when I winterized the boat, don't know if this is still burning off?!?!?

Any ideas what to check or what might be causing the smoke? Should I be concerned?

If your oil pressure is OK, oil level remains OK, engine temp is OK, and engine runs OK and there's no oil leaking anywhere, then I'd assume the smoke is from the WD40.

rektek
06-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Airwear,
smoke coming from your engine compartment is not ok.
resolve it out before resuming normal boating activities.

WD40 is mostly solvent and evaporates, it also has a distinctive smell when heated and burns white. WD40 is flammable and can combust on a open flame.

oil spills during oil change and or poor sealing valve cover gaskets is also a common cause for oil burning smell from engines.

:woohoo:

airwear
06-25-2006, 09:13 AM
I read some other posts on this forum, but they all mentioned black or blue smoke. Mine is clearly white smoke, and it isn't a ton, but it certainly wasn't there last season. I am just unsure as to whether this is just a result of the winterization activities, either the WD-40 or fogging of the engine. I will spray WD-40 on some hot metal and see if it is the same type and smell of smoke.

JohnnyB
06-25-2006, 09:47 AM
In the future, you may choose to spray your engine down with food grade silicone spray for several reasons

1) environmentally friendly
2) inhaling it when it is burning off is probably better than WD
3) WD is petroleum based and will have an impact on the life of hoses, wire insulation, etc whereas silicone does not

Don't know that WD would produce noticeable smoke when it burns off unless you really soaked your engine with it. Did you change oil recently and spill some?

TMCNo1
06-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Is the smoke coming from just one manifold or both?

airwear
06-25-2006, 08:00 PM
The smoke was coming from both sides. I took it out for spin last night, just getting up on plane for 15-30 seconds and then slowing down and openning the engine cover. The smoke was getting less and less noticeable. Today I tried again and I couldn't see any more smoke. I went for my first wakeboard of the year, and went for a long tow so that I could get the feeling of the water and board back, when we stopped, my wife checked the engine and no smoke. So something must have just needed to burn off. I will keep a close watch the next few times out, but I think everything is ok.

TMCNo1
06-25-2006, 08:47 PM
That's encouraging, figured it was just WD40 that got on the manifolds.