PDA

View Full Version : Rubber mat replacement on fiberglass swim platform?

bigmac
06-24-2006, 12:28 PM
At the Minneapolis Boat Show several months ago, I met John Dorton. In the course of our conversation, I mentioned that the black rubber mat on my swim platform was tracking black stuff all over the boat. He knew about that and told me to email him about it - they were testing new material and he'd get me some. Sure enough - he did, through my dealer, and it just recently arrived.

In the back of my mind, I was thinking I'd have to pull the swim platform off and take it up to the dealer to get the stuff replaced...as it turns out, that doesn't appear to be the way it works. The new mat material appeared on my doorstep the other day, delivered by my dealer neatly rolled up and ready to install... :D .

I guess I install it myself. No problem, I appreciate MasterCraft's attention to the matter, all the way down from the CEO to my front door.

Uh...any suggestions how to do that removal/replacement? I'm assuming it's going to involve something very sharp and something else very sticky, but the details in between are less clear.

a) how does one remove the black rubber insert on a fiberglass swim platform with the greatest degree of efficiency and the lowest PITA factor?

b) what would be the best sticky-stuff (adhesive) to secure the rubber mat to the swim platform?

http://mccollister.info/mat.jpg

Hoosier Bob
06-24-2006, 12:55 PM
It would help to know what was used in the first place. If an adhesive was used like emblem or spray adhesive then I would use a blow dryer/heat gun and begin rolling back the mat. The hotter the better (hair dryer) but if you use a heat gun be careful (too hot!). Once heated adhesive should come up with the mat making for a cleaner removal. If adhesive remains use a plastic spreader and some goof off or goo gone or even a kerosene should be ok. Try a spot first. As far as reapplication they could have recommended something and I will leave that up to them. I am assuming they are using a sprayon adhesive. Sorry not much help! :o

bigmac
06-24-2006, 01:10 PM
It would help to know what was used in the first place. If an adhesive was used like emblem or spray adhesive then I would use a blow dryer/heat gun and begin rolling back the mat. The hotter the better (hair dryer) but if you use a heat gun be careful (too hot!). Once heated adhesive should come up with the mat making for a cleaner removal. If adhesive remains use a plastic spreader and some goof off or goo gone or even a kerosene should be ok. Try a spot first. As far as reapplication they could have recommended something and I will leave that up to them. I am assuming they are using a sprayon adhesive. Sorry not much help! :o

Thanks HB. I was wondering about using the contact adhesive used to secure formica laminate to wood...

east tx skier
06-24-2006, 03:06 PM
We have some foam adhered to my father-in-law's zip sled with that 3M 77 or whatever the spray adhesive is. In that application, it worked well and had remained intact for two years and counting. I'd call the dealer to find out for sure though.

bigmac
06-24-2006, 03:10 PM
We have some foam adhered to my father-in-law's zip sled with that 3M 77 or whatever the spray adhesive is. In that application, it worked well and had remained intact for two years and counting. I'd call the dealer to find out for sure though.

I haven't spoken with the dealer about it yet, but I was under the impression that one reason they dropped it on my doorstep (literally) was that they weren't sure either... :)

Hoosier Bob
06-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Have you PM'd Jim at BAWS? He is a sure bet to know!
See yah! :D

Workin' 4 Toys
06-24-2006, 05:08 PM
I would think contact cement would be the best bet. Because it wouldn't "ooze" out after its installed like glue would. But this is an assumption.

Removal = diesel fuel....:confused:
Or some 15-40 Amsoil....;)

TMCNo1
06-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Use 3M Hi-Tack #76 Spray Glue after cleaning all the old rubber and glue of platform. Outline the mat location on the platform and tape out the edge and mask out the area outside the mat location and spray backside of rubber mats and area inside tape on platform with a good coat of glue, let dry per instructions on can, then take care and place rubber mats in glue locations and press into place. This glue is tha same as contact cement, except it is spray on. Clean up edges as necessary with lacquer thinner. This is serious glue! :twocents:

bigmac
06-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Use 3M Hi-Tack #76 Spray Glue after cleaning all the old rubber and glue of platform. Outline the mat location on the platform and tape out the edge and mask out the area outside the mat location and spray backside of rubber mats and area inside tape on platform with a good coat of glue, let dry per instructions on can, then take care and place rubber mats in glue locations and press into place. This glue is tha same as contact cement, except it is spray on. Clean up edges as necessary with lacquer thinner. This is serious glue! :twocents:

Heh..I wasn't aware that 3M had such a wide lineup of "70-series" spray adhesives. The web site suggests that #76 might be better for rubber than #77. Thanks for the tip.

I sent an email to Kim Mitchell (MC Warranty and Tech Services), who has been very responsive and helpful thus far on the swim platform issue. I'm guessing she can give me a handle on the factory method.

TMCNo1
06-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Our local ACE Hardware carries the 3M label in about 4 varieties/numbers, plus Duro and Elmers, but 3M is much more expensive, works much better, and lasts longer and it's not worth the chance to get cheaper and have problems, plus some glues aren't necessarily waterproof as 3M is. Just read the label for applications. The labels also tell what to use for proper cleanup. Most Home Depot and Lowes also carries 3M and others and there is very little difference in price, compared to ACE and their convenience.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Heh..I wasn't aware that 3M had such a wide lineup of "70-series" spray adhesives. The web site suggests that #76 might be better for rubber than #77. Thanks for the tip.

I sent an email to Kim Mitchell (MC Warranty and Tech Services), who has been very responsive and helpful thus far on the swim platform issue. I'm guessing she can give me a handle on the factory method.
They will probably tell you to buy a new platform (less rubber mat).....:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
06-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Floor covering supply warehouses usually carry the "best" 3M glues. Not sure if you have any around you.

east tx skier
06-25-2006, 04:30 PM
If you go with the 3M spray, tape off everything. The overspray is pretty nasty stuff.