PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Fluid Change

scubat
10-21-2004, 01:50 PM
I apologize if any of these questions have been covered in past threads. I am getting ready to change the tranny fluid in my 97 PS-190 with the powerslot. I am using the top side oil changer that uses vacuum to suck all the fluid out so I have the removal process :confused: covered! What is the brand/grade of tranny fluid best suited for this tranny? Should I replace the tranny filter and how difficult is this? Any helpful tips to make the process go smooth? Thank you for the help.

G-man
10-21-2004, 02:08 PM
The best thing to do is to pump the oil into a graduated container so you can see how many oz's of oil to put back in. Should be mercon atf. If you keep the fluid change on a regular basis I wouldn't worry about the filter. I did mine every 100 hr's and never had a transmission problem.

NeilM
10-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Scubat, you need to check the model number on your tranny. Recently, MC is leaning toward 15w-40 motor oil in many of the transmissions, apparently to stop complaints about noise.. Download the 2004 owners manual from here - it has the updated table that shows which transmissions take which oil. Clearly, if you do decide to change to a different oil, changing the filter is a must.

Among many of my friends, the mentality seems to be to do the filter every second winterization..

Make sure you have something soft to land on when you find out how much that filter is worth, though..:eek3: Next year, I'm getting mine from SkiDim..

The topsider will work great, and George is dead on.. measure exactly how much you get out so you know how much to put back (it will take more if you replace the filter, of course).

Thrall
10-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Scubat,
I'd consult your dealer, or owners manual. Mine's a 96 1:1 and it takes ATF, not motor oil, not sure if it specs Mercon, or Dexron II or III.

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Clearly, if you change to a different oil, changing the filter is a must.

If you change to different oil, wouldn't it be a good idea to change it once and leave the filter, fill it, run it shifting and such so the oils mix, and change it again this time with the filter change?

The first change won't drail all the fluid, thats why I ask this, what do y'all think...

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Scubat,
I'd consult your dealer, or owners manual. Mine's a 96 1:1 and it takes ATF, not motor oil, not sure if it specs Mercon, or Dexron II or III.

Dexron III, according to MC (at least for my Velvet Drive 1:1).

scubat
10-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. My manual says Dexron II. Is this a brand or grade? Are people using synthetics also?

Thrall
10-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Good, 'cause that's what I put in this spring when I changed it. Haven't bothered to find out what it's supposed to take, yet. Seems Dexron III works well in alot of different applications. I've used it in a pinch in my snowmobile chaincase, vehicle differentials, crankcase in my dirtbike. I even ran a lawnmower on the stuff for a couple years just to see if it'd work. Hit a rock and bent the crank, but up 'til then it ran fine on ATF.
* Note, I do not endorse the use of ATF ouside of it's intended application, but if you do and it works, let me know.

JimN
10-21-2004, 04:37 PM
Dextron lll just has some additives that Dll doesn't. Like different/more anti-foaming. Don't use the type for Ford or Chrysler. If Dextron ll or lll is speced, use that unless MC or Indmar specifically says that they are changing their recommendation.

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Jim, my manual said Dextron II (351 Ford). I checked with MC when DII wasn't available and they said use DIII. In that I have no working knowledge of the chemistry and physics of it all, that's the underlying rationale.

JimN
10-22-2004, 03:41 AM
When your boat was built and the manual printed, Dex lll didn't exist. Hence, the switch to Dex lll after you couldn't find Dex ll.

east tx skier
10-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Yup, that's what I was made to understand.

JBoettch
10-30-2004, 10:03 PM
I noticed several folks mentioned measuring what you pump out of your tranny for a fluid change. Warmed mine up today, checked the level which was @ Full-Hot, pumped out all I could and got 1Qt, exactly. I assume there's a lot left in the hoses, etc. But, with a 2qt capacity on my 92 Prostar 1:1 Velvet, I expected to get more. What have others experienced?

Has anyone used synthetic? I was thinking of using AMSOIL's synthetic ATF which meets all the requirements per my manual. The literature from AMSOIL says it's safe to mix synthetic with petroleum based. Thoughts synthetics? Thoughts on mixing?

east tx skier
10-30-2004, 11:21 PM
Is it best to warm up the boat before removing the tranny fluid. I seem to remember that there's one process where it's easier to remove/check fluid when it's cool, but can't remember which.

Ben
11-01-2004, 07:38 AM
I get almost 2 qts. from my '94 1:1. I use a cheap a$$ drill pump from Home Depot (Plumbing dept, about $10-15). You have to mess with the sucker hose to make it gets in the right spots though, since I use a flexible / pliable hose. I have ziptied it to a screwdriver before to help "direct" it around, but the thought of dropping a ziptie in the tranny scares me a bit....

good luck.

lakes Rick
11-01-2004, 06:19 PM
It works better warm.. I feel good when I get out 1 1/2 qts...

André
11-01-2004, 07:22 PM
I use the same method as Ben and i can almost get it all out.You have to move the hose around but it works great!

ajnesbitt
11-12-2004, 03:05 PM
I get two quarts out of my '93 powerslot.

I use a primer bulb with a stiff tube on the intake so I can guide it around in the tranny, and a flexible tube on the outlet. I run the outlet into a graduated bottle so I can see how much I pumped out. Works great and no need for a drill. The whole thing costs less than $10.

TalleyHo
11-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure if you DD folks have this or not, but be sure to put some anti-sieze compound back on the compression screw. I think the gorilla at MC forgot to put some on mine, and the first time I tried to remove the cap I couldn't. Fortunately, my dealer saved my bacon and got me a replacement cap for the price of some chocolate chip cookies -- the tranny cap for the Hurth V-drive in my X is $125!

FWIW, my V-drive calls for 10w-40 - sticker says so on the tranny.

east tx skier
11-15-2004, 10:51 AM
I got about 1100 ml (little more than a quart) out of mine. Moved the pump hose all about, but that's all that was coming out.