PDA

View Full Version : Cruising RPM's

Mikey
06-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I am new to owning an inboard boat. My question is what RPM's should I try to keep it at when just cruising up and down the river? I appologize if this question is too vague.

erkoehler
06-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Are you looking to know what the best GPH will be and at what MPH?

Mikey
06-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Are you looking to know what the best GPH will be and at what MPH?

Im not too concerned with the the GPH. I just dont want to run the RPM's too high and wear the motor out quicker or run it too hot.

erkoehler
06-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Your temperature should remain about the same no matter what speed the engine is running. Watch your temp. gauge, and it should not fluctuate hardly at all.

Somewhere in the 20's is usually where I end up. Seems comfortable for the passengers, and not to slow so your getting passed by everyone.

bigmac
06-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Im not too concerned with the the GPH. I just dont want to run the RPM's too high and wear the motor out quicker or run it too hot.

MasterCrafts are top-quality high-performance boats. I personally wouldn't run the boat at full throttle all day, but you can work them hard as long as you maintain them properly.

Mikey
06-23-2006, 01:12 PM
The reason I ask is a couple of years ago I had a bass boat with a 90hp outboard and the motor wore out quickly. The mechanic who rebuilt it asked me what RPM's I would cruise at and when I told him he said I was running too high while cruising and thats what wore the motor out. I dont know if there is any truth to that but I dont want it to happen to my new boat.

erkoehler
06-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Haven't heard of that happening on the MC's. However, running WOT all the time is probably not a good idea.

Mikey
06-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Cool, thanks for the info.

rodltg2
06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
i would say between 28-32 mph is a good crusing speed . what rpms i dont know..each boat differ,.

6ballsisall
06-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Run it like you want and do ALL the maintence to a "T" and it's all good. That being said dont go wide open 100% of the time. You wouldn't do it to your car, don't do it to your boat. With proper maintenence and care you shouldn't have a lick of trouble.

TMCNo1
06-23-2006, 01:38 PM
The reason I ask is a couple of years ago I had a bass boat with a 90hp outboard and the motor wore out quickly. The mechanic who rebuilt it asked me what RPM's I would cruise at and when I told him he said I was running too high while cruising and thats what wore the motor out. I dont know if there is any truth to that but I dont want it to happen to my new boat.

Although you are talking about 2 different kinds of boats with 2 different types of powerplants, being used for 2 different purposes, I call B.S. by the mechanic!

6ballsisall
06-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Although you are talking about 2 different kinds of boats with 2 different types of powerplants, being used for 2 different purposes, I call B.S. by the mechanic!

Me too. Outboards of all motor types are all about the R's. They love to Rev!