PDA

View Full Version : Issue prioritization

Knoxes
10-21-2004, 12:09 PM
This was tough, but I'm glad I did it. It's subject to change, of course, as new ideas are presented, but this is basically what I'm looking for in a candidate.

1) Foreign policy of that promotes peace first and military action as an absolute last resort.
2) Protection of civil liberties
3) Balanced budget
4) National health-care
5) Pro-choice
6) Equal rights which includes gay marriage.
7) Environmental protection
8) Free trade

consider the pot stirred.

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 12:14 PM
9) Free ice cream every Friday!

/slams door to bunker. cranks music.

JimN
10-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Hey Doug- how big is your bunker?

I figure, if I have enough gin and bullets, I should be OK for a while.

Knoxes
10-21-2004, 12:37 PM
9) Free ice cream every Friday!

/slams door to bunker. cranks music.

NO CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS!! :mad:

;)

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Big enough. Come on down. When Grand Theft Auto-San Andreas is released on Tuesday, I might as well be locked in a bunker for all the priorities that will be set aside.

Stritt
10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
No to, 4,5,6 and 8. Guess that is why I am a Republican. Enough said, you won't change it.

Important point about a Libertarian President.......Republican and Democrat Congress will stop virtually everything......Maybe start with the House, then Senate and then President.

Guess my fathers GOP hasn't changed much after all. :)

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 01:10 PM
National Health Care??? NO WAY... I don't have insurance and I still don't want that. Whenever the gov't takes control of something it becomes a money loser. It'd be awful...imagine the loss of anything that resembles efficiency and effectiveness, that's what you'd have...

Oh, and the environment should be higher...

Knoxes
10-21-2004, 01:13 PM
How about some lists, guys. I'm not trying to change anybody's vote, but I think honest and respectful discourse is invaluable.

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Oh yeah, and the fact that you must mention Gay Marriage as a seperate subject from protection of civil liberties (which should cover discrimination) is a reason that shouldn't be on the list at all. If you start making laws for a certain group, you are going to be discriminating against another group. For instance, all those who support gay marriage (not me BTW), what do you think about people who are neither Homosexual nor Heterosexual, but Asexual???

I have a whole different argument about gay in general...if you want to hear it ask...but it involves medication...

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 01:19 PM
I am just glad we all agree on one thing...Mastercraft RULES...

River Rat
10-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Yes... to Bud Lite

No ....to Miller Lite

and my vote can't be swayed 8p
:friday:

JimN
10-21-2004, 01:24 PM
NO to Lite Beer!

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 01:27 PM
No kidding. It's beer. How could less be more?

I've considered homebrewing a clone of a lite beer, but was unable to find a good source for goat urine. :toast:

Knoxes
10-21-2004, 02:04 PM
What I mean by protecting civil liberties is that I'm concerned about the erosion of privacy and protection of civil liberties due to the Patriot Act.

Regarding gay marriage, I think you made a good point and I would edit that to say that I support marriage - between any two individuals.

And I think these are two separate issues, altho I obviously didn't clearly define them in the previous post.

Oh, and HAIL YES! MC RULES. Altho I have to admit I'm considering selling mine. :(

but only to buy another!! :D

Stritt
10-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Knoxes, no offense, but wouldn't your time be better used, knocking on doors or something. It seems to me that you keep running into a dead end. I'm in sales and I know when enough is enough. I do appreciate your effort and tenacity though.

And yes, MasterCraft rules.

Furthermore, I am a Coors Light type of guy.........Love the heavy lagers, but the belly doesn't agree.

Knoxes
10-21-2004, 02:31 PM
FELLAS - I HAVE NO AGENDA, OK.

Really.

We can discuss all kinds of sh!t here, including bikinis, beer, boats, other things that begin with b, music, football.... on and on.

It's just another topic, thats all.

I could just as easily say that the 91 Duke was the best college team of all time and we could beat that one around for awhile.

NeilM
10-21-2004, 03:14 PM
I liked Doug's idea. Free ice cream would be nice. Up here, for 4 months out of the year, you wouldn't even have to pay to refrigerate it...8p

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Knoxes, keep on posting. I don't see that anyone here is agenda pushing. As someone who does not affiliate with a particular party, I'm interested in views from both sides of the divide.

As for the Patriot Act, I have yet to meet anyone who has read it cover-to-cover. I, with a complete law library at my disposal, tried, but abandoned it after the 100th cross-reference. In general, I like requirements in law that the Legislative body revisit them and reapprove them, especially when, as was the case with the Patriot Act, the law is drafted in the wake of a horrific set of events.

NeilM
10-21-2004, 03:49 PM
As for the Patriot Act, I have yet to meet anyone who has read it cover-to-cover..
Same here. Your neighbours to the north have some serious concerns about the rumoured "latitude" within it, perhaps clashing with another's country's Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as privacy laws... Gets real complex when you start thinking about the impact on data and who's laws really apply...

NeilM
10-21-2004, 03:50 PM
hey, how come I have two posts with a post count of 948??

MarkP
10-21-2004, 03:50 PM
jimn
I could not agree more

NO to Lite Beer!

NeilM
10-21-2004, 03:51 PM
never mind.. brain fart...:uglyhamme

MarkP
10-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Neil

Didnít they explain that in your welcome pack

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 04:07 PM

Neil...quit padding your posting numbers...cheater... :purplaugh

MarkP
10-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Ktn

I may have to save that question and try it in a few Months :o

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Ktn

I may have to save that question and try it in a few Months :o

Are you gonna make me read my own posts??? What question??? I might know...but then again...I don't like to assume...cause it'll make a donkey of u and me :friday:

Knoxes
10-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Knoxes, keep on posting. I don't see that anyone here is agenda pushing. As someone who does not affiliate with a particular party, I'm interested in views from both sides of the divide.

As for the Patriot Act, I have yet to meet anyone who has read it cover-to-cover. I, with a complete law library at my disposal, tried, but abandoned it after the 100th cross-reference. In general, I like requirements in law that the Legislative body revisit them and reapprove them, especially when, as was the case with the Patriot Act, the law is drafted in the wake of a horrific set of events.

So how about doing a list? We're probably not very far off from each other. I think people here assume that I'm a bleeding heart liberal, but I think I hit some key conservative principles on that list. There are other GOP issues too, that I would support - they're just not as high on my priority list.

MarkP
10-21-2004, 04:34 PM
ktn

Neil's "post Psdder" ( how come I got two posts with the same # )

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Hey, all I need is one more TT Regulars worth of posts and I am up one level...you guys think I can get there today...its slow here at work today...

Neil...now I am padding... :headbang:

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 04:46 PM
1. The lake I ski on has no wake time from 7:30pm to 11am...*** :rant:
2. Fishermen don't think it counts as a wake if your bass boat is going 70mphs
3. Should be allowed to spray anything/anyone close enough to the water while on one ski. JK
4. Boat insurance should not depend on # of points on my Drivers Liscense
5...I'll think about it...

MarkP
10-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Ktn

Sure you can!!

Go post a picture somewhere. Thatís always good for a few

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 04:57 PM
I posted a picture...ok, let the posts start rolling...

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Knoxes, you and I probably have several things about which we agree (and quite possibly a few areas where we differ). I already voted, and I feel good about who got my vote. No need for me to take a look at whether one thing is more important to me than another at this point. Truth be told, they're all pretty important. I, like many on this board clearly, think about the issues and don't cast my vote willy-nilly. But as far as who got my vote for whatever office, that, as always, isn't for public consumption.

That being said, the ice cream thing might need to be higher than #9.

USA! USA! USA!

Ric
10-21-2004, 05:11 PM
I like your style Doug, but be careful, as standing in the middle of the road can get you run over.

Ric
10-21-2004, 05:16 PM
ktn, I too am hammering away at the posts but there's no catching Etex
I've learned the photo upload thing so you're all really going to get sick of me playing with that!!!!!!!!! :purplaugh

Thrall
10-21-2004, 05:18 PM
3. Should be allowed to spray anything/anyone close enough to the water while on one ski. JK
4. Boat insurance should not depend on # of points on my Drivers Liscense

Couldn't agree more!

Knoxes
10-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Knoxes, you and I probably have several things about which we agree (and quite possibly a few areas where we differ). I already voted, and I feel good about who got my vote. No need for me to take a look at whether one thing is more important to me than another at this point. Truth be told, they're all pretty important. I, like many on this board clearly, think about the issues and don't cast my vote willy-nilly. But as far as who got my vote for whatever office, that, as always, isn't for public consumption.

That being said, the ice cream thing might need to be higher than #9.

USA! USA! USA!

I can respect that, Tex.

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 05:30 PM
I need someone to critique my form...

Oh, this was behind my Glastron...

MarkP
10-21-2004, 05:34 PM
LOL The form is great. I'll bet the wake is ok behind that old 115 tall boy. What year is that merc??

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Ric, that's a good one. Certainly nicer than some of the fence post jokes I've heard.

But, to respond, as for being middle of the road, I simply see no reason to tack a party label on myself when I'm (1) not running for office, and (2) don't agree with all of the tenets to which that party subscribes. Political parties are really just about financial support for candidates. How many candidates out there act in accordance with all of the the tenets of their respective party. Not John Kerry. Not George Bush.

Look at the guy in Austin, TX (totally spaced on his name - former D.A. I think) who ran for congress as a Libertarian, lost, ran later as a Republican and won. He now votes, at least on issues of spending, just like most Libertarians would (and perhaps like a Republican used to). As an informed voter, I must look past the parenthetical on the end of the candidates name, and use the internet(s) ;) to figure out where this person really stands. Then, like Knoxes suggested (and only in writing this do I really see the brilliance of what he's been getting at all day), I prioritize what's important to me and see if it coincides what that candidate professes is important to him.

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Oh, and somewhere on my list of priorities.

#_ Must be able to pronounce "nuclear."

/huge pet peeve.

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 05:42 PM
LOL The form is great. I'll bet the wake is ok behind that old 115 tall boy. What year is that merc??

Oh...the wake is great. The engine is a 1980...so it is prop rated. I'll post a picture of the wake if i can find one...

(I'll get two posts out of this reply...)

Ric
10-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Ya, having some fun with you there for sure!

Agreed and I think none of us will succeed if we are single issue voters or single issue candidates (Ross Perot)

Libertarian, I definitely lean to the right, but not so far as to say legalize dope and pistols on each of our belts.... Does that mean I vote a party line? A resounding NO. I used to love hearing trafficant's speeches, look what happened to him :eek:

It's just as wasteful for a dem to vote nader as it was for a rep to vote perot, you won't win, so find another way to get your point across, that's what I'm saying.

It would be nice for kerry to admit loudly that he is FOR all those things that knoxes mentioned... Really nice for me anyway! ;)

cool pic ktn!

MarkP
10-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Just keep saying it

nuclear, nuclear, nuclear, nucler, nucler, nuculur

Oh, and somewhere on my list of priorities.

#_ Must be able to pronounce "nuclear."

/huge pet peeve.ktn

I had an old 79 115 on my Checkmate. with the 19 and 21 props. It was a cool powerhead

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Here...this was one of two that kinda show the wake...the engine was usually inthe way...

JimN
10-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Has anyone noticed that the Democrats are making a big deal out of W's mispronounciation of Nuclear? I find it odd that they have such short memories since an ex-President who is one of their own said it the same way, and he was either on a nuclear sub/ship or studied nuclear physics.

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 05:49 PM
ktn

I had an old 79 115 on my Checkmate. with the 19 and 21 props. It was a cool powerhead

This is a 1980 CVX-16

I ran a 17 on it for the hole shot...believe it or not, it ran faster top end with the 17 than with a 19 or 21...top speed I ever got out of it was 57mph gps

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 05:58 PM
...and pistols on each of our belts....

Whoa, careful there, Ric. Don't make me come down there and sing "Texas, our Texas." :D We'd be lucky if we could figure out who's carrying a pistol by looking at his/her belt.

That we can have 'em may be in the Constitution, but where we can carry 'em is an issue of State's rights (er uh, okay, it's in the Constitution, too). Certainly makes me think twice (after the fact) about honking my horn. :steering:

/has lots of guns, but feels okay going to work without one.

Mark, I'm LMFBFWASPAORAOTF! Say it with me ... :D

What good does it do to "surround yourself with smart people" if not one of them, in four years, can bother to tell you that you're repeatedly using a word that isn't in the dictionary.

/stepping off my English major soapbox; searching for appropriate emoticon; there, that'll do; enjoy :rant:

ktn_cmu
10-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Well...it's time to go home...looks like I'll have to round out the day with only 78...dang...maybe tomorrow...

"Screw you guys, I'm going home"

See you later

Kyle

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Has anyone noticed that the Democrats are making a big deal out of W's mispronounciation of Nuclear? I find it odd that they have such short memories since an ex-President who is one of their own said it the same way, and he was either on a nuclear sub/ship or studied nuclear physics.

Jim, I've never heard anyone, Democrat or Republican, say anything about it, not that they may not have. I wasn't trying to make it a partisan issue. It's not a word. And, in my humble opinion, if you have access to the football and the button, you ought to say it correctly. It's just a pet peeve of mine and probably resides lower on my list than "Ice cream Friday."

Which ex-president was it that was stationed on a nuclear sub. We know it wasn't Clinton. If it was Carter, you'll have to give me a pass as I was five years-old when he left office.

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 06:07 PM
"Screw you guys, I'm going home"

So your name's Kyle, yet you quote Cartman. Interesting dichotomy. I'm sure we'll have it worked out for you by the time you get back. Have a great day.

dmac
10-21-2004, 09:58 PM
No to, 4,5,6 and 8. Guess that is why I am a Republican. Enough said, you won't change it.

Important point about a Libertarian President.......Republican and Democrat Congress will stop virtually everything......Maybe start with the House, then Senate and then President.

Guess my fathers GOP hasn't changed much after all. :)

Ditto all the way.

stevo137
10-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Here I go editing again! :D

Hoosier Bob
10-21-2004, 11:48 PM
220, 221 What ever It Takes!!!!!!!! :D

JimN
10-22-2004, 04:37 AM
It was Carter and of all people, he should be able to pronounce the word. Let's go back to primary school- "sound it out". It's not that hard. I hope I'm not midunderestimating anyone here.

east tx skier
10-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Jim, I think you and I agree. They should all be able to pronounce it.

I'd just like to iterate something I said yesterday. I really like what Knoxes tried to do here. He suggested that everyone list what issues were important to him. Now while I'm not planning listing mine here, I think, as he's suggesting, that it's an important thing for a person to do before he votes in any election. What I find interesting is how quickly this thread turned into a political pep rally. I guess what really called it to my attention is when it was suggested that Knoxes give it up and start going door-to-door. As Knoxes responded, I don't think that was his point. He was just encouraging people to look beyond the parenthetical at the end of the candidate's last name and weigh the issues.

I'm glad everyone is so interested in this election and its outcome. Hopefully, we'll have some good voter turnout this time. It's good to see so many people involved in the process no matter who they support.

Good times. Good times.

Way to go Knoxes.

Stritt
10-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Well, since I was somewhat quoted, I feel compelled to respond.

EastTx, I respectfully disagree with you and your assessment about Knoxes intentions. I quote from a previous Topic (not response).

"I guess I'm surprised that conservatives are still supporting Bush. He's abandoned the principles of the GOP - fiscal responsibility, small federal government, personal liberties and hands off foreign policy. He seems to have found some ground that neither party would whole-heartedly endorse." Knoxes.

Now, I do agree that I would hope that everyone of us that have it within our legal rights would look at the issues beyond party affilliation.

In Knoxes, post his view points are quite clear. I felt that his second Topic post was an attempt to go after the same point within different parameters. (my assumption). Knoxes clearly has a point of view, he is within his rights to express those views, as a receipient of his posting I also felt complelled to express my right of speech as well, whether anyone agrees or not. That is what makes the America the best place to live in the world. He makes good points in his intial post but never follows through, rather waiting for points to arise then tackle within his viewpoint. (my assumption).

Now, with that said, what am I doing debating a lawyer. post. :uglyhamme

Knoxes
10-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Well, I had good intentions starting this thread, but it doesn't really matter. I mean, everything gets hijacked eventually. I don't take offense to that - gawd knows I've done it plenty of times myself. I sure would like some others to step up though.

It's the nature of American political discussion these days anyway.

Q: Where do you stand on this issue?
A: The other guy's an azzhole.

:D

edited: Oh, and thanks Tex. I appreciate being appreciated.

east tx skier
10-22-2004, 03:07 PM
35th, I hated to 'sort of' quote you as I knew it would elicit a response, and I didn't want you to think I was disparaging you or accusing you of turning this into some sort of partisan affair. That wasn't my intent. But your post did cause me to take a step back and look at this thread, as well as reread the question. I didn't mention it in the original post because I tend to be long-winded in these sorts of things already and didn't want to belabor the point. I also couldn't remember who said what and didn't want to open a new window to find out - I'm a lazy, lazy man sometimes. ;)

I read the other thread, and figured the reason he started the new thread was to, in effect, separate his beliefs from what he was trying to do, as much as anyone in an e-community as quaint as the one we've go here possibly can. Although I certainly see your point, I think Knoxes raises a valid issue nonetheless. Had someone else posted a question asking people to rank issues in order of importance to them, my bet is that it would have ultimately tunred into a 'rah-rah, my candidate can beat up your candidate' affair nonetheless.

We can disagree as to his intentions. Doesn't bother me. And the endorsement olympics don't bother me a bit either. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them. I love reading all this stuff (even if I continue to post my "Aw jeez, not this crap again" picture). I just found the evolution of this thread interesting, and now I've said what I wanted to say.

This is also a good example about why I don't talk about who ultimately got my vote.

/pulls yellow handle; pops canopy; ejects! "When I hit the ground, the first round's on me." :toast:

ktn_cmu
10-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Speaking of the olympics...ha ha ha Well...wouldn't that be a change in the direction of this thread...

east tx skier
10-22-2004, 03:39 PM
If somebody talks about gymnastics and makes another one of those stupid flip-flop jokes, I'm taking my toys and going home. ;)

Stritt
10-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Tx- Oddly enough, this is the first year that I can say that I have truely paid attn to the Presidential campaigns. I think it is a wonderful oppurtunity to live in a soceity that can openly debate politics.

Knoxes, again I appreciate your tenacity, whether I agree with your points, or not.

Everyone will have differences in this campaign, the important part is after all votes have been casted to support either canidate in their victory.

Now, what I really need is my boat sitting on the end of dock so I can go skiing on this beautiful Friday afternoon. That would make a perfect day.

It's 2:40pm and it's about time to kick off the weekend :toast:

ktn_cmu
10-22-2004, 03:55 PM
If somebody talks about gymnastics and makes another one of those stupid flip-flop jokes, I'm taking my toys and going home. ;)

Is that all it'll take for you to get all your Barbie crap outta here??? :)

Knoxes
10-22-2004, 04:05 PM
You know, 35th, after re-reading your post, it occured to me that my posting might be construed as trolling.

I hope that isn't the case, and if people here felt that way, I'd appreciate knowing that. You guys are a group I'd rather not alienate.

ktn_cmu
10-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Freakin trollers...getten their lines all tangled up in my bouys...

Oh...ha ha ha, that's not what you meant...Knoxes, I didn't think you were trolling. I enjoyed this thread...kinda upset that as this one picked up, the swimsuit one slowed down...but...oh well...

east tx skier
10-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Hey, lay off Barbie's dream boat! :D

sfitzgerald351
10-25-2004, 03:55 PM
What the heck... here's my list

1) Education
2) Balanced Budget and decreased gov't spending
3) Foreign policy of that promotes peace first and military action as an absolute last resort.
4) Environmental Protection
5) Protection of civil liberties
6) Better gun control (tough to reconcile with 5, I know)

999) No 'lite' beer
10,000) Free ice cream

Ric
10-25-2004, 04:13 PM
fitz if there were no lite beer I'd need an 800 hp motor in my ski boat!

sfitzgerald351
10-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Nah, you'd just need the 454 like me! :banana: