PDA

View Full Version : Wranglers

sassydog
06-22-2006, 03:05 PM
putting plenty of hrs in and socking away all that cash to buy a new truck this fall(hopefully). A silverado 1500 has always been in the back of my head, but very recently, i've been infatuated with Jeep Wranglers. I know there is no comparison between a pickup and a jeep, but i want to know if any of you guys own/owned one. I've heard the soft top is a huge pain in the ***, it's loud and a a rough ride, but i've also heard counters to those arguments. Are the risks worth the rewards? I'm also not a huge off-roader, so i want to know what you guys think of it's highway capabilities. Looks like a great summer truck, but is it worth going through cold chicago winters to get there? I'm 22, no wife/kids and no boat to tow; with a dodge dakota as my work truck, and i;m thinking a wrangler can be a ton of fun. any advice is appreciated

PendO
06-22-2006, 03:08 PM
If you are single a Jeep is definitely better than a truck ... I had a buddy trade in his Jetta for a Jeep back in college ... co-eds dig jeeps:) Plus, all the jeep guys do that wave thing, kinda like how motorcyclists all wave to each other ... good luck, happy hunting:)

Workin' 4 Toys
06-22-2006, 03:12 PM
RUBICON!!!!
They now have a standard wheelbase, and the unlimited, and do to be released soon the 4 door (yes wrangler).
I've had 4 Jeeps, and a relative of mine is on his 9th. Several buddies have them as well, from mild to wild.
I sold my last wrangler a year and a 1/2 ago in parts. Took me 3 years to build it.
I don't think the tops a pain at all. The new ones can handle the hard and soft. And I think the 4 door Wrangler will come apart in sections.

You thinking New?

sanjuan23
06-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Loved/Hated mine when I had it. But then again it's a Jeep and I knew that going into it. Great for those days it wasnt 100+ and some shade to park in. Not great for the extended amount of driving that I was doing. But the limited capaicity noise and lack of A/C just drove me to my end. If I had room I would gladly have another one (Unlimited or new 4 door) as a 3rd ride.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-22-2006, 03:20 PM
On that note, you can get A/C much easier now than a few years ago with the makeshift systems added later. Not that it does much good if the roof is at home.

east tx skier
06-22-2006, 03:31 PM
My brother had a CJ7 and it was fun, but I was always fond of the Wagon.

sanjuan23
06-22-2006, 03:44 PM
There is a guy down outside of Kerrville that is taking them Wagons and doing restorations on them. They look absolutely amazing. I loved the ones my parents had for years. But talk about a gas hog.

pq2
06-22-2006, 05:52 PM
go for a jeep, i use mine for everything....

btw, chiks love jeeps :cool:

pq2
06-22-2006, 05:55 PM
....another..... :headbang:

jmyers
06-22-2006, 05:58 PM
The "chic" thing is definetly true!! I loved mine it was a "92" with a soft top it was kind of a pain in the neck, but I rented a new one in Hawaii and the soft top was very easy to deal with! Note: I was single at that time, and my girlfriend now wife couldn't(and still can't) drive a stick shift so I had to sell it and got a Grand Cherokee! Hope that helps!

agua4fun
06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
I think thats the same question everybody asks when they look at buyng a jeep.
They are built about 6 miles from where i live!!!
I had a '91 for 4 years, but sold it because it i wanted to buy a MC and it max's @ 2000lb towing capacity. Ironic...

that being said, my buddy pulls his X star with his, but never over 5 miles. no problem with pulling the weight, but you may not stop :(
Also, bigger tires = worse towing

It was SO fun to drive when it was nice out, great in the snow, and perfect off road. I'm about the same age as you (26) but after 6 hours riding, it would really beat me up. I hear its a better ride in the newer ones now.

Friends will beg to ride when its nice, and you cant convince them to get in if its too hot/cold. Id own one as a second car, and miss mine every time i pass them.

Id reccomend buying one now because as you get older, they get less and less practical. Resale is great too! almost like an MC

go for it!

agua4fun
06-22-2006, 06:12 PM
go for a jeep, i use mine for everything....

btw, chiks love jeeps :cool:

Hey PQ2,

I noticed the kiteboard, nice!! looks like a good place. if you ever get to michigan/ohio i can give you some good spots

-end of threadjack-

pq2
06-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey PQ2,

I noticed the kiteboard, nice!! looks like a good place. if you ever get to michigan/ohio i can give you some good spots

-end of threadjack-

thanks, no kitetrips for the moment, but i will have it in mind, i had only kite in south padre island in USA, here we have great spots also, if you ever come to cancun send me a PM.

bucky
06-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I've got an '03 Rubicon and will for life. I have the hard top and it's just like a car inside. Plus, once I had a little practice, I could hang the hard top from the garage roof faster than you could take off a soft top.
I tow my '01 190 all the time, just avoid the interstate. And nothing handles slick ramps like 4-lo with locked axles.
Plus, cruise the beach one time with the doors off and you'll be throwing out your cooler to make room for more girls.
That being said, it gets 16.5 mpg town or highway, accelerates like a yugo, and is electronically limited to 85. And with the big tires and short wheelbase, that's a good thing.
All in all, for a young single guy, unless you can afford a Ferrari, I couldn't think of any vehicle that would be better.

east tx skier
06-22-2006, 07:27 PM
There is a guy down outside of Kerrville that is taking them Wagons and doing restorations on them. They look absolutely amazing. I loved the ones my parents had for years. But talk about a gas hog.

Yeah. www.wagonmaster.com. Clean, but pricey. And gas guzzlers for sure. 10/13 properly tuned and running right. Towing, I'll guess 6. Not the best towing machines. Like 2.73:1 in 2WD. Now 4WL is a monster!

jimmer2880
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
The new softtops (I believe it's '04 & better - but ICBW) are actually quieter than my '92 hardtop. They changed the fabric. Somewhere along the way, they also changed how the softtop goes up & down. The new ones are WAY easier than my '92.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-22-2006, 11:40 PM
The new softtops (I believe it's '04 & better - but ICBW) are actually quieter than my '92 hardtop. They changed the fabric. Somewhere along the way, they also changed how the softtop goes up & down. The new ones are WAY easier than my '92.
The big soft top changes came in '97 (I believe) Then there is always Bestop on older ones to make things easy.
The only PITA part of the new soft tops is really the rear window.

sanjuan23
06-23-2006, 12:30 AM
When we went to Napa back in March I had the opportunity and just couldnt pass it up to rent a Rubicon. Loved cruising around in it forgot how great they handle around town and on tight roads. Now after reading this thread I forgot how much I miss my '93.

Leroy
06-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Doug; Someone gave you that thing, right???

My brother had a CJ7 and it was fun, but I was always fond of the Wagon.

east tx skier
06-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Bought it. Sold it three years later for the same money. NADA went up $1,000 when it turned 20 years old. Repairs were cheaper than a car payment. Loved that car. Name was Matilda.

Dealt with self-changing oil, i.e., put it in the top; it falls out the bottom, for the first year.

Ric
06-23-2006, 01:17 AM
no Gman comments here?..

sassy, towing options aside, I'd go with the jeep, just don't expect it to be maintenance free. Wranglers are much cooler than pickups

east tx skier
06-23-2006, 10:34 AM
...just don't expect it to be maintenance free.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Almost makes parting with money fun. Almost.

Kevin 89MC
06-23-2006, 11:04 AM
We rented a softtop wrangler in Hawaii in '97, it was awesome! Top was super easy to operate, and fairly quiet when up. The wife wouldn't let me take the doors off and go blast around on the beach, but we still had a blast. Not sure I'd want it as a daily driver, but as a second vehicle, it'd be great.

pq2
06-23-2006, 12:40 PM
sweet leylani......my hawaian dancer that shakes her butt all the time

Datdude
06-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Wranglers are for women :D . There are two hotties in town here driving the new extended Wranglers.

Just kidding about the women comment. I actually had a 1990 soft top when I was 16. My parents thought it a good idea for them to get one for me and drive it when they wanted to, but they never drove it. All in all it was a fun vehicle to have, and with an unlimited pile of cash I would get one now just for S&Giggles. My main complaint was the 4cyl. was a POOCH. It would barely hold 65mph on the highway. When we decided to sell it, we put it in the driveway at the lake and it was sold within one hour! I drove it for a year, put 16,000 miles on it and sold it for what we paid (kinda like my last MC).

Rockman
06-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey Sassy,

Boy are you going to love this one...guess who owns a Jeep Wrangler? :confused:

Lazy Ray! :steering: Your hero! He has his to go from Paols to Hinsdale. I think he only got the 4 banger and a hard top but that thing has to have at least 200k miles on it.

I think you should get a rag top one and we could put a 4 inch lift kit on it and some big BFs, a snorkle and some fog lamps. The fog lamps we could use when we play Bean Bags... :D