PDA

View Full Version : Finally fixed my gas tank sender

Kevin 89MC
06-22-2006, 12:29 PM
After 3 years of pulling the back panel to check the gas level (sure was glad the tank walls were see thru!) I replaced my sender. I bought a new sender from Skidim last fall, but just got around to actually checking it last night. I was hoping it wasn't the gauge! When I grounded the signal wire, the gauge pegged, so I knew it was the sender. Good thing I guessed right and already bought it! Pulling the tank was fairly easy, even with ~1/2 a tank full. It gave me a good chance to clean back there a bit too. Took about 2 hours. It would have been much faster (but not as fun) without my girls "helping" (playing) with me.
The old sender still worked, but the float didn't float. That explained the almost-always empty reading (the gauge would move a bit when jostled.) The new sender needed to be cut, but came with pretty good directions. I may have to re-calibrate it, we'll see. The old one would read empty when there was about 1-2" of gas in the tank, which makes sense because the fuel pickup is about 1" off the bottom. I'll keep a close eye on the next few tanks. Here are some pics (the last one showing victory!):

rspiecha
06-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Great to know it was easy. I've been thinking about doing the same. Mine gets stuck. I know my burn rate so, I don't need to check that often, but would be nice to know exactly where I stand on fuel level.

Rob

funonthewater
06-14-2014, 12:53 AM
Can you help me with where the green wire goes to. I also have another wire coming off the black wire that I believe is an extra ground that someone added prior to me taking the boat. I'm planning on getting rid of the extra black wire. The only thing that I can come up with is that the green wire may go up to the bolts for the filler neck, but I'm not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated. 1989 prostar 190 project.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-14-2014, 01:11 AM
Replace my sender last year. Same simple job though I didn't have helpers. Nice to have the gauge working properly.

cbryan70
06-14-2014, 01:20 AM
I did the repair and it is now working. I had about 28 gallons in the tank when I did it and it was easy to pull the tank still

megapea
06-14-2014, 02:08 AM
I replaced my defective stock sender unit last year with one from WEMA USA. It is all stainless steel and has a float instead of the resistance measuring stock unit. Works great now, and I won't be running out of gas like I did in the middle of the lake when my stock unit failed!

catamount
06-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Can you help me with where the green wire goes to. I also have another wire coming off the black wire that I believe is an extra ground that someone added prior to me taking the boat. I'm planning on getting rid of the extra black wire. The only thing that I can come up with is that the green wire may go up to the bolts for the filler neck, but I'm not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated. 1989 prostar 190 project.

Yes, the filler neck is supposed to be grounded! I can't remember what color was attached to my filler (I replaced the sender in my '87 last summer) but I do remember that it was there. It's attached to one of the three bolts that hold the filler on.

funonthewater
06-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Thank you this is very helpful. Attached are some photos of how I have everything set up. The one question remaining is the extra black wire that I remove. The one black wire coming from the sender unit to the connector was split and someone used a wirenut to splice an additional short wire coming off of it. It seemed like a dangerous set-up as well as being unnecessary, so I removed it and used a barrel connector and shrink tubing to reconnect the original wires and ensure everying was covered to eliminate any potential for a spark. Does anyone remember having an extra black wire? In the prior photos on this thred I did not see one.